Author Topic: Question about changing foods  (Read 2588 times)

Offline cwarner

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Question about changing foods
« on: February 12, 2008, 08:06:26 am »
I know that when changing types of food it is supposed to be done slowly mixing the two foods at varying amounts untill you're at 100% of the new food.  But my question is, what if you're staying within the same brand but just switching flavors?   I have been feeding Eagle Pack Hollistic for Large Breeds, and thought about switching possibly to either the Duck or Chicken formula, simply because the store is out of the Large breed formula.  Since i'm staying within the same company would it be ok to switch "flavors" for say one bag, since i have no clue how long it'll be before they get the large breed back in and since i have maybe 2 days worth of food left in my existing bag?  Thanks

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Question about changing foods
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:10:08 am »
I think you will hear that it all depends on the dog's tummy.  My boy wouldn't mind if we switched foods everyday!  We often give him different flavors in the same brand, I have not had a problem.  I guess you are always safest mixing the two so that the change is gradual, but like I said, each dog's belly is so different...
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:31:13 am »
Most foods like Eagle Pack with different flavors can easily be switched up. It's actually a good idea to do so. Not every bag, but once every couple months or so. My mom's german shepherd has Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) so she cannot digest food without her pig pancreas enzymes. Even with those she has a pretty sensitive stomach. She is on the fish flavor of Eagle Pack most of the time but sometimes my mom switches it to Duck, and she does just fine!!! :)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 08:42:04 am »
I know that my dog has a super sensitive digestional tract.  I have to be pretty careful when changing food.  The only thing that happens is he gets the runs  :P  Its messy but no other problems.  So as far as i know thats the worst case scenerio  ;)