Author Topic: Pyr mouth Questions  (Read 8616 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Pyr mouth Questions
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:25:13 am »
I have noticed some Pyrs have a droopy mouth and some have a tighter mouth,not droopy at all,some have the droop eyes and some do not.I noticed the AKC standard is not the droopy mouth and eyes.Why are some drooped and some not?

I noticed My Bear has drooped lips when shut and droop eyes,sometimes they are red.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:26:22 am by GreatPyr »
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Pyr mouth Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 09:28:44 am »
Poor breeding  :(
Pyrs shouldn't have droopy eyes or mouth. Some show males have looser lips than others but overall they should be pretty tight  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 09:33:53 am »
 :-[ i love The droop look,bear has the major droops in mouth and eyes,He must be of poor breeding :-[
His mom had drooped eyes but not mouth, his dad had a block head and droop mouth and eyes.They where both working stock Pyrs.Both AKC.
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:55:50 am »
GPCA standard applies the same way to working and show dogs  :) I guess poor bred pyrs were/are a quick fix for farmers  ::)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:59:21 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 07:24:45 pm »
I think it's sort of natural for the eyes to be a LITTLE bit droopy when they look up. Not even necessarily droopy, but it will seem droopy because you'll see the redness when looking up, but not much.

Miles has a LITTLE bit of a droopy mouth, but NOTHING like a saint bernard, or newf. I wouldn't consider his eyes to be droopy either, but when i'm standing and he's lying down looking up at me, they look droopy from that angle.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:38:10 am »
Ditto, Rasputin has tight lips and tight eyes, completely white except perfect lip liner and eye liner in black.  His brother (who i used to have  :-[) had a droopy mouth and kind of droopy eyes, plus he didnt have the constant black on his eyes and lips...They came from the same parents but Rasputin just ended up having the AKC genes after all.  His mother was 70 lbs and his father was 150 and a working dog!!!  :D

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 02:37:16 am »
I have noticed some Pyrs have a droopy mouth and some have a tighter mouth,not droopy at all,some have the droop eyes and some do not.I noticed the AKC standard is not the droopy mouth and eyes.Why are some drooped and some not?

I noticed My Bear has drooped lips when shut and droop eyes,sometimes they are red.

Do you mean that the eyes look droopy and red when Bear is looking up at you or straight on? Also, lips are much droopier when relaxed (i.e. asleep) then when alert.

You are right,His eyes are droopy and red when looking up at me, not straight on,his mouth kind of flops on each side but not hanging down like a saint by any means.If you go to the bear pics i just posted you can see what I am talking about in his eyes in the last pic where he is chewing the bone.
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 02:44:24 am »
Here is Bear straight on,his mouth doesnt look droopy now,when its shut or he is alseep or laying down it does more.His eyes are sort of red.
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 02:07:05 am »
Not necessarily poor breeding- your older type Pyrs had big blocky heads along with loose lips.  I still get calls specifically asking for that type of head.  The standard was re-written about 10 years ago and now calls for a tighter lip- and your breeders all scrambled to produce a different shape head- for a while the noses were really pointy and the Pyr looked more like a Kuvasc or even a Sammy until you looked at their ears. But if you run across some old pics of Pyrs you will see the droopy lips- even in the show Pyrs.  Loose eyelids are also common and a fault but not necessarily a result of poor breeding

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 02:38:03 am »
Patrick,I agree, I have looked at the older pics of the pyrs and they where stocky with big heads and the more droopy lids and mouths.The new pys are tight lipped and pointer nose.Alot of te breeders sites I go to strive on the tight lips.
I like the old style better myself,the blockier head and body.I will surely buy one in years to come and I have already been searchig for breeders,I am looking for the blockier bred pyr.Out of the 3 pups Bear was the one that took on the shape of his Dad...stocky body,block head,drooped mouth and eyes,thats why I decided on him to keep out of the 3 males,the other two had pointy muzzles like the Mom,All beautiful no doubt, but just what I prefer.
to find the Ole body style if you will.. is hard to find.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:41:31 am by GreatPyr »
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 02:49:14 am »
This is my idea of a Beautiful Pyr,this is off the internet pic.Dont get me wrong they are all beautiful IMO but I like the thick,blocky type.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:50:39 am by GreatPyr »
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 05:24:29 am »
I completely agree with you on the droopy mouth.  I don't like a st mouth on a pyr, but I agree that the big, heavy, blocky head, slight loose lips and big, blocky, body are beautiful.  I like the kuvasz head on a kuvasz, but really like the big, heavy, solidly built pyrs looks.  I don't like the really narrow shoulders either.  I like the way that Jake kinda looks like a body builder, with his front legs so far apart, when he is facing me.  It looks cool.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 05:29:25 am »
Here is the picture from the Christmas parade.  Jake is the one facing you on the right side.

Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats