Author Topic: Another Pyr Behaviour Question From What I Have Read  (Read 4557 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Another Pyr Behaviour Question From What I Have Read
« on: February 20, 2008, 08:12:05 am »
I have read in every article I have been able to find on Pyrenees that they are protective but not attack dogs,not sure exactly what they mean...they rave about them being protective of property,livestock or humans but say they arent attack dogs.Differenc e Please?
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Another Pyr Behaviour Question From What I Have Read
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:16:56 am »
Mine won't go looking for trouble and they are super friendly to anyone that they meet that isn't threatening one of us.  However, the bark like fuzzy demons if they hear someone drive up to let the person know that there are dogs on duty if they're needed, but they don't assume that the person is a threat just because they are a stranger.  Typically, my pups wag their tails big time and beg for pets through the fence. I've said this so many times before (sorry), but in all these years of living w/Pyrs I have only seen one of mine (it was Cara) take a true protective stance 3x and each time I think that she was right.  Otherwise, they love everyone large and small especially if they love to pet furry people but if someone ever threatened any of us, I know that they'd be a force to be reckoned with.  I love that they are so sweet & gentle but capable.  This blend is so important to us, so we socialize our pups a lot and their pyrfect instincts take care of the rest.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:00:18 pm »
When Lily is guarding at home it is just amazing!!! She doesn't just bark...but she throws herself in the air, lifting left then right paws and barks like someone actually murdering us  ::)
When I take her for walk at night and someone would pop out of the blue she gets very tence and her back fur would be standing, she gets very close to me and growls. I just love it!
I am not sure if they would attack  ???
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:07:55 pm »
When Lily is guarding at home it is just amazing!!! She doesn't just bark...but she throws herself in the air, lifting left then right paws and barks like someone actually murdering us  ::)
When I take her for walk at night and someone would pop out of the blue she gets very tence and her back fur would be standing, she gets very close to me and growls. I just love it!
I am not sure if they would attack  ???

Though mine have never attacked, Cara's parents were working/show dogs and I was told that they'd "taken down" coyotes while guarding their sheep.  I also saw a very impressive video on the net once of European pyrs chasing off a group of bears that were hanging out too close to a bus stop.  If I can find it again, I'll post the link.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 03:39:38 pm »
Thats what I am wondering,The size the bark is a great detterent and I know they will chase,take down 4 legged predators BUT if a human was actually attacking you would the pyr come to the rescue against a human like he would a 4 legged predator?thats what is confusing about what I read.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 03:54:43 pm »
Thats what I am wondering,The size the bark is a great detterent and I know they will chase,take down 4 legged predators BUT if a human was actually attacking you would the pyr come to the rescue against a human like he would a 4 legged predator?thats what is confusing about what I read.
I don't think they will attack a person.
I had a couple who were looking for a guard dog. They realized that Pyr would not attack and got a Rotty instead :)

Modified...my coworker has a farm and a neighbor who has bunch of sheep. She had a guest from Italy who went to the field to get newborn sheep while Pyr was guarding there. The guy came back with ripped jacket and scared and didn't get newborns  :-\ Maybe they attack while protecting lifestock and not humans  :-X
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:58:30 pm by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 04:08:32 pm »
They are not bred to attack  It is inherent in the breed that if they get in a fight and lose then the flock will be unprotected- so attack is a very last resort.  But yes they will protect a human that belongs to them  2 stories in point

I had a Pyr staying with a friend.  Late one night he was sleeping on the sofa and a drunken friend came bounding up the stairs - she barked, she blocked and the man kept coming- so she grabbed him by the arm and held him and she wasn't kidding.

A friend of mine who lived in a very isloated area came home one day to find a strange man plastered against the wall with the male Pyr standing up on his shoulders and just daring him to move.  The dog held him in that position until the police came. 

I call them guard dogs without the lawsuit.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 04:12:09 pm »
The time there were 4 people sneaking around the outside of my neighbor's house at night when I took my dogs out and I tensed up, Jenny started barking like crazy, the hair went up on her back, and she was moving in their direction.  It was definitely a deterrent as the people left. I don't know if she wasn't on a leash if she would chase them away or actually "attack" or not, but I do know that I felt very protected by her and her stance.  ;)  
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 04:17:42 pm »

I call them guard dogs without the lawsuit.
You couldn't say it better!!!
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 04:21:03 pm »
The time there were 4 people sneaking around the outside of my neighbor's house at night when I took my dogs out and I tensed up, Jenny started barking like crazy, the hair went up on her back, and she was moving in their direction.  It was definitely a deterrent as the people left. I don't know if she wasn't on a leash if she would chase them away or actually "attack" or not, but I do know that I felt very protected by her and her stance.  ;) 
Our neighbors really enjoy Lily for her guarding quality. She barks at anyone walking by the fence or in front of the house.  Some people had mentioned that they feel safe with Lily around  ;D We had 3 burglaries around before Lily came and none after  ;)
Mary W. Crane