Author Topic: Day 3 HELP!!!  (Read 2912 times)

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Day 3 HELP!!!
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:17:08 pm »
We started crate training, on the advise of of all of you wonderful people  :D, last night.  He cried and cried and cried...pooped once and peed twice.  Can do this injure them in anyway?  Like their voice boxes?  Or create seperation axiety?  How long is too long?  ??? ???

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Day 3 HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 09:20:21 pm »
How big is his crate?
It should only be big enough for him to turn around and lay down  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:24:38 pm »
It may be a little too big, ive heard about sectioning part off.  Maybe thats what i should do...I did put blankets in and on it to make it more den like.  But he wasnt in a crate as a little little puppy, just a spare bedroom.  Does that make a difference?

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:25:54 pm »
Ok, so as pathetic as it sounds, the first week or so that we had Miles, we put him in his crate, and slept right next to it, on the floor, so he could see us and know he wasn't being abandoned. After a week I then moved onto the couch next to his crate. And about a month later I was able to sleep in my own bed again! :D :D :D I was just tired of the sleepless nights!

Whatever you do, don't pay attention to Valis when he is crying. Only let him out of the crate when he is quiet. Even if it's only for a few seconds. It doesn't hurt him to cry. I think all puppies do it for the first week or so at least. Then, they begin to learn,it's their safe place.

I'm not sure about the pottying in the crate thing though. How much room does he have in there? If he has TOO much room, he will do that. He should be able to sit, stand, and turn around in it. Not much else. We always kept a divider in Miles' crate until he got bigger and he never had an accident (except one time when he was VERY sick.)

Here's to a sleepFUL day four! ;D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:30:46 pm »
I am not a good person to ask...I introduced Lily to a crate gradually, 1.5-2 months or so. I first was leaving her in the kitchen with crate open. Then was crating her while I was home for 30 min or so. Then 3 hours while I was gone and at 3 months I was crating her for 4 hours twice a day. At 6 months she didn't need it anymore.

I never crated her at night. From the first day I brought her home she slep right next to our bed and now IN our bed and NEVER had an accident or even woke up at night  ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:32:29 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 09:42:28 pm »
We are crate training for 2 reasons 1) hes not house broken...and there is no way to control it at night.  Night one i got up every 45 min (that just doesnt work with REM sleep  ;))  Same with day 2 and day 3 tried crate training all day then put him in there at night.  The second reason is for when he hits the chewing stage...  ::)