Author Topic: My MAL is afraid of the SUV  (Read 4013 times)

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
My MAL is afraid of the SUV
« on: February 17, 2008, 07:31:20 pm »
Help - My Vander Puppy (10 month old AK Malamute will not get into the SUV (2001 Durango) without a major fight.  I can no longer lift him in since he is topping to 110 pound mark.  On average I was able to get him in 1x month to due weight checks at the vet, etc, but not without a major battle.  Now he is toooooo heavy (but not overwight - he is considered a giant and has very large parents) for me to lift.  I have tried feeding him in there and a variety of wonderful bribes.  His sister had the same problem but has gotten over it and now manages the Durango with just a little help with her back end.  She hops right into the back seat of the Dodge Neon (what a sight) without issue.  Vander is soooooo stuck on not getting in.  We were able to get him in 2 weeks ago and had a great time at Puppy play (local trainer) but what a nightmare it was getting him back in the car.  My husband was with me and had to basically shove him in  and messed up all the positive we had done ( it was 10 below and after 20 minutes of "working" with Vander we were both out of patience).

Suggestions??? We tried the ramp thing with both and neither of them handled it well.  At one point he wouldn't walk near the cars in the garage or even want to go out the front door.  Now we go the the garage and for walks all the time.  I know it will take time , but I was wondering if anyone else had any other suggestions.

Marianne
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: My MAL is afraid of the SUV
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 08:18:43 pm »
I almost tried the tote last week - but the one I had in the garage was small.  Sounds like a plan - I have a very large one upstairs - THANKS  I will start on that this week!.  Thought maybe it had to do with the whole confined space - The Neon was beginning to work - but only at the house - not once we left!  I will try the tote out this week!  Glad to hear I am not alone!
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)