Author Topic: Fat Tuesday/Paczki Day  (Read 5594 times)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Fat Tuesday/Paczki Day
« on: February 03, 2008, 11:13:45 pm »
An Ode to the Paczki:

Today is Fat Tuesday.  Paczki Day. If you are not from the Midwest or Polish you’ve probably got no idea what the deal is with these dough balls....but here is a description:

Basically paczkis are Polish pastries. Each one weighs about 17 pounds and were traditionally filled with marmalade made from fried rose buds, but nowadays can be filled with anything.  Most Michiganders believe that
Jimmy Hoffa was jammed into one.

Few things are more popular in the Hamtramck/Detroit metro area. We are the devotees of I-Gotcher-Fat-Tuesday-Right-Here Debauchery, because what greater debauchery can there be than eating Polish doughnuts 'til you burst?  We are the Chosen Ones that know the word "Paczki" is pronounced
"poonch-key"....though few know the singular, paczkek, because very few of us have enough self control to eat only one.  Those who have not had the pleasure of gorging themselves have avoided suffering the dreaded "Paczki
Prostration"...but until you have experienced the sensation of huddling bug-eyed and near-comatose behind your desk with your pants undone after sampling every variety of paczki brought in by your coworkers before 10
a.m., you really haven't lived.

Paczki Prostration is alot like childbirth. Over time you forget about the pain...only the sheer joy of the experience remains, causing you to seek to repeat it.  Therefore, every year on Fat Tuesday you can find huddled
masses of displaced Midwesterners Googling "paczkis delivered nationwide".  Behold this pathetic wretch:

Yes, I'm one of those poor souls googling colorado+paczki. I did the same thing last year. Every year I search up and down for paczki's in Colorado but have found none to no avail. I'm making my own this year. Anyhow, as I was saying I was searching again and stumbled across your
blog and had to laugh. Thought you'd like to know I called every bakery I could find in Hamtramack to see if they ship but I was told "no" from each place I called. Please post if you find any place to mail order them.
Desparate in Colorado. - JR

Not to mention this poor soul, Jenny:

I found your blog by doing a Google search for Greenville and paczki. I moved here from Indiana but I never would have if I had known I would have to give up my paczkis! I discovered them in Indiana (happily) about five years ago and I've been looking everywhere.

Oh, the humanity.  For unless you reside in or around Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, or a handful of other highly-evolved Midwestern cities, you are quite
Up A Creek Without A Paczki.
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Fat Tuesday/Paczki Day
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:22:13 pm »
Mmmm. Paczkis. Delicious! I got some today. And I've already had two :-X ;D ;D :D. I've lived in Indiana my whole life and just recently moved to Milwaukee, so these things have been in my life forever. I couldn't imagine life without them. hahaha
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:24:34 pm »
Do they taste like donuts?  They look very good
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 11:29:11 pm »
You guys are killing me.  After more than 30 years living in Paczki Heaven (southeastern Michigan), I moved to western Maryland....an d haven't seen a paczki since.  No one around here even knows what they are.  I am Jonesing bad.  That's why I posted the Ode To The Paczki....I am so bummed out!  Anyone want to FedEx me some?!? LOL!!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 11:30:09 pm by shine »
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 11:30:42 pm »
Do they taste like donuts?  They look very good

They are the donuts to end all doughnuts. Dunkins and Crispy Creme will never taste quite the same once you have had authentic paczki.
Stella
I hate donuts...that's why I asked. They look alike  :-\
So where do you buy them?
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 12:31:41 am »
OK Paczki people, you got me! I found a polish bakery that have Paczki and only 25 min away from here. I will grab Lily after work and drive to buy some junk for my trunk, LOL!
Mary W. Crane

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 02:31:13 am »
I ate another one. :-X
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 04:33:37 am »
I have a friend at work (nee: Zawaski)who's mom makes them from scratch.  Each Fat Tuesday she rises at 2 am to prepare and start the process.  Anyone in Chicago may have seen her on the Fox morning news!  Anyhow, today she set a record...she made and distributed (there's an actual order list of family and friends) 897 paczki's!!!!!!  :o :o

It's truly a tradition that nearly sends her to the grave each year!!  She's our Polish Patron Saint of Paczki's! it was a good day for me, I only had 2 cuz I was busy at work!!!!!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 07:32:14 am »
mmmmm, paczki....  One of the things I miss about the couple years I spent in Michigan.  That and the snow.  And the fireflies.  Mmmmm, paczki in the snow while watching fireflies...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 09:57:00 am »
I grew up in Nebraska and South Dakota and I've never heard of them so they're not all over the midwest. But now, I feel ripped off from my childhood - they look delicious. Of course, now that I'm in Louisiana I get the full onslaught of Fat Tuesday with King Cake!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain