Author Topic: Tomorrow is Phoebes day to get Spayed./ Were home! Picture of a very tired Girl.  (Read 6447 times)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Tomorrow Phoebe will go in and be spay, does anyone have any tips for me for her recovery.  I expect everything to go smoothly.  I am still unsure if I should chip her.  Are there any special questions I should ask the vet?   
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 07:54:51 am by MollyGirl »
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tomorrow is Phoebes day to get Spayed.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:09:26 am »
I don't have any advice for you as all of my crew were neutered/spayed by the rescue/shelter that I got them from. Jenny was spayed months before I adopted her. But when you mention about the chip are you referring to microchipping her? If so, I wanted to add that both of my dogs are microchipped and it certainly gives me piece of mind just in case they get away from me and lose their collars somehow. I watched both of them get their chips and it was as simple as them getting a vaccination. Neither one of them had any bad reactions, etc.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Phoebe!!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:47:45 am »
Goodluck and I am sure things will be fine,vets do it all the time.I do not have any advise to offer,I have only had 2 females in my lifetime and they where in a breeding program so of course never had a female spayed but I know people that have and things went fine.

I can understand your worry,I am having our 8 year old cocker neutered March 4th for dominace reasons and I am really worried because he is 8.

Please give an update on her.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 01:23:23 am »
Awww. Miss Phoebe will be just fine. Miles got neutered the beginning of january and it went very well. I think the hardest part was keeping him relatively calm for two weeks. Especially since we could only go on short walks, and had to limit all physical activity. We did alot of mental stimulation, like working on commands. Miles did not have dissolvable sutures, so we did have to return to the vet for removal, and I just could not wait!

The vet also suggested I make Miles wear his e-collar for the WHOLE 14 days, and I blew that off after day 2. It really wasn't necessary. He didn't mess with the incision much at all. I made him wear it the first week when I wasn't home to supervise or at night, then the second week, I let him go without it whether supervised or not. I think the thing was just as annoying for me as it was for him.

As far as microchipping goes, I think it's a personal decision. I personally did not get the microchip. If Phoebe is outside alot unsupervised, whether in a fenced in area or not, I would probably get it. If she tries to sneak out the front door alot when you open it or you have small children that may accidentally let her out, then I personally would get it. Things like that. It's all up to you! ;D

I'll be thinking you two!!! Let us know how it goes. :)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 04:03:45 am »
Thumbs up! She will be ok!
I had participated at surgeries of both of my girls, and Grace was spayed just 3 weeks ago (or so, I even do not remember exactly now).

The recovery most depends on dog and what anesthesia they use.
In Grace's case she was a bit dull and sleepy for 24 hours after surgery. She was drinking water but womited a lot on the forst day. The next day we started to give her very small amounts of food, like 5 bits of kibble each time every second hour.
With my other girl Betty it was just few hours of sleepiness, no womiting and she had food just few hours after surgery like nothing. So it really depends how the dog is. betty's surgery went all wrong and she lost a lot of blood, Grace's surgery went fast and easy. Reactions were opposite.

Instead of e-collar we just dress up the t-shirt opposite down, and tie it to the collar (back legs through the sleeves, and tail through the head hole :D

Teach her to show her tummy so you can keep an eye on the scar. On first day a drop of blood is ok, but not on the second day or later. If all goes ok, no need to put any stuff on it - dogs actually heel better if no medications are covering the scar. If it's seems to get gangy, ASAP to vet.

If your girl is bouncy, short lead for potty breaks only - not any off lead potty breaks at all for 10 days until stiches will be removed. Large dogs can be so silly and stiches will be ripped off... Not a pleasant thing, really! So keep her on lead outside and try to keep her calm inside the house too (it is the hardest bit for us as Grace just wanted to go bonkers again every 10 minutes).

After ten days or so (watch how the stiches look) they must be removed. I was overprotective and removed 2 stiches (both ends, from outside to inside the scar) a day (I do it by myself, it is easy, Grace did not felt it at all).

The time to remove stiches is when they are going pink and swollen a bit.
if one stich is lose (it happens sometimes) but scar looks ok, no worries. Only serious rule here is - on lead all the time when walking, no sport activities like running, jumping, playing with balls, with oter dogs and so on. Keep her calm, and maybe really insted of e-collar which is really uncomfortable, use the t-shirt - my dogs accept it really easy, they just thinks that mummy is getting a bit OTT or had watched paris Hilton on TV too much :)

Spaying in general is really easy thing. All will be OK!

http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 05:32:57 am »
Good luck Phoebe!!! We will be thinking of you  :-* :-* :-*
Sorry I can't give you any advise on spaying. Lily is microchipped for the following reason...if she gets stolen or lost and new owners or shelter will take her to the vet my info would show up or at least I hope it will  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 05:45:05 am »
Wow, how time flies!  It's hard to believe that little Phoebe has gotten so big already!    

IMO, microchipping is fast & very easy on the dog and so worthwhile!  All mine have been m/c-ed and I personally I will always m/c my pups.  It's all too easy for them to get away for just a second and then they run like the wind.  If she hasn't tried it yet, she may surprise you one day.  You may have read my post about the time that Halley pushed past me out the RV door and ran for 1/2 mile before my hubby was able to catch her (on foot!!!).  I was holding the door like an inch open while my hubby told me something and she ripped past us just that fast and was GONE in a microsecond.  It still makes my heart pound when I think of it.  It can happen & Pyr's are notorious for sprinting off & not coming back on a recall.  Also, if your dog is ever stolen, collars & tags can be removed, but the m/c will prove that she is your dog.  Cheap insurance in my book.   ;)  :)

About spaying, I'd hope by now that all vets would send spayed females home w/pain meds, but they didn't with Daisy 8 years ago.  Hubby picked her up from our ex-vet @ 5pm on a Friday & the vet was adament that she would be fine w/o meds.  Grrrrrrrr!!!  By the time he got home w/Daisy, the vet was closed.  Sure enough, early Sat morning she was whining & miserable and I was mad as heck at the vet.  We got her pain meds fast but I was upset that she had to be in that much pain before he agreed that it was necessary.  After she got the meds she seemed fine and she healed up nicely.  I just can't imagine a human dr sending a woman home after a hysterectomy w/o any pain relief, so I always make sure that my pups are sent home with something to keep them comfortable, too.  I'm sure that some dogs probably have an easier time of it than Daisy did, but I think that it's better to have the meds at least on hand in case they are needed.   ;)  Personally, I give them the pain meds for the first day or two and then watch them closely to see if it's needed past that point (often it isn't).

I'm sure that Phoebe will do great and she'll love all the special TLC that she'll be getting post-op.  Give her a gentle hug for me, please.  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 07:01:33 am »
I'll be thinking of Phoebe (& you too). Just be sure that the Vet understands that they must be careful with the anesthesia and give "only to effect" with Pyrs. Make sure they get an accurate weight on her first.

I also swear by MCs with my guys.  :)

Hugs to your Girl!  :-* I know she'll be getting extra TLC when she comes home & we'll all be looking for updates. Take it easy & don't worry. (too much anyway) She'll be back to herself in no time.

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 08:45:51 am »
Yes to the microchip!  Phoebe will be good...especia lly with the drug aftermath...sh e will be happy as can be!  :D
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 10:20:40 am »
Awww. Miss Phoebe will be just fine. Miles got neutered the beginning of january and it went very well. I think the hardest part was keeping him relatively calm for two weeks. Especially since we could only go on short walks, and had to limit all physical activity. We did alot of mental stimulation, like working on commands. Miles did not have dissolvable sutures, so we did have to return to the vet for removal, and I just could not wait!

The vet also suggested I make Miles wear his e-collar for the WHOLE 14 days, and I blew that off after day 2. It really wasn't necessary. He didn't mess with the incision much at all. I made him wear it the first week when I wasn't home to supervise or at night, then the second week, I let him go without it whether supervised or not. I think the thing was just as annoying for me as it was for him.

As far as microchipping goes, I think it's a personal decision. I personally did not get the microchip. If Phoebe is outside alot unsupervised, whether in a fenced in area or not, I would probably get it. If she tries to sneak out the front door alot when you open it or you have small children that may accidentally let her out, then I personally would get it. Things like that. It's all up to you! ;D

I'll be thinking you two!!! Let us know how it goes. :)
I agree with everything you have said except for the microchip i think it is very important anything could happen it could be vital in the return of your pup! Marina ;D ;D ;D ;D
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

marypyrs

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 04:52:05 am »
Just checking in and looking for an update on your Baby Girl. I know it's quite early yet today, but I have you on my mind. I think it's always harder on us Mums.

:-* HUGS to Phoebe.  :-*

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 07:33:36 am »
Well we are home and settling in Phoebe did great she is a bit wobbly but not too much so that she could'nt clean up after the boys under the dinner table.  I did end up getting her chipped it will be a extra piece of mind, she wears a collar with tags, 24/7 but you never know.  We were at Target today and picked her up a new stuffed pink Piggy, she totally destroyed her other one, but she sure loved him, shes not too interested in him right now.  It will be a quiet night here.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:04:44 am by MollyGirl »
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline bianis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Awww sweetie pie!  she does look very tired... surgery is always exhausting. She looks so cute snuggling with the pink piggy. Hugs and kisses for Phoebe, may she recover soon!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I'm so sorry I missed this thread!  I'm really happy that Phoebe is doing well after surgery, and she does look so cute snuggling with the pink piggy (Naja loves her Pink Piggy too.  :))  Rest up Phoebe Hunny, you'll be feeling better in no time!  :-* :-* :-* :-*
My Sponsership page for my very first race!