Author Topic: Puppy Business or Pyr Business?  (Read 2609 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Puppy Business or Pyr Business?
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:28:17 pm »
Bear(13 weeks old)Pyr is obsessed with water :o He will play in is water bowl and paw all the water out then lay in it,He goes out onto the back porch with my Cocker in the fenced yard to potty and he digs into buddys water bowls on the porch,first empting the water secondly making a mess on the porch and third getting himself soaked :P
I use milk jugs to pour water into the bowls outside,While i am pouring the water he will stick his entire head under the stream!

I have not read that pyrs are water dogs? :-\

Is this puppy play or do pyrs love water?

IMO i think he gets hot and digs at the water to cool himself.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Puppy Business or Pyr Business?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 12:55:20 am »
Miles loves water too! On the summer, we got a little plastic pool, and he had a BALL splashing and playing in it. Is it a puppy thing or a pyr thing? I do not know, but I'd love to hear what others have to say!!!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 01:05:19 am »
Jake is almost 2.  Last summer, he was the only one of our dogs that we could get to go in the pool.  He would only go in, if we were there and encouraged him, but once he was in, he loved to swim and play.  I've been told that some pyrs love water and swimming and some don't.  It is apparently more an individual thing than a breed trait.  My Springers loved to swim and would get in and swim laps, by themselves.  Max and Cody are having absolutely nothing to do with the pool. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:02:15 am »
Jenny avoids all water--when we walk on the wooded trails near our house, she makes sure to step around puddles and uses the people bridges over the creeks. She's definitely NOT a water dog!!  ::)
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 02:10:30 am »
Bear(13 weeks old)Pyr is obsessed with water :o He will play in is water bowl and paw all the water out then lay in it,He goes out onto the back porch with my Cocker in the fenced yard to potty and he digs into buddys water bowls on the porch,first empting the water secondly making a mess on the porch and third getting himself soaked :P
I use milk jugs to pour water into the bowls outside,While i am pouring the water he will stick his entire head under the stream!
That is exactly how Phoebe was with her water when she was very little and when it would rain and we went for walks she would walk in the water that collected in the street it was so cute.  We took her to the lake and she would dig in the sand for hours, but never went into the lake.
And now she hates baths so it will be interesting to see if she likes to play in the water come spring its all frozen here.

I have not read that pyrs are water dogs? :-\

Is this puppy play or do pyrs love water?

IMO i think he gets hot and digs at the water to cool himself.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix