Author Topic: Anybody feed Merrick?  (Read 4607 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Anybody feed Merrick?
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:12:06 am »
Just tried the dry Merrick food yesterday and my dogs LOVE it! I had given them the canned food as a treat with the dry once in a while, but this was my first go-round with the dry. I got them "Wilderness Blend". I wanted something different from chicken as the primary meat source, which Tipper has had for years.  ::)  Jenny was delirious with the new food, I've never seen her eat with so much gusto! I guess I found a winner. A side bonus for me is that the 30lb bag was $12.00 cheaper than the 33 lb bag of Innova that I had been feeding them. According to the lists posted here, the Merrick Wilderness Blend received an A+ grade, so I'm feeling ok about switching from Innova.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody feed Merrick?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:19:49 am »
Merrick is very good food  :) I have tried it before
Everytime I bring a bew bag of food Lily jumps on it like there is no tomorrow...by the third day she looses her interest in it
I am glad your dogs like it though  ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 05:24:40 pm »
Zoey eats merrick right now. She likes it because of the gravy you get if you add water, and her firms are always firm on it
RIP former BPO

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 03:31:59 am »
I used to give it to Cabeza every now and then when we were still at IU. He liked some of the varities, not all. He had HORRIBLE poops on one of them. I can't remember which variety. It was some type of Mediterranean thing. Its way more expensive here than Innova, though.

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 05:08:48 am »
Looks like a good dog food.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:15:15 am »
I used to give it to Cabeza every now and then when we were still at IU. He liked some of the varities, not all. He had HORRIBLE poops on one of them. I can't remember which variety. It was some type of Mediterranean thing. Its way more expensive here than Innova, though.

So far, everyone's poops are a-ok. I certainly hope it stays that way.

I wonder why the cost difference in different areas? I buy it from the Pet Supplies Plus (PSP) near my work--the one by my house doesn't carry either brand. The cost at PSP is much better than the cost of either food on the web--and the Merrick was definitely cheaper than the Innova at my PSP. Seems odd to me... ???  The cost must be driven by customer demand...
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 11:29:54 am »
In the store where I buy dog food 30 lbs bag of Merrick is $4 more than 33 lbs bag Innova
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 03:45:06 am »
Hmmm...well, I just bought our food at a locally owned pet food store. The Merrick was a LOT more expensive than the Innova.

And just for clarification, Cabeza's poops were only bad on that one variety. I checked the website and its called Mediterranean Banquet and its a canned variety. Anyway, I'm sure you're fine!!! :)

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 04:27:01 am »
We tried Merrick once. Wilderness blend. It gave Bubba cannon butt but he's super sensitive. He did love the taste of it though.