Author Topic: Dog Treat Recipes  (Read 2420 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Dog Treat Recipes
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:12:39 am »
Does anyone have any tried and tested homemade dog treat recipes that contain   good-for-dogs, healthy ingredients? Please share!
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Treat Recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 12:21:15 pm »
Other than dehydrated meats and organs, my dogs love homemade biscuits.  Take any meat or organ meat, boil it til done.  Pull all skin, meat, grisle, etc. off the bones.  Puree and mix with the broth or water it was cooked in.  I usually remove the meat and then continue to boil the water to reduce it and condense the broth.  Mix the pureed meat with the broth, til you get the consistency of thick pancake batter.  Add eggs.  Add in enough flour to make really thick, workable dough.  I simply shaped it with my hands, put on greased cookie sheet and bake at 250 degrees until dry.  Once the bottoms start to brown, baste them with the remainder of the broth, turn and baste again.  I usually dehydrated mine til hard and crunchy.  As far as quantities, for 4 lbs of meat, I added 6 eggs and 4 - 6 lbs of organic oat or brown rice flour.  You can use any type of flour, that you prefer.  You can use the same basic recipe and replace the meat and broth with peanut butter, water and molasses or honey.  Just baste them with molasses/honey mixed half and half with water. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats