Author Topic: NEED HELP!!!! NEW DOG....  (Read 6355 times)

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
NEED HELP!!!! NEW DOG....
« on: July 31, 2005, 06:33:30 pm »
Hi I am a new owner of an Akita her name is Zima!!! I was givin her by her past owners because she was agressive towards their other dog. Zima was rescued by them fom a pet shop!! She is soo scared... of everything! People..shadow s..noises..she doesnt want to go outside! what can I do to help her get over this????
Nicole

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: NEED HELP!!!! NEW DOG....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 06:49:54 pm »
Nicole,
I would probably begin by slowly rewarding her with treats everytime she went outside from your house. Go to different areas of the house and yard, go from different angles and make it fun. Then, I would slowly introduce her to other things and keep rewarding her with each step that she makes. I am sure that others here can give you great advice! Good luck and stick with it!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 06:50:00 pm »
Rake her to an off leash dog park and begin to socialize her slowlt abs for only a few mintues at fist with her ON-LEAD. just sit and keep her close.
First shw qill be in a good play to observe that aggression is not needed.She will staret building tust of other dogs and when you think she is ready to go off leash she will have a lot of fun.
This type ot social training will also iin my opinion help solve many of the fear issues you wtiyr of as I have seen many dogs that once the begin to be socail lose the bad things like that.
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 06:53:31 pm »
sorry for the treibble spelling everyone. I was typeing is semi darkness.
Most important of all is gett SEVERAL goods books and training  materials on AKITA's. They are wonderful dogs but require a lot of work.
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 11:09:30 pm »
Thank you Jabear and MarkAD !!! Jabear I have been doing that and she is responding well with it!! Mark I was lucky enough and so was she to have the previous owners. She was trained very well by them and they had been taking her to dog parks so I think I will continue to do that also!! thanks you guys!!
Nicole

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 08:25:26 am »
anyone else have any sug?
Nicole

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 08:40:52 am »
She is really a sweet looking dog. I found this online I hope there are somethings here for you . It refers to a dog named Zoey. It is refering mainly to people shyness- but I find it applicable to most other situations too. Obedience school may be a great place to start.

"Living with a scared dog can be challenging for the entire family. Non confident canines require gentle schooling, and patience from their owners. Consider these training ideas to help your nervous canine.

Obedience training is mandatory for the shy dog. A dog working commands is a confident dog. Training should be on the leash and outside of the house. Practice come, sit, down and walking exercises. Use 'super praise' when she exhibits any confident behavior. This training helps you and your dog communicate better, and will improve your over all relationship. The family dog must have a solid obedience training foundation in order to become a confident, well behaved canine.

People therapy. Start with someone sitting outside with their back to Zoey. Place food treats in their outstretched hands. Instruct them not to make eye contact with Zoey or speak. Praise her when she takes the treat. Have the person slowly move inside the house, when you think Zoey is ready. This person must only pet her under the chin and on the chest, a pat on the head will send her running! People therapy must be done regularly to help Zoey overcome her shyness and gain trust in human beings.

Protect dog's private areas. Do not allow guest to enter these areas until Zoey has meet them outside with food treats. Ask friends to pet her under the chin and on the chest. She will accept praise from strangers better this way. Avoid letting anyone reach or lunge to pet her. Have them stand still and let Zoey go over to them first.

Do not pet or praise your dog when she is scared and say "It's OK". Your canine will assume you are praising them for being scared. You should act happy and confident in these situations. Praise reinforces your canine's behavior, what ever it is.

Yawn. Yawning is a calming signal for dogs. Practice yawning with your guest for several minutes. You will notice your canine relaxing the more you yawn. Have your guest sit in the floor and yawn. They should not make eye contact with Zoey. Use plenty of food treats during exercises.

Exercise your dog! Free play with another canine is a great way to open up a shy dog. Dog's who do not trust people, need other dogs as companions. Allow the dogs to romp around in a fenced area. Have the owner of the other dog pet Zoey if possible. Let the dogs tire out before going home. Free play may be the best therapy for the shy dog.

Most shy dogs can become friendly with positive human interaction. The dog must learn to trust the individual before accepting a friendship. Use food along the way and don't allow people to threaten your canine. Let your dog set the pace of training and do not over stimulate! Let her decide how close she will get to someone. Remember to praise your dog when she exhibits any confident behavior. Exercise is also a key ingredient for successful training and overall behavior. Good Luck!"

« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 08:42:35 am by Icerotti »

ann

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 09:58:12 am »

wow what a pritty girl she is.....i would say go slow with her and help her build her confedance have other people give her treats and when she is around other dogs as soon as she starts to show aggresion get her attention back to you nip it in the bud as soon as possible....go od luck with her.....

ann

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 01:38:41 pm »
Right on Ice!
And MarkAD, when you take your animal to an off leash park, turn it loose! Dogs that are afraid will defend themselves, they feel the restaints of the leash, and their territory is restricted. Most dogs will give your dog space if it is free to walk away. If it is restrained then the dogs that have something to 'prove' will take advantage. Don't put your animal in that position. If it doesn't respond well with the others, remove it from the park! Don't think that your animal was being bad, it was being a dog!
So many times I've seen Newbies bring their dogs into the park and keep them on leash.
Their excuse, "He/She hasn't been around other dogs, and we don't want her to misbehave."
That dog will defend it's territory, its' Master, and will be aggressive toward any animal, and sometimes, person, who comes within her 'territory', the leash.
Turn it loose, but be prepared to get it under control, if it does 'misbehave'.
You'd be surprised how a big, tough, dog can become a submissive, quivering, hunk of dog flesh, give it a chance to prove itself.

John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman