Author Topic: finally! her coat is much better  (Read 4949 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
finally! her coat is much better
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:42:47 am »
After 4 months of grooming, good food, and supplements I think I finally have Jenny's coat in good shape. Her undercoat was so matted--either no one noticed at the rescue she was at (since her top coat was not matted) or they just didn't have the resources, time, etc. to do anything about it. I didn't want to shave her with it being winter in Michigan, so I have been diligently working on her coat. Luckily, she loves to be groomed. She looks so much better, it's got to feel better to her, and I can now run my hands through her lovely, fluffy coat. I think the salmon oil is helping, too. She is really starting to look like the gorgeous gal she is!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: finally! her coat is much better
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 07:17:14 am »
Great news! I am so happy to hear that Jenny's coat is getting better ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:52:38 am »
Wonderful!  You know, you're lucky that she likes to be groomed, since she had so much catch up to do.   ;)  I'm sure that was hard work to get her coat smoothed out, good job to both of you!  I don't know if Sammy had ever been groomed b/c he really, really dislikes it.   :(  Daisy & Cassie argue over who gets to be brushed first.  For the girls it's pure bliss, but Sam is just miserable.  We're lucky that he's such a sweet boy or it could be really tough. It always takes 2 of us, one to hold his head and give treats & loves (he hides his face in our lap, poor baby), and one to do the brushing. I guess we're lucky that he was shaved down to the skin when we got him, so we had some time to bond with him before anything tough had to be done (tail, mane, pants, etc.).  When his coat first started to grow in, it was very rough & wooley.  Does that sound like how Jenny's was?  Now Sam's is very soft & nice, too so I do think that you are noticing a difference due to her improved diet & overall health.  ;D  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:01:15 am »
When his coat first started to grow in, it was very rough & wooley.  Does that sound like how Jenny's was? 

Yep, that's how I would describe it. It's getting so much softer now.  ;D
Jennifer

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:31:42 am »
You are very lucky!!!  Rasputin hates getting groomed!!! It a fight to the death every time i pull out the brush.  Im so happy that her coat is doing better!! There is nothing like the silky shine of a Great Pyr coat in season!!!  :D :D

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:49:48 am »
Awww. I wanna see pictures of the gorgeous girl!!! ;D :D ;) :)

You are very lucky!!!  Rasputin hates getting groomed!!! It a fight to the death every time i pull out the brush.
Miles also HATES being brushed. I think it's a male thing. hahaha
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:41:24 am »
You've done such a wonderful transformation of Jenny. Mind AND body! She's a lucky girl and she knows it!

It took eight months for one of my Fosters to become truly healthy in coat and structure. The "mind" thing is still on a continuing basis. But he was an extreem case.

Jenny's such a beautiful girl. Inside and out. WOW! You're such a good Mom!

My Guys love being groomed so much that it's sometimes a problem. One must wait while the other is brushed. All in all it works out OK. And there are bushel baskets of Pyr Fur just waiting for carding & spinning.  ;)

You've taken such good care of Jenny. She's a very Blessed girl to have you as her Mom.  :-*

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 05:38:06 pm »
Awww. I wanna see pictures of the gorgeous girl!!! ;D :D ;) :)

You are very lucky!!!  Rasputin hates getting groomed!!! It a fight to the death every time i pull out the brush.
Miles also HATES being brushed. I think it's a male thing. hahaha

Tipper, my boy, hates getting groomed, too! I know how lucky I am that Jenny loves it, it would be soooo hard if she didn't. 
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:16:26 pm »
Jenny is absolutely gorgeous.  We use small amounts of salmon oil with our huskey but our MALS don't tolerate it as well.  We have found that a homemade (I rarely bake cookies for my 9 year old daughter - but we bake them for the dogs - silly) cookie that has oats, pumpkin and molasses makes all 3 of their coats unbelievably soft and silky.  Plus they absolutely love them.  I started using a large cutter and found they would gobble my batch up too quickly.  I shrunk to a tiny cutter and make thin versions that last longer and I only need to make a batch once a week.  I found the recipe in a helathy dog recipe book.  My daughter has a blast cutting the cookies out and the dogs sit around us while we are making them waiting for them to cool after baking - Smiles all around.

Jenny is lucky to have someone to take care of her mind and body so wonderfully!

Marianne, The Mals and The Huskey
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 06:54:10 pm »
They are called Morgan's Munchies (we call them Malamute Morsels) The Recipe is from Healthy Doggie Biscuits (Jonna Anne)
The book says - This grain based treat is made with backstrap molasses, which assists in developing healthy and shiny coats.  Pumpkin is high in potassium, Vitamin C and zinc, which is an immune booster.

Ingredents:
2 cups Whole wheat flour (fine ground)
1 cup Whole wheat flour (coarse ground)
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 cups pumpkin (puree)
1/4 cup mollasses (blackstrap)
1/2 cup water

PLace dry ingredients in mixing bowl
Add pumpkin, mol and water.
Knead (3-5 min) until well blended.
Roll out on floured counter to about 1 inch thick.
Cut into shapes.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
(24 cookies)

We modified the recipe:
We use pumpkin puree, but use any molasses I can find - Not sure where to get "Blackstrap".  We use 3 cups of whole wheat four- regular ground.  We live in AK and can't always get things easily close by.  We also use small cutters and make them 1/4-1/2 in thick (very thin) so they cook a lot faster (20 minutes max) and I can make a lot more of them.  3 large pups love them and gobble them up.

My daughter tried a taste test with the pups and each time they chose these over any type of store bought.

Its a great book with many other recipes - but so far this is the easiest and I can see and feel the difference in their coats when we have these cookies in the house.

Marianne and the Gang  (Hope it was ok to post the recipe here with the book reference - I am new to the board and enjoying sharing - please let me know if I needed to post this differently  ???
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 02:29:02 am »
She is beautiful!
Since I started using the Salmon oil with bear I noticed how really soft his coat has gotten!

Pics please ;D
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse