Author Topic: grooming questions  (Read 2603 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
grooming questions
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:08:23 am »
Hi,

I am thinking of taking Jenny to get her feet fur trimmed as she collects and tracks tons of snow, which gets stuck in her feet. It seems sometimes like I am picking a horse's hooves to get the snowballs out! Also, when she pees, she seems to get some on her fur, which is now discolored and smells. I was going to ask a groomer to trim/shave that area so that this doesn't happen anymore. Anyone else do this before? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Jenn
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: grooming questions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 02:17:22 am »
You can take a small pair of scissors and just trim the hair between her toes and around her paws, to eliminate the problem of snow tracking.  We trim the hair on our cats butts to keep poo from sticking to it.  I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with her.  Or, I keep a pack of baby wipes by the back door to wipe my dogs fur, after they go out to pee, just to eliminate the discoloration and smell.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 02:24:43 am »
I use regular shears to cut all the fur in between Lily's toes every month and thinning shears to trim the fur around private areas.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 02:50:22 am »
It is true, you can do it yourself with a pair of small scissors, however I take Marley into get it done. I find it hard to hold him in place while trying to snip away while I am crawling between his legs on the floor. At the groomers they have a platform that lifts and it is a quick 10 minute job. I get his nails cut, under foot trimmed and also the hair on the top of his paws trimmed. It only cost $10 and I go about every 6 weeks.
Makes a huge difference in the amount of snow getting caught in his toes and we stop a lot less on our walks to pick at his paws  ;D
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 02:58:55 am »
Arkyd like his snow ball on his feet when he comes back in he'll spend 10 minutes each time chomping on his treat baring toes hehe

But i do think its a good idea to get the hair around the ewok's nest trimmer especially if it smells

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:04:51 am »
I brought Phoebe in to be groomed and she dremmeled her nails and trimmed her feet as well as her hocks, and that helped a ton.  She also trimmed up her private area too.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix