Author Topic: Zoey's broken butt  (Read 19027 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Zoey's broken butt
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:01:43 am »
Hi everyone. It has been too long - I have missed BPO! My computer has been in the shop for over a month and my internet was broken, so I haven't been able to check in.

Zoey has been having a pretty good month, but now she is having a really bad week  :( On Sunday I noticed she was biting her butt. She wasn't letting me look at it and I couldn't see under all her fur so I went and bought a shaver so that I could shave her hind legs and discovered that under her butt hair there was black stuff around her butt. (warning, this is graphic) I thought she had had diahrea and gotten it stuck in her fur, but she wouldn't let me touch it to clean it off. So I got some pain medicine from the vet and borrowed a muzzle, and with the muzzle I was able to look at her butt closer - it looks horrible! She has a huge open wound (about the size of a nickel) and the fur around her butt is all black. What I thought was poop isn't poop - I think it is from a ruptured anal gland. So I had to take her to the vet today, which was horrible because Zoey has wicked high anxiety about being at the vet. It was horrible! The vet was great and Zoey actually walked in pretty cooperatively, but she was having nothing of the vet looking at her butt. So they had to put a muzzle of her and have two vet techs hold her down just so the vet could lift her tail to look at her butt. Zoey was struggling to get away from them and pushing her butt up against the wall so they couldn't go near it. They wouldn't let me help (not that I could help much) but it was so hard for me to watch I started crying  :'(

When the vet finally looked at it she thinks it might not be a anal gland since it is a little higher than she expects an anal gland to be, but I still thikn it's an anal gland (wheres marit when I need her anal gland queen advice ;) ). The vet thinks it looks like a gash from siomething, but I don't know how it's possible for her to cut her butt. There's nothign for her in the house to cut her butt on and I don't think there's anything in the yard to cut her butt on and plus she can't walk backwards, so I don't down how it would be possible to get a cut on her butt even if there was (if she was going to cut herself on something wouldn't it be on the front). Plus the black stuff is deffinately not blood so I am confident it's anal gland fluid. I took a picture to send to Dan but I am not going to post it here because it's a bit graphic I don't want to traumatize anyone.

Anyways, they sedated her and made me leave her there. They gave her a sedative just to do the rectal examine (haven't heard anything yet - she's been there for an hour). And they said they are probably going to have to give her general anesthesia to fix it  :-\ I asked them to cut her nails, clean her ears, and cut her paw fur so that at least we won't have to go through the stress of grooming her again soon, but I am so worried about her going under anesthesia with her neurological issues and I feel so bad about her broken butt :( And to top it off, Dan is out of town all this week and next, which means she doesn't have her daddy for moral support and I don't have a helper to take care of her  :(
RIP former BPO

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Zoey's broken butt
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:21:25 am »
Poor Zoey  :'( :'( :'(
I am sure your vet will take care of Zoey's butt  :)
Keep us posted and give her a hug when you pick her up  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:45:01 am »
Poor broken butted Zoey  :'( I hope you hear good news soon from your vet. Hugd Zoey for a  speedy recovery.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 06:53:44 am »
that sounds AWFUL! poor puppy!! I wonder what happened??
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 06:55:24 am »
OMG !!! How tramatic.  I hope Zoey is well and things aren't as bad as they sound.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 07:33:36 am »
So I just called to check in and they said that they are putting her under general anesthesia now. They had given her a sedative earlier and were hoping that would be enough to do the rectal exam but she wasnt having any of them touching her butt. So they had to wait until they could do general anesthesia and they are gonna do the rectal exam now once shes asleep :-\
RIP former BPO

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 07:39:24 am »
Oh honey!! I am so sorry.  This is a lot to have to go through by yourself!!!  Much big fury hugs from Rasputin and I, you are in our thoughts.  Please let us all know what going on!!  :'(

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 08:24:25 am »
Oh big (((hugs)). Keep us posted. You almost made me cry.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 08:39:16 am »
I hope they get to the bottom (pardon the pun) of Zoey's butt problem soon. I just hate it when they're in such discomfort.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 09:31:18 am »
the vet just finished. it is so much worse then we thught, i am having a tonal panic attack so i cant type gonna come back when i calm downn  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
RIP former BPO

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 09:35:26 am »
We're all worried about you and Zoey- What happened???? 
In the meantime, we're sending you hugs and good wishes. 

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 09:44:00 am »
Oh Heather! I don't know what it is but please stay strong...we are here for you when you are ready
Mary W. Crane

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 09:59:40 am »
I finally stopped shaking so I can type now. This is what the vet told me:

Once Zoey was asleep from the anesthesia the was able to get a closer look at the sore and says that even though its in the right place to be an anal pland it doesn't seem to be one because it isn'tr connected to anything inside so it must  be a superficial lesion eventhough its a bad one. They were able to stitch it up and clean the area really well, so I am supposed to keep Zoey quiet and inactive until it heals and keep an eye on it.

Then she tells me that when there is anesthesia the sphincter relaxes, so she was able to get a really good look inside zoey's rectum. She said that is has multiple leasions inside the rectum, which she couldnt do anything about because rectal surgery is a really careful thing so you dont accidentally make the dog incontinent, and she is not trained for it. She can't tell if it's from self-inflicted trauma of zoey biting at her butt, but is concerned that it might be a more widespread problem. I am supposed to keep an eye on her for the next week and if everything seems ok, then I'm supposed to take her back in a week. But if she seems to get worse I am supposed to take her to tufts (the best vet hospital in our area) because she might have an autoimmune disease attacking her colon and she might have leasions throughout it. Zoey is so stranger to colon issues - she has had problems with pancreatitis and irratible bowel syndrome in the past, but her stools have been firm for a few months even though i have noticed she has had to strain to poop sometimes so I even worried they were too firm.

So I was already freaking out about the lesions and the possibility of an autoimmune disease when the vet tells me that zoey has lyme disease. She was due for her heartworm/lyme test so I had asked her to do it while zoey was under but i didnt think it was going to be a problem because we give zoey heartgaurd and we use frontline in the spring/summer/fall. I remember last fall pulled a couple ticks off her and the vet said that it was a bad tick season, but I figured with the frontline and use checking her for ticks everyday she would be ok. I don't really know anything about lyme so I will have to research it tonight, but I know it is bad.

My baby is such a sick dog   :'( Those of you who know us, know that she has always had hip dysplacia, and on top of that has had IBS for a long time now. Then last year she started having neurological issues and they tell us that she might have a brain tumor and might be blind. So now she has: HD, IBS, seizures, possible blindness, lyme disease, and a possible autoimmune disease. That is just too much for one dog!  :'( I am so scared and worried. I love her so much and I was already worried we were going to loose her soon and now with this new news I just don't know what to think. She is only three, and we did everything right to buy her from a breeder and treat everythign as best as possible, but I feel like such a bad doggy mommy because she is in so much pain.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

It's so unfair  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I took a personal day from school to take her to the vet but I have to go to my afterschool job in a couple of minutes, and then I am going to pick her up at 7 when I get out of work. I will check in when we are home
RIP former BPO

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 10:05:55 am »
Oh, what a flood this must be for you...I'm so sorry that you are going through this right now. I wish I could help you out more....I'm going to start researching Lyme disease for you now.  In the meantime, take a deep breath...and take care of YOU!   

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 10:10:50 am »
Heather, I sent you some info  ;)
Mary W. Crane