Author Topic: really strange behavior last night  (Read 5312 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
really strange behavior last night
« on: February 03, 2008, 05:53:28 pm »
I had the strangest night with Jenny and I'm not sure what to make of it. She typically sleeps well, is not a big time night barker, and settles easily. Last night, however, she seemed anxious--she was pacing the house, panting constantly, and scratching at the garage door, the bathroom door, etc. She wouldn't lay down anywhere or settle at all. I took her outside to see if she needed to go to the bathroom, but nope, that wasn't it. There was some lightening and thunder last night, and I thought maybe she is phobic, but she was fine outside, and it's hard to imagine a Pyr that is bred to work outside in all weather being afraid of a little lightening--it wasn't a severe storm at all. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? It was really strange and she has never acted in this manner before... ???
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: really strange behavior last night
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 06:03:24 pm »
Could there be a storm near by? Dogs feel tornados and other weather changes.
I do notice that Lily's behavior changes when there is a thunder. She is not scared but rather very alert and restless  :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 06:32:13 pm »
How is she this morning?  Has she gone to the potty this morning?  Maybe there was something going on near by.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 08:15:05 pm »
Maybe your house is haunted. OOOOOOOOO!!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:28:49 pm »
How is she this morning?  Has she gone to the potty this morning?  Maybe there was something going on near by.

She's acting like her normal self this morning. Went potty, ate, and is on the couch as I write. Very strange...mayb e my house is haunted!  :o
Jennifer

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 08:36:44 pm »
She's acting like her normal self this morning. Went potty, ate, and is on the couch as I write. Very strange...mayb e my house is haunted!  :o

I remember there was an episode of the Ghost Whisperer about a dog sensing the ghost of a dog...  :) Dog has better 6th sense than us...

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 09:36:02 pm »
Since there was a storm brewing i would have to say maybe she was unnerved about the storm.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 10:41:36 pm »
I agree, its probably the pressure change.  Dogs feel earthquakes, tornados etc. before they happen...

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 06:24:04 pm »
I think the idea about the pressure change makes sense, so now my question is what, if anything, should I do about this behavior? It was impossible to sleep that night with all of her anxious antics...do I just ignore her?
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 06:32:23 pm »
I think the idea about the pressure change makes sense, so now my question is what, if anything, should I do about this behavior? It was impossible to sleep that night with all of her anxious antics...do I just ignore her?
Have a glass of wine and fall asleep  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 07:29:23 pm »
Definitely don't coddle her or her behavior when this happens will just get worse. I agree with PW, make yourself comfortable. If Lily's not tearing the door down or being destructive, just let her be and try to get some rest.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 07:31:32 pm »
Cabeza gets like that during storms. If they're big ones, he barks and whines, if they're little, he paces and acts nervous. As soon as I see this behavior, I give him a few drops of Bach's Rescue Remedy under his tongue. It totally helps.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 09:08:41 pm »
Cabeza gets like that during storms. If they're big ones, he barks and whines, if they're little, he paces and acts nervous. As soon as I see this behavior, I give him a few drops of Bach's Rescue Remedy under his tongue. It totally helps.

Thanks!!
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 12:51:44 am »
Bo gets like that when there are wild critters (deer, raccoons, etc) passing through our yard.  She has an uncanny sense that there are "foreign" creatures in her space!  However, my bet would be on the storm & the changes in weather that spooked her.
Jenn

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 01:37:44 am »
Poor Jenny, it definitely sounds weather related to me, too.  :(  Daisy is extremely sensitive to storms (especially thunder & lightning), gunshots, fireworks, etc.  I haven't tried rescue remedy, b/c Daisy does ok as long as she's close to me and there is a fan going.  However, about 5 y/o when we lived in CA, she was in her chain link kennel (we were out) and a surprise thunder storm came up and she became so frantic that she pulled the chain link away from the poles and she hurt herself on the exposed wires.  So now that you know that Jenny gets this upset, like us you'll probaby need to be very careful if you have to leave her alone when a storm might occur.  We are fortunate to live where the temps are so mild year around that we can take the dogs with us where ever we go for all but maybe a few days per year, so they just go along and that works for Daisy.  That isn't possible for most people though, and it wasn't possible for us when we lived in CA where Daisy had the chain link problem, so you may need to find a very safe spot for her and try the rescue remedy. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees