Author Topic: bark collars that spray contain poison?!?  (Read 4887 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
bark collars that spray contain poison?!?
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:17:27 am »
 :o

So after reading many posts and websites about bark collars I decided to buy one and try it out on Marley. I sort of chickened out of the shock collars, not because I think they are cruel but because many seem to go defective and shock unnessarily. I bought one of the spray collars - gives out a spray of non scented mist that is suppose to startle the dog and annoy him and he stops barking. As I am reading the fine print on the cartridge it explains how this is poison, to not get it on your hands, in your mouth eyes etc and to contact a poison control center if you happen to ingest it!! how is this ok for dogs??
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

marypyrs

Re: bark collars that spray contain poison?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:28:55 am »
"how is this ok for dogs??"

It isn't.  :'(

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 08:34:35 am »
if it is the citranella bark collar, then it is toxic if you drink the whole container, consists of the gas that allows it to spray out.  many kids, abuse this factor and it can be deadly because of that.  That is the only reason, from looking online about them.  You can also call poison control and find out why...it is a free  call.i can get the number for you if you would like. They have a person and pet line..
An example of over doing the warnings.... my nephew got a hold of lysol (he is 3) and sprayed it in his mouth.  My sister called poison control...espe cially because of all the warnings on the back...poison control said the only dangerous thing is alcohol.  Not anything else...just the alcohol in the spray. 

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:14:35 am »
I agree,,not right,not for a pyr atleast.

Ok,here I go..Pyrs bark,thats part of them part of the breed,they are doing there job when they bark,to dicipline for that is not right.If you do not want a barking dog do not get one thats known for this.(not you personaly,but anyone)I cringe when I hear people complain about a barking outside pyr,they are suppose to.Go anywhere and read on the breed,they are warning predators,I have just read yet another article on pyrs barking,Says not to correct and cant"Train it out of them"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:17:07 am by GreatPyr »
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 01:37:05 am »
I will have to respectivley disagree :-\

Some dogs bark out of boredom,behaviour issues and so forth but a pyr is designed to bark to let predators(what they see as a predator is not excatly what we may see as a predator)they bark to warn/alert predators,2 legged or 4 legged to let them know they are around.I would have to disagree being its a pyr...They are not dogs to have in a  neighborhood unless the braking is not going to be a problem or they can be brought in at night so they do not disturbe the neighbors.The Pyr rescue is full due to people that get this breed and try to keep them in a subdivision(outside)or become annoyed by the barking,I am sorry but part of the breed... and to spray,shock,discipline for barking when outside doing there job is wrong.

Now...like bear barking at me when inside the house in his crate when I am sitting at the computer and wants out could warrant some Nos..but I still do not because I know he has the need to be near me,he gets out checks on the family,makes his rounds and then hes ok to go back in,I know he is doing what he is bred to do..making sure everyone is ok,He cant do that locked behind a closed crate door.

You can read any article any breeder will tell you Pyrs bark when outside ecspecially at night...if this doesnt work for you then a pyr is not the dog for you.
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:37:46 am »
Sorry,I went off on a tangant :P

In another post shes bringing him in now at night.

Sorry Marley.
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 08:55:42 am »

Your boy will probably learn to not bark just with the warning beep.

This is of course if you purchased the multivet product.  I don't have info on the other brands.

Thanks for the note about Multivet. Yes it is this type of collar. There must be different types sold where you live because all the pet stores in my area don't sell one with a warning beep! too bad cause I would love that! Thanks again for the reasurrance about the cannister contents.
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:01:50 am »
Wowzers... hot topic. Ok well thank you everyone for your opinions as it is always interesting to see all points of view. Yes Marley is inside at night now - sort of.. we built a door on his house and that has nipped the barking in the bud at night. As for day time he only gets the collar put on if he is excessively barking at no obvious threat. What I mean is, he isn't wearing the collar 24/7 to not bark at all. If he is running around the yard barking at the falling leaves so to speak and after a few stern "no's" or "it's alright" he gets the collar put on. He seems to get the message - mostly I can tell this because he is actually starting to see the collar and stop barking and go lie down. I would rather have him respond to command when needed and be free to bark when someone drives in the yard as my first choice of behaviour however sometimes it seems to take a little help to get to that level of training.
Again..thanks for all the info and opinions. For anyone wanting to know the success of the spray collar - so far it seems to be a nice little training aid.

:)
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada