Author Topic: 4 dogs?  (Read 8547 times)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
4 dogs?
« on: November 24, 2007, 04:36:03 pm »
I need some advice and opinions please.  My hubby is seriously thinking that he wants a black Irish Wolfhound.  I would love to have one as I think they are absoutely beautiful, but, I don't know if we have the time or energy for a 4th dog.  We still have a lot of work to do with Max and Cody.  They still pull on lead when they are in crowds, etc.  They are great just walking around our neighborhood, at Petsmart, etc. but at a craft fair, pet fair, etc. with lots of people and other dogs, they are very hard for me to control.  I am working on it diligently, but have not gotten them to the point that I am comfortable taking more than one of them at a time to an event like that.  I can take one and keep them calm and under control, but no more.  At home they are great and basically movable rugs when they are not running through the house, knocking over furniture, etc. playing.  They are only 1.5 and still just puppies (although they are very big puppies).  I just don't know if we are ready to add a 4th big dog to the house.  All of my dogs live in the house, sleep in the house, etc.  They are all very healthy (other than allergies).  I know if I agree that it will take a while to find one, be put on waiting list, etc.  Maybe in that period of time, we would get to where we want to be with training the others?
Opinions please.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: 4 dogs?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:39:57 am »
I have to agree with Holly. I have 4 dogs myself, and have been wanting to add one more... BUT, sometimes even four dogs is too much hasstle for us. for instance, our two boys dont get along very well... we have two girls that we show, so when they come into season its h*ll in the house... yard clean up is not as fast and easy  as it could be... Going on vacation (or even to a dog show) we have to find places or people to help care for who we leave at home... it is a big decission. but it is all in what you think you and your hubby can handle.
Good luck in your choise.
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 03:55:47 am »
I am the worst one to chime in on this. I dont go looking to add or to foster, I think that they just find me some how. It takes an incredible amount of time in my day to give every one attention and I have been pretty fortunate that they are all getting along. My time on BPO has been cut short due to my new responsibiliti es.
Dont take on more than what you are comfortable with and it will all work out.

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 05:55:09 am »
Oh Kathy!  I'm so jealous!  I wish my hubby wanted to get an IW! ;D  They're one of my favorite breeds!

But honestly though, I understand your hesitation to add another big paw to the family.  My house is bursting at the seams with my 4 sons and 4 dogs.  As much as I'd like to adopt just about every dog I see on Petfinder ;), I have to consider what would be best for the family I already have.  I know that down the line when my kids and dogs are a few years older, I'll be able handle another dog or two.

Maybe for you, it will be sooner.  You seem mostly worried about how you can physically manage so many big paws, especially when the ones you already have still pull on the lead.  I had the same problem with my pyrs up until last Friday when I bought them both Halti collars from Petsmart.  It's like a miracle!!!  Now I can walk both dogs at the same time and neither pull AT ALL!!  I can literally correct them with one finger!  I can't believe I waited months to buy these things.  Maybe they can help your guys, too?

Good luck! :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 06:24:02 am »
Ooooh, an IW!  I would be jumping at the chance.  But then I would remind myself that I already have 4 and would have to bring myself back to reality.

Even though we have 4 and it is doable, I think 3 is probably a better number.  Although it could be that the 3 younger ones are all w/i a year of each other.  When we went from 2 dogs to 4 it was a difficult transition to say the least.  Gunther was 1.5 yrs old, and the ratties were 6 mo old so 3 puppies in the house was not a fun time (I will NEVER do that again!).  Plus after getting the ratties we moved about 2 days later out of Ca to Mn (and now to IL) and they completely forgot their potty training once we got here and they were a year old before they were fully trained again.

But enough about me..........lo l.  Okay just a little more.  I have a list of future dog breeds I want but I know my limits and besides the hard time we had finding a town to live in that allowed 4 it is very expensive.  So for now I've decided to add a number of small animals (birds/reptiles) to lessen my broodiness.... ....lol.

I agree that if you're having reservations perhaps now isn't the best time to add another dog.  HOwever, I am sure that if you did decide to get one, you would never look back on the decision and regret it.  To get Keiko and Gunther used to the idea we did a "test" visit with Nigel and Posey for a few weeks to see if it would work out.  Of course at that time I was only planning on adding 1 more dog, but we all know how that works.  ::)

And if I had 4 giant dogs?  I would never be able to take that many out at one time.  I can walk my 4 at once on their walks, but not out in public the ratties get too excited.  At Petsmart they ride in the cart and the other two are on leash and it works good. I tried one time w/o the cart and it was a disaster.  So if we go out anywhere else I never take more than 2.  I couldn't imagine doing it with numerous big dogs.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 03:56:45 pm »
I love the black IWs (I didn't even know they came in black till I saw the little sweetie on here) We have had 4 dogs for years... 2 danes and 2 min-pins, then we lost our oldest dane, and got our IW...then had to re-home a min-pin and ended up with another Dane, so 4 is our # I guess. However thorn (dane) is 8 yrs. and Dixie (min-pin mix) is 5. The 2 pups are 9 months...and it would be total chaos if we added another young dog. I want a black dane girl soooo bad, I even saw the perfect girl on a local classified, but I know it would be too much (she was only a month older than the girls...eeek). With the dogs we have now, I feel comfortable with the attention they get etc.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 05:25:15 pm »
Both of our wolfhounds are very good to walk in public. They don't pull. My son, Talon, who is 6, and weighs about 50lbs., can walk Amy at a dog show. Here are a few pics for your husband.....(Still working on Sara's stack)
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 06:16:55 pm »
This is the idea we use to determine how many dogs are too many.  If you had an emergency and had to evacuate the family and pets in one vehicle, could you do it?  We can't, and there is a female black Italian Mastiff just born at my fave breeder's.  Wah!!!

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

lorim2

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 06:48:57 pm »
Hmmmmm...I have a 33ft motorhome!  Yahooooo...I can get a ton more puppies!!

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 07:04:38 pm »
I can't get enough of your Sara!!! Man she is a beauty. I have no plans to add another IW...but if I did it would be a Black female. :)
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 07:40:52 pm »
Everyone is different for the amount of dogs....we haven't found our limit yet. We are friends with a couple that have 19 dogs....borzoi and whippets....th e dogs take turns in the house....only 9 at a time  :)
As for how many can you get in one vehicle??? Our 5th wheel has a 12 ft garage which is great for the dogs.
I'll try to get a pic of Sara and her favorite chew toy (Joy) on here sometime today....slow day today
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 08:31:54 pm »
I'm glad you're being thoughtful about this.  I think if you have the space, the time, the energy, and can afford it - go for it.  :)

Secretly, I'm totally with Tina... If my hubby was for it, I would have a hard time saying no. ;)  Good luck!
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)