Author Topic: What would you say about this pyr behaviour?  (Read 4826 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
What would you say about this pyr behaviour?
« on: February 02, 2008, 10:14:30 pm »
Of course being I have only Experienced a pyr pup thats now 13 weeks old,no adults,I have tons of questions :-\

What would you make of this.

Bear is Leary of anyone he has not seen on a reg basis.A guy that works for hubby said that he will speak to Bear when he comes to the house in the mornings to ride with hubby to work he said  he calls Bear to the fence but he want even come to the fence,he will stand on the porch and just look at him,no bark,no growl,just look.
A friend of mine came over and i turned Bear out of his crate and he sat in my lap just looking at her before he would get up and actually go over to her and he has seen her alot but hasnt in about a week when he done this.
My hubbys 2 friends stopped by (bear has never seen them)when they entered in the dinning room he sat and growled at both of them,they went to stick there hands in his crate to pet him and when they did he would move to the other side of the crate,when they would go to the other side he would move again,they could never touch him.

Guy that works for hubby insists Bear will be mean when he is grown?

I find this interesting from a pup.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 10:17:32 pm by GreatPyr »
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: What would you say about this pyr behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 10:22:58 pm »
Any puppy will be leery of new people if he hasn't been around a lot of different people.  Socialize, socialize, socialize.  Puppies that are not socialized can become fear biters or aggressive, regardless of the breed.  Max, my IW was afraid of new people, when we first got him.  At 5 months, he had never been off the owner's property, been around kids, men, etc.  She gave all her own shots, etc. and never even took the puppies to a vet.  He would growl and back up when anyone came to the house.  We took him everywhere, pet fairs, bookstore, Petsmart, Petco, local parks, etc. to get him over it.  Pyrs typically are protective and territorial, but not overtly aggressive.  They usualy will go up to almost anyone for petting, loving, etc.  They are very social dogs, providing they have been exposed to a lot of different people and circumstances.  Don't worry about him not protecting you if the need arises, just because you have socialized him.  It is instinctive to protect what he considers his, but you don't want him to be aggressive.  It is 2 totally different things.  Whenever people come to your house, let him out to sniff and meet them.  This way he will understand that you have guests over and they are good people, too.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 10:46:33 pm »
Thats just it,we have tons of people over to the house all the time,friends,family,coworkers,sons friends,daughters freinds.Since they where 10 days old they have had all of these people hold,feed help with them alot! is this not enough social interaction and he has been going to the vet every two to three weeks since 10 days old seeing everyone there,since they where bottle fed they went in for weight check and checkups every few weeks.
Does he need to actually go out in public to be really socialized,is it not enough at home?
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:55:07 pm »
He definitely needs to be socialized in different places and not just home.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 02:06:33 am »
Phoebe is still timid around strangers she does'nt bark or growl she just keeps her distance and observes then she will come close and they reach out and she backs away eventually she warms up.  She has been this way since she came home with us I just ignore her and let her come on her own pace.  Boy  when she knows the person she cant get to them fast enough.  I am not worried she meets new people all the time and is very well socialized.
He will settle in.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 06:36:48 am »
I would say that as long as you socialize Bear outside of the home, he'll grow out of it. It is definitely important to socialize at an early age.

I take Miles with me everywhere I can. To my parents house, to the dog park, to the regular park, if I go to get food at a drive thru I'll bring him with. Get him into a puppy training class if you can. That will get him used to other dogs as well as people.

I've got the opposite problem with Miles-he wants to be EVERYBODY's best friend! No joke. I live in downtown Milwaukee. We've got our fair share of homeless people (I mean, not a ton but you see them), and he even wants to greet THEM on our walks. Awkward situation I tell ya. hahaha
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 07:04:46 am »
Like i have said before.  Rasputin was a nipper when he was a puppy.  He thought he was tiny  :o so was very timid.  And what is a dogs response and only defense when they feel threatened?  Their mouth!!!  :-[  It lasted for awhile, i would just super socialize him with EVERYONE that came into the house (still do sometimes-hes very subject to my emotions, so if someone comes over that i dont know very well, hes even more standoffish) and then one day it was just gone!!! Hes 2 1/2 now, so good luck, it just stopped a few months ago  ;)  SOCIALIZE!!!!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 07:15:54 am »
That's just his being young and not overly socialized as others have said.  Naja is a farm dog and not all that well socialized herself, and I have no one to blame but myself.  When people come over I make sure to greet them first so that she can see my reaction to them, this usually makes her warm up to them pretty quickly.  Then when she gets to know them, look out!  She's their new best friend.  It's also a Pyr thing too though.  Pyrs are instinctivly stand offish untill they become comfortable with someone.  I'd try to have your guests walk in with Bears favorite treats, that way she'll be more likely to go right up to them, and she'll realize that it's a good thing when people come over!  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 07:25:10 am »
London Pry Lover, that is a great idea!!! i cant believe i never thought of it!!! thanks for the great idea!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D