Author Topic: Great Pyreneese Addictive?  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Great Pyreneese Addictive?
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:58:23 am »
I am getting the feeling that having a great pyrenees is addicting.  I have been reading a lot of the postings and see such loving homes that it is truly touching, and that it seems the owners are as devoted as the breed itself is to the owner.   

I remember Mom always yelling at Buddy because he was barking, so I do know he is a barker.  What do you think about crating him at night?  I think I am going to have a few neighbors that are stinkers.  Eventhough we have several other dogs that are barkers.   

As far as grooming are there tools that I need special brushes because of 2 coats? 

Should training treats and special treats be different?  Thanks 

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Great Pyreneese Addictive?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:04:32 am »
I use both a brush and a rake to get at the undercoat. They both work well. I have heard wonderful things about the furminator, but haven't used one yet myself. I also give Jenny salmon oil on her food to help with her coat as well.

I give my dogs bully sticks to chew as a special treat, to keep them busy, etc. They both love them and I feel more at ease giving them the bully sticks than I do rawhides, in terms of choking, digestability, etc. 

For training, I just use small bits of store bought treats, usually Innova EVO treats. And I couldn't agree with you more, Pyrs are definitely addicting!!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:08:22 am »
I am getting the feeling that having a great pyrenees is addicting.  I have been reading a lot of the postings and see such loving homes that it is truly touching, and that it seems the owners are as devoted as the breed itself is to the owner.   

I remember Mom always yelling at Buddy because he was barking, so I do know he is a barker.  What do you think about crating him at night?  I think I am going to have a few neighbors that are stinkers.  Eventhough we have several other dogs that are barkers.   

As far as grooming are there tools that I need special brushes because of 2 coats? 

Should training treats and special treats be different?  Thanks 

I can definatley chime in on the addicting part :D I have fallen in such love with the bred I cant wait to get another..ha..h a..I want though until Bear is grown,he is enough puppy to handle/work with,only 1 at a time for me.

I use a wire slicker brush on him,He gets brushed every night after dinner,thats him and I time.

As far as barker,he so far is not,,but hes only 3 1/2 months old.He will bark when in his crate really bad if I go in the same room when he is in the crate(he wants out)

I would love to see pics of your boy,both of them.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:13:53 am »
Yep, I am addicted!!!  ;D

Furminator doesn't work on Lily's coat at all! I use it for paws only and it does a great job. I wouldn't recommend a slicker brush because it breaks the hair. You will need a rake, pin brush and finishing comb.

I don't crate at night and Lily never barks. She sleeps in our bedroom which is in the back of the house away from the street.

Treats...train ing treats should be special treats  ;)

Good luck and welcome!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:12:24 am »
Yes, I am hopelessly addicted to Pyrs.  I first fell in love with Pyrs from the pic & description that I saw in a book when we were just newlyweds & had just bought our first home together.  After talking to many breeders, we finally met the right one and we got Cara.  That was 19 years ago now.  When we retire we plan to pack up the pups & the RV and travel the US & Canada with them.  My husband calls it the Pyr Tour.  :D I can't wait to see the sights, and get to finally meet some of the wonderful dog lovers that I've gotten to know over the years.

Crating is a great solution if your dogs aren't anxious in there.  Two of ours can be crated if needed, one can't due to anxiety.  However, if your dogs are house trained and not inclined to eat or damage stuff, you may find that they make the very, very best area rugs.  ;)  Mine sleep inside wherever they want and that is usually by entry doors, beside our beds or on the sofas.  Sometimes they actually sleep on their own beds.   ;)  ;D

This is the grooming tool that I use the most:

www.copperbopp ers.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16276

It has a double row of teeth that rotate so it doesn't pull their hair as much but gets out a lot of undercoat and works great for us.  I've been meaning to order a Furminator for awhile to try, but I've wondered if I would be able to get it through Sam's super dense, long coat.  Hmmm, it's interesting to hear that it doesn't work well on Lily, so maybe I should stick to my mat rake.  I don't know.... :-\
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 01:26:42 pm »
Apparently I am using the wrong brush :P I use the slicker but havent noticed his hair breaking off but I dont want to take any chances either.What exactly do I need to get and where do I get it? does Petsmart or Petco carry them?

Remember my boy is a pup so he doesnt have the long outer coat yet so reccomend something good for a pup please ;D
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:37:34 pm »
Apparently I am using the wrong brush :P I use the slicker but havent noticed his hair breaking off but I dont want to take any chances either.What exactly do I need to get and where do I get it? does Petsmart or Petco carry them?

Remember my boy is a pup so he doesnt have the long outer coat yet so reccomend something good for a pup please ;D
Regular pin brush and a finishing comb will do it. It will make his blood flowing and massage his coat.
Once he gets longer coat and an undercoat you will need a rake.
Yes, petsmart has all of it  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)