Author Topic: Inherited Mom's Pyr  (Read 3697 times)

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Inherited Mom's Pyr
« on: February 21, 2008, 06:08:32 am »
Ihave inherited my Mom's Great Pyrenees and lab mix because she recently passed.  We have not moved him to my home yet because we are still trying to take care of her house.  We are not going to move the dogs until everything is finished with the house.  He is three years old and he has never been leash trained.  He will be moving from a fenced acre to a regular fenced intown lot.  I need direction because I have never had a GP.  He is a beautiful dog.  I do not want to separate the dogs because they are all that they know.  She would have wanted the dogs to remain in the family we know that both dogs will need to be walked daily for excercise and that is not a problem.  He is also very shy and unsure of us he was totally devoted to her and I can tell he is grieving.  He will let us pet him very briefly and that is only if we have a treat.  He acts like he wants to come to us but is very cautious.  The lab is not an issue but I am worried about the GP.

Thanks

Icerotti

Re: Inherited Mom's Pyr
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 06:19:28 am »
I am so sorry to hear of your moms passing. You have a huge heart to keep the dogs togther and take them into your home. I don't have a pyr so I am not much help. The others here will have lots of info for you.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:42:46 am »
I am so sorry that you lost your mom.  It's hard to cope with.  Bless you for keeping her dogs together and taking them into your home.  This will be a very hard time for both of them, but I somehow think it will be harder for the pyr.  As long as you give him time to grieve and don't expect miracles overnight, I think it will be fine.  Are you going to be taking some of her things with you?  I was thinking of something that would retain her scent, blanket, quilt, comforter, etc.  My mother lived with me for a few years, before she went into the nursing home and my female springer fell in love with mama.  I took her to the nursing home to visit at least 2 or 3 times a week, while mama was there.  When we knew she was dying, I brought mama to my house to die.  Chichi would lay on the floor by mamas bed for hours, unless I called her out to eat, go out, etc.  At night, Chichi and I slept in the bed with mama between us, up until she died.  Afterwards, I gave Chichi Mamas quilt to sleep on.  She had it in the nursing home and here in my house, so she knew it was hers.  I also didn't wash it for a few weeks, until she had gotten to the point that she wasn't sniffing it each time she laid on it and would occassionally sleep on her bed, instead of the quilt.  I think it helped her to get over her passing.  I think it also helped that mama died here and she got the chance to sniff the body afterwards.  I think dogs know when the soul has departed.  As far as the other, dogs adapt really quickly to changes in their lives, as far as where they live.  Jake, my pyr, came to us from a goat farm, living outside 24/7, sleeping on the ground, not housebroken, etc.  He now sleeps with me every night.  Cody came from a foster home, living outside,on a few acres in the country, etc.  He loves being an inside dog.  The dogs will adapt.  Just be patient, start their training, and the process of you working with them to teach them the things you want them to do, will actually be a beginning in their forging strong bonds with you.  As far as breed specific info is concerned, pyrs are barkers.  They are basically guard dogs, meaning they are territorial and protective of what they consider to be theirs.  They are not aggressive, by any means, but are naturally protective and will defend their "pack" and territory.  They are normally very social, loving, dogs off property and are great dogs to take with you to dog friendly places, stores, parks, etc.  Pyrs can be very stubborn and independent, meaning they are very intelligent dogs, but have been bred for making their own decisions and determining what they should be doing on their own.  They are very loving dogs though and usually respond well to gentle corrections and positive reinforcement.  I would never "snap" or jerk a leash on Jake, in order to get his attention or correct him.  When we got him, he pulled me down the street, up other driveways, into light poles, etc.  I finally bought him a prong collar.  The first time I put it on him, he started to pull, felt the collar and stopped.  The nice thing about a prong collar, especially with a pyr, the prongs go through the heavy fur and actually touch the skin, plus the collar lets them correct themselves, you don't have to.  All I have to do now is put it on him and he is as good as gold on a leash.  Actually, he is even good on a regular chain collar now.  They are not hard to train, they just take more reinforcement and patience, especially as adults, than some other breeds do.  They are not a dog that will happily follow you around, eagerly looking for something to do to make you happy.  Also, if you plan on bathing him, be prepared to have to wet him down, shampoo him, to get the fur wet all the way to the skin and then shampoo him again.  It will take a while to dry him as well, blowdryers help a lot.  Pyrs are usually just brushed out good, periodically and not bathed more than 3 or 4 times a year.  It can ruin his coat to do it too often.  If you are tempted to shave him for the summer, please don't.  The same heavy coat that keeps them warm in winter, actually acts as insulation against the summer heat to keep them cool.  Also, if you shave the fur off, you have to use a good sunscreen to protect him from sunburn, due to all the white skin. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:05:01 am »
Thank you so much for your input, I have heard that you train Pyrs differently then other dogs.  I wonder if I should get a book on GP, do you think that would be helpful.  My GP is named Buddy, and he is huge, but so beautiful.  I can see how people can fall in love with them.  If you have any other thoughts or suggestions please let me know.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:46:08 am »
Hi Momdog.

I also wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss of your mother, I can't begin to imagine how horrible you feel about that.  Also thank you for taking her dogs into your home and keeping them together, they need each other right now, and you're doing a wonderful thing for keeping them together.  Kathy and Julie have offered some fantastic advise for training, and I just wanted to add my two cents regarding leash training.  When I first got my Girl Naja she was not leash or coller trained (Although she was only 16 weeks).  Just make sure to introduce them slowly and with lots of praise and treats, keep the coller on for only a few minutes at a time.  Same goes for the leash, do not hold the leash too firm at first, let Buddy get used to it before going out for any length of time.  It'll make your walks much more enjoyable, and save your back and shoulders quite a bit of pain I'm sure.   ;)

Please keep us posted about how they are doing, they sound like really lucky dogs to have a family that cares so much about them.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:54:37 am »
I must admit, I had to back out of here for a bit. I was so very touched by your post it brought tears.

I offer condolences to you and your Family for your loss. You do your Mother great tribute as is clear in your devotion to see that her wishes and the care taking of her beloved companions is done as she would want. Bless you.

Pyrs are indeed different. I have loved these Gentle Giants for so long. They are my passion & well deserved.

There are many good books and publications about the breed. Many fine Breeders and owners are more than willing to share information you seek. Area GP Clubs are extreemly helpful as well. The GPCA website is a wonderful source of information.

BPO is a wonderful place to come for not just Pry & BigPaw Info - but friendship and support as well. While I wish the curcumstances of your joining in were of a happier nature, I'm glad you found us. So ask away as questions come up.

Everyone else has said everything so well.  :)

Jane, 'Rainbow' & 'Whisper'

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 08:04:33 am »
Congrats on the new addition to your family, though it does come under unforurtunate circumstances  :-[  I am very sorry for your loss.  The thing about Great Pyrs are that they are super sensitive and co dependant.  They will go off on their own and do their own thing constantly but they need to know where "thier people" are.  They depend on your emotions a lot.  So if was devoted to your mother then he had become used to her emotions and her needs and acclimated to her life.  All he needs to do now is see that you love him and he will become emotionally secure with you.
Good luck, if you have problems or questions eveyone here is very knowledgable.
Susan.

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 08:57:13 am »
So Sorry about your Mom :'(
I am sure you will do fine with the dogs and you should be commneded for taking them like you are,your Mom would be happy.There are lots of wonderful pyr people on here that will and can help you and also great links on site about the Pyrenees.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 09:27:00 am »
Welcome, Momdog.  I'm so very sorry for your loss.  :'(  I had the same problem as Jane (MaryPyrs), it took me awhile to respond b/c I had tears in my eyes reading your post, as it's something that I know that I will face one day in the not too distant future.  My parents have rescued many pets over the years and I know that when they pass away they will want all of us to show the love to their pets that you are showing to your mom's.  How you are caring for your mom's pets now is a way that you can continue to show your love for her.  Bless you for that!

My mother did in-home private elder care for many years and has inherited a number of pets from her patients that asked her to care for them after they passed.  She says that the dogs (and some of the cats) have all seemed to grieve and that doesn't surprise me at all.  I like Kathy's idea of giving the dogs blankets or some item that would have your mom's scent to comfort them.  It also occurred to me that since Buddy is part Pyr, and Pyrs bond closely with & protect the people or animals that they live with, he may be feeling especially lost right now.  In time though with love & care he will bond with you & your family and feel secure again. If they like to be groomed, that is one very nice way to bond with a dog.  For some like my Daisy & Cassie, it's just pure bliss to be brushed gently.  For others, like my Sammy, it's really miserable, so you'll have to decide what will work best for your dogs.  When we adopted Cassie & Sammy last year as adults, we just kept things as calm as possible for the first few weeks and worked with them with basic obedience and lots of treats.  I think that the treats really help to create a bond, too.  

I'm glad that you found BPO and I look forward to hearing more about your pups as you have time.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees