Poll

If you owned more than one Great Pyrenees in your opinion is it easier to obedience train males or females?

Females
0 (0%)
Males
1 (10%)
It all depends on individual dog
8 (80%)
Both impossible
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Training Great Pyrenees  (Read 12752 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Training Great Pyrenees
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:13:11 pm »
This should be interesting!!!  ;)

Comments are very welcome  ;D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:20:24 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Training Great Pyrenees
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 11:10:54 pm »
I cant vote being I only have a male never experienced a female,but anxious to see what people say.

I can only add..I know the mom pyr of my pup and the dad,the dad pyr was alot more managable then mom..but two different owners so not sure if it was a male vs female thing or just two different owners treating them two different ways.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 11:50:37 pm »
Hmmm.  That's an interesting question and I'm looking forward to seeing the results.  I too can't really answer because I only have a female Pyr, but I'd like to add a male Pyr to the mix someday.  :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 12:28:11 am »

I did vote that it is an individual thing. I must add that with time, patience, love and dedication, most humans can be 'trained' by their Pyrs. Be they male or female.  ;) 

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 01:14:06 am »
I've never tried to train a female pyr, but I have to say Jake has done a really good job of training me, so maybe male pyrs are better at doing the training?  Seriously, the only way I have found to teach Jake anything is to find what he most wants at that particular moment as this changes constantly.  Sometimes, petting and love will do, sometimes, it has to be food, sometimes, it is something like he really wants to go for a walk and knows he can only go after he sits to have his leash put on.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 01:38:34 am »

I did vote that it is an individual thing. I must add that with time, patience, love and dedication, most humans can be 'trained' by their Pyrs. Be they male or female.  ;) 
I too think that Pyrs are the best at human training  ;D
Mary W. Crane

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 02:03:44 am »
I have spoken at lunch time with Tim B. with South Mountain Great Pyrenees(mom has bought a pup from him and she needed for me to ask him some things for her)He has a web site.
I asked him about male vs female which one was easier to train...he says it depends on the dog,neither in his opinion,he says the females or atleast his are smaller in size 125 pounds verses his males at 180 pounds so the females in size respect would be more easy to handle due to size..I know thats not the question asked..but just thought I would share his info ;D
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 02:15:33 am »
I have spoken at lunch time with Tim B. with South Mountain Great Pyrenees(mom has bought a pup from him and she needed for me to ask him some things for her)He has a web site.
I asked him about male vs female which one was easier to train...he says it depends on the dog,neither in his opinion,he says the females or atleast his are smaller in size 125 pounds verses his males at 180 pounds so the females in size respect would be more easy to handle due to size..I know thats not the question asked..but just thought I would share his info ;D
I don't think the size would matter with Pyrs...they don't respond to physical corrections whether they 80 or 180lbs (where is the world he found those BIG dogs ???).
I think that the issue is "whether they want to please you or not" or "whether they will work for food, toys or praise" as most of them not food or toys motivated. I know some pyrs would spit out treats during obedience class and other dogs go around and pick it up :D ;)
Mary W. Crane

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 02:25:29 am »

Perfectly put, Jane!!!  LOL  I've also found that it is very individual (for the dogs & their pet humans alike).   ;)  :D  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 02:41:27 am »
All of my Guys throughout the years have been of the "treat spitting out" kind no matter how, when, or what. It's been quite obvious that unless and until you can point out and prove to them that YOU know what you're doing and it's to "our" betterment it's all in vain. "Training" or being "trained" by a Pyr is a labor of love all the way around. I would not trade it for the World. To once love and be loved my these marvelous creatures is a blessing beyound words or reason. It's been a mutual love and respect thing all the way around and these big bears can walk easily into a Nursing Home or Children's Hospital with nothing but a slip lead on. They know their purpose. But the socialization has taken time and gentle patience.

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 03:01:55 am »
I don't think the size would matter with Pyrs...they don't respond to physical corrections whether they 80 or 180lbs (where is the world he found those BIG dogs ???).
I think that the issue is "whether they want to please you or not" or "whether they will work for food, toys or praise" as most of them not food or toys motivated. I know some pyrs would spit out treats during obedience class and other dogs go around and pick it up :D ;)

I know size has nothing to do with it in training,I was just shareing info.If you go to his web you can see his pups most of them grown,Fabio weighs in at 204 pounds! the girl that owns him lives near me,we are going to visit with her and see fabio.Most of his dogs are huge! his smallest weighs 120 pounds!
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:04:38 am »
This is a very interesting question. I did not participate in the survey, as I have only owned one pyr, my one and only Miles. It's funny that this question came up because today at the dog park, this one woman commented on how well trained Miles is, and how there have been other pyrs at the dog park that do not listen at all, and need to be on a leash because they will wander. When this woman said that to me, I was like oh my GOSH. A PYR. Well Trained? hahaha He always makes himself seem so well behaved at the dog park ;D

Miles will always stay within site of me at the dog park. And when I tell him to come, he does....most of the time. I got to thinking about it....and I think he listens more at the dog park than at home. It's like, since he's not on a leash, he feels more independent, and when I tell him to "come on" and start walking the other way, it doesn't sound like such a command, or demand, so he'll do it. hahaha
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 03:07:04 am »
All of my Guys throughout the years have been of the "treat spitting out" kind no matter how, when, or what. It's been quite obvious that unless and until you can point out and prove to them that YOU know what you're doing and it's to "our" betterment it's all in vain. "Training" or being "trained" by a Pyr is a labor of love all the way around. I would not trade it for the World. To once love and be loved my these marvelous creatures is a blessing beyound words or reason. It's been a mutual love and respect thing all the way around and these big bears can walk easily into a Nursing Home or Children's Hospital with nothing but a slip lead on. They know their purpose. But the socialization has taken time and gentle patience.

So well said! Great explanation.
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 04:55:49 am »
I don't think the size would matter with Pyrs...they don't respond to physical corrections whether they 80 or 180lbs
I have to correct my statement...th ey do respond to a physical correction by "shutting down and not listening at all"!
Mary W. Crane

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 04:56:55 am »
What a wonderful experience, I can only hope that Buddy and I will have that type of relationship.