Author Topic: Need your opinions on a dog-friendly apartment!  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Need your opinions on a dog-friendly apartment!
« on: February 04, 2008, 04:35:06 am »
Some of you may know that I'm in my first year of college; I'm 2 hours from home, and I lived in the dorms this year. But next year, I would really really REALLY like to get an apartment so I can have my dogs up here with me during the school year. I miss them so much.

Anyway, my question is this; I found an apartment that will let me have both my dogs live with me (a hard thing to find since both my dogs are big!). I would either get a 1 bedroom or a studio apartment.

The studio apartments are RIGHT in our price range (even if they are small), but only 1 problem; they are all on the third floor; which means stairs.  :-\

Dolly has very very mild hip dysplasia right now and I'm wondering if this would be a big problem for her (she shows no signs of pain or anything though). I try to avoid all stairs for her sake as of right now (just as prevention), but I'm wondering what you guys think.  :-\ Whatever input you all can offer will be very much appreciated. Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:59:15 am by Saint and Mal mom »
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

lins_saving_grace

Re: Need your opinions on a dog-friendly apartment!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 06:38:39 am »
Pet friendly is such a loose word.  I live in a pet friendly place and see what it got me?  so when i need to look again i want a lower level simply because if something happens to Grace I can not lift her and with the ACL replacement happening Thursday, I need to be in a lower level (Like where i live now).  i hate stairs and their effects on our Big Pawed pups and their knees and hips.  Besides, I hate climbing stairs with groceries and stuff.

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 07:10:56 am »
stairs suck for moving in/out and in case of emergency -especially with big dogs. I got way lucky by finding a cheap apartment in a great area, that accepts pets, and is on the main floor. I guess in the end, all I can tell you is to consider the options carefully and make the right decision based on what's best for the puppies, rather than convenience/comfort for yourself... sometimes they're the same thing, other times they're not  :-\
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:44:27 pm »
Well...

I just moved out of the apartment we had been living in for 6 years. It was on the 3rd floor. I hated it. I mean, H-A-T-E-D it. Its very hard with dogs and if they get sick in the middle of the night and have to go RIGHT NOW its super difficult.

You have to weigh the overall situation, but I would say just based on the stairs, its going to be hard. Obviously you can do it, I did it for 6 years, but you know. It blew.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 03:58:05 am »
I'd keep looking for something on the ground floor.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 04:20:51 am »
I lived in an apartment during university on the 3 rd floor with no pets and it was a pain.
If you can find something on the first floor, it seems more suitable for your situation.
Good Luck  :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 05:02:11 am »
In the building I am currently in, I'm on the main floor, but we have a garage underneath us so we still have stairs no matter what. It certainly can be a pain with a dog...especial ly having two.Now, I only have to walk up and down about 7 steps each time, so it's not horrible. We do have an elevator which I do use on the occasion to give Miles a break on the stairs. Elevators freak me out a bit, so I don't use it often, but once in awhile. After Miles got neutered we used the elevator for two weeks straight.

If you can, I would try and get something on the main floor. It would be worth it.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 06:09:02 am »
I used to live in the apartment on the 8th floor while owning a Newfoundland. The elevator was turned off every night at 11 p.m. >:(  I did have to clean up some stairs while running down with him having a bad diarrhea  :o
Good luck finding a place...on the first floor  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)