Author Topic: Barking and other dogs  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Barking and other dogs
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:37:47 am »
Hello Again,

From the different responses that I am reading I assume the Great Pyr are barkers when anything is going on.  I know that in town there are certain noise ordinances and was concerned of how to handle excessive barking.

Also I have two indoor Dogs that are Chihuahua's not my choice teenage daughter brought them home for a rescue because they were going to put them to sleep.  I couldn't turn them away, I guess it is a character flaw. I am wondering if the dogs will mix.  I don't plan on putting them together.

I think I am hooked on this website it has been very helpful so far and everyone seems to be very caring.

Thanks So Much Bev-MomDog

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Barking and other dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:03:40 pm »
Hi Bev, yes Pyrs do bark...ummm, a lot!  Well, that is if they see, hear, or sense anything move anyway.  LOL  ;D  ;)  That is just their guardian instincts at work and there really isn't any way to train it out of them.  The only way my Pyrs stay quiet (especially at night) is to keep them in the house so that they don't have as many distractions that will make them bark.  Because they don't guard by being aggressive, but rather by barking to scare off the intruder, it just isn't something that will go away.  Instead, our family has really learned to appreciate the protection as well as the sweet companions that they are and we've found ways to keep them from being a bother to the neighbors.

Here is a wonderful web site with tons of great info on Pyrs. 

www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library.htm

It is run by Catherine de la Cruz who is one of the long time experts within the Great Pyrenees Club of America.  You will find lots of info on the breed and some of it will be pretty comical, too.  I hope that this helps.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 03:00:26 pm »
Hi there, Bev! ;D

Since I have 2 pyrs and 2 little paws I thought I'd chime in here!  :D  My little guys were here first - one is 5 years old and the other 3 years old.  We adopted the pyrs last summer and discovered quickly that we were going to have to work out a system to keep them apart most of the day.  And it sure wasn't because of the pyrs!  My little terriers bark and nip constantly at them and it just gets really annoying!  The pyrs are so sweet, though.  They just look down at them with their tails wagging.  They're not bothered at all by them!

Anyway, our system is simple.  We use a baby gate to separate them.  The little dogs get the kitchen, living room, and two bedrooms, and the pyrs get the laundry room, upstairs living room, and the two upstairs bedrooms.  Also, the little ones are paper trained, so they don't have to be let out all the time.  (the back door is through the laundry room - the pyrs' domain!)  When we do let them out, they get the yard to themselves so they can run around without worrying about getting accidentally stomped on.  We do let them play outside together sometimes, but only when we can watch them all closely so that nobody gets hurt.

I have a youtube video of them all playing together.  I already posted it here a few months ago, but it shows how the little ones run the show at my house.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkrDJYZr_QY

Good luck introducing your chihuahuas with your mom's pyr and lab-mix.  By the way, I think you're wonderful for taking them in and keeping them together. It's such a kind and loving thing to do. 

Amy

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:12:59 pm »
Yes, pyrs are bred to bark, especially at night, however, I must say that Jenny isn't that bad of a barker. She sleeps indoors, which is a must if you want to not have complete and total barking all night long! But while Jenny does bark at various things, she quiets down when I tell her it's ok and she does a lot of low grumbling sounds, which I kinda like. She definitely isn't what I would describe as a nuisance barker (like my mom's dog--ugh!).  I imagine that while your mom's pyr is getting used to the sounds at your house, you will have more barking for a while. That's how Jenny was when she came to live with me last October, but once she got used to the regular noises of my house, she barked less.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:16:54 pm »
Jake barks at everything he sees, hears, etc.  At night he sleeps in bed with me and I can reach over, pat him and say shush.  Amy, Jake kind of does a rumbling thing, too.  It sounds kinda cool.  I can't leave them out in the sunroom during the times that my hubby is sleeping during the day either, or they bark a lot.  Keep in mind that most pyrs will also bark at large birds flying overhead, so you may not see or hear anything and it may be a bird flying.  As far as the chis, I would probably try introducing them.  My daughter-in-law has a little 4 lb, 9 y/o chi that comes over to visit my boys from time to time.  They love her and she runs around under them, driving them crazy.  Cody wants to protect her from them and carries her around in his mouth.  Jake lets her snuggle up on his back and lay down.  She lives with 3 pit bulls and is used to big dogs and staying out from under their feet.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 05:43:14 am »
I loved the video of the smaller dogs with the larger dogs, it was very interesting to see the dynamics of the animals all together.  It is evident to see that the smaller dogs were in charge, but if they were threatened would the Pyr's protect their smaller counterparts. 

With Dolly (Lab & Black Mouth Kerr some herding dog so I have been told), and Buddy they are constantly trying to herd each other, it is very funny to watch.  I am also concerned because I have a 2 year old grandson that lives with us, and I am wondering how the larger dogs are going to interact with him.  I also have a son that is LD and I think the dogs are going to be great for him.  I think overall the dogs are going to be very healing for our family and I think that we will help each other through the grieving process. 

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 05:53:47 am »
My grandson just turned 3.  He learned quickly when he comes into the kitchen, where the dogs always are, to walk around the kitchen facing the counters, with his back to the dogs, towards my kitchen bar chair.  He climbs up in it and watches the dogs and they can lay their heads in his lap for him to pet.  When we first got Max, he was 5 months old and Mason, my grandson, was only 1.5.  He was knocked down quite a bit, accidently, and it took us a while to teach Max not to paw him in the face.  That is when he learned to walk with his back to them, by the counters.  If they brush up against him, he can brace himself on the counters.  He grew up with 2 hyper pit mixes and a chi, so he is very dog savy.  As long as you watch your grandson, with the dogs, he should be just fine.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats