Author Topic: Bubbalove raw food  (Read 3371 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Bubbalove raw food
« on: February 02, 2008, 04:20:28 am »
Hey, I didn't want to get totally off topic on the other thread, since she was looking for specific info for her dogs skin conditions.  You can go to the message board home page here, and search on raw diet.  There are a lot of threads that discuss faw food.  You can also go to any of these websites, as well as probably a hundred more to get more info and read what other's think.  Be prepared to find a lot of conflicting information.  You will have to decide what is right for you and your animals.   http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/sampleraw.htm
http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm
http://www.rawlearning.com/
http://www.barfworld.com/
I am going to change mine over to try and combat some of the existing health issues we have been dealing with.  I don't want them to live on shots and pills and that is where we are headed, if I don't find something else.  As near as I can tell, I am going to be cutting the cost of feeding out 3 boys in half.  That amounts to almost $50 per week.  That is not my reason for doing it but it sure is an added benefit that I wasn't expecting.  I thought it would cost more than kibble, but then I supplement their kibble, a lot.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Bubbalove raw food
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 02:29:50 am »
Wow, thanks so much...
After I posted I realized that I could just search the site...I am kind of a knucklehead!  I did find a lot of info.  I saw that I should probably not mix kibble and raw, but there were varying opinions on this.  I think I will also talk to my vet about it.  He has experience with the breed, so hopefully he can enlighten me along with these articles.  Thanks so much...I will keep you posted.
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 12:06:59 am »
Hi,

There are quite a few of us that feed raw. I do because of Harleys skin issues. It has really helped out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:24:34 am »
Hi,

There are quite a few of us that feed raw. I do because of Harleys skin issues. It has really helped out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nina

Nina,
Thanks for the offer, I am sure I will use you.  I don't really have a particular reason to switch Kana, I just have been doing more thinking about all of the "stuff" that's in dog foods (do wild dogs eat barley?) Anyhow, we were just at the butcher and I brought the idea up to my hubby.  We almost bought a calf liver.  I am not sure how I will stomach it, hubby will have to feed him! :P

Are there any things to stay away from (fatty, bad bones, etc)?  I may just try a couple of things and see what Kana thinks.  He's not much of an eater (about 3-4 cups of kibble a day, which at his age/activity level should be more) so I wonder if this will peak his interest. 

Does bouncing back and forth from kibble to raw lead to tummy problems?  I heard a little about that but wanted your opinion.
Kristen
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:27:03 pm »
Hi,

I would watch the meats you get as some are have more fat than others. You don't want Kana to pack on the pounds  :)The other thing you have to do is make sure the diet is balanced. The food I get is from a speacial pet store that sells raw diets, and the diets are balanced (includes bone in with the meat) so I don't have to worry about that. I also feed her offal (organs) about once a week. And she gets raw bones as well.

The reason they say to avoid bouncing back an forth from raw to kibble is because the kibble takes much longer to digest than raw. That is what causes the upset stomach. I personally stick to raw. She gets a grain free treat now and then but other than that her main diet is raw.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 08:28:22 pm »
Here is the link to the food I get, it has lots of info on raw feeding.

http://www.mountaindogfood.com/
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)