Author Topic: High protein and large breed puppies.  (Read 6542 times)

Lyn

High protein and large breed puppies.
« on: February 01, 2008, 06:08:47 am »
From what I've always read is that high protein and large breed puppies is a no no. Now I had this discussion with my vet. Yeah I know most vets don't know diddly about nutrition. But my vet actually surprised me.

He said it's not the protein level that causes our big paws to grow too quickly.. it's the ash, calcium and phosphorus content. Which you know makes sense.  :-\

Orijen kinda touches on the same info here concerning their high protein large breed puppy food. http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/documents/ORIJEN_White_paper.pdf

Any thoughts on this?

List

Re: High protein and large breed puppies.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 06:20:25 am »
I started my puppy out on orijen large breed, although he isn't a giant breed I was concerned about the whole high protein thing. But he has done great on it. Although he weighs more than his siblings, the vet comments all the time about how muscular and athletic he is. He didn't grow faster than his siblings, they're all around the same height, but Boston has a very lean muscular body. At about 8 months hes around 75 - 80lbs.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 06:20:47 am »
I agree with your vet 100%. BTW, another vet had posted a very nice explanation a while ago... dobedmv

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,16962.15.html

After Lily stopped eating turkey and chicken at 6-7 months I had to add kibble to her diet. I have been feeding her grain free Nature's Variety. She is 1.5 now. She was growing nice and slow.
I have noticed a few people on BPO who fed pups limited protein level food had orthopedic issues. Obviously, it's not all about the protein. Just my 2 cents  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 06:47:41 am »
I saw a couple Bloodhound puppies today that were weaned onto Orijen large breed puppy. They were solid and all muscle and so shiny.. I love the loose saggy skin. LOL But they looked amazing.

It got me wondering, so I called and talked to my vet out of curiosity. :D Now I should have asked him the percentages for ash/calcium/phosphorus. Half the conversation was a tad too technical for me so I was too busy trying to process everything else he said and forgot to ask. LOL

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:35:00 am »
You're right. 

I've done lots of reading on high protein but still chickened out when it came to feeding my puppies.  Although, I did switch one of my dogs to a high protein kibble at 1 yr old.  The high protein and low carbs have kept him lean and the food has been AMAZING for my older and extremely inactive Leo with major bowels issues.

I've always feed a few % higher than the recommended 24% protein and have never had a problem and they've always gotten bully sticks and such for treats which are high in protein.  Then there's the raw feeders who have had great results. 

I'm just gonna keep stickin' with what works for me.  Maybe one day I'll get braver.

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 08:55:50 am »
Actually I have heard the similar theory before. Below is a thread about this topic I posted a while ago:
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,17922.0.html
I tend to think higher protein level is better than higher Carbohydrates level, but I didn't take plunge to higher protein dog food either.