Poll

If you owned more than one Great Pyrenees in your opinion is it easier to obedience train males or females?

Females
0 (0%)
Males
1 (10%)
It all depends on individual dog
8 (80%)
Both impossible
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Training Great Pyrenees  (Read 12722 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Training Great Pyrenees
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 05:12:42 am »
If you go to his web you can see his pups most of them grown,Fabio weighs in at 204 pounds! the girl that owns him lives near me,we are going to visit with her and see fabio.Most of his dogs are huge! his smallest weighs 120 pounds!

IMHO, those people should stop breeding...per iod  :-X
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 05:37:21 am »
If you go to his web you can see his pups most of them grown,Fabio weighs in at 204 pounds! the girl that owns him lives near me,we are going to visit with her and see fabio.Most of his dogs are huge! his smallest weighs 120 pounds!

I have to agree.  Here is the Great Pyrenees Club of America breed standard:

www.clubs.akc. org/gpca/gstandrd.html

Bigger is not always better.  It's not just a cosmetic issue either, bones, joints, etc. all have to be able to support that kind of size.   :(
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 12:06:12 am »
Cirra is our first Pyr and so do not raised another Pyr to compare her with.  WOW - have we learned a lot!!!    I would think that the abiity to "train" a Pyr would would depend on the dog more than being male or female.  There are so many factors involved in training.  In many ways Cirra was very easy to train - potty training for example.  Getting her to come inside from the snow - well, not so easy. Cirra is a very strong willed gal and that has made her quite a challenge.  She is very smart and learns quickly.  Male, female or Pyr traits???

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 12:25:45 am »

I hope they dont,I want one from him in time to come ;D
Fabio is the only pup offspring that has gotten that big,She said that fabio was the largest pyr known so far..so not the norm in his breeding program.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 12:26:26 am by GreatPyr »
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 12:29:58 am »
I have also noticed that the pyrs that are breed for actually working as a LGD get bigger then the ones bred to show.The ones bred from show lines tend to be smaller and less of a coat...pyrs bred from working stock seem larger,thicker coats.Bear is from LGD stock.Which the Pyr code of ethics states that the two shall not be seperated or classified as LGD or for show.But they are.
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 12:32:45 am »
I don't think the size would matter with Pyrs...they don't respond to physical corrections whether they 80 or 180lbs
I have to correct my statement...th ey do respond to a physical correction by "shutting down and not listening at all"!

MMMM....I have not had this problem so far,Bear is very smart,easy to do whats asked of him and learns after 1 time...maybe it is a male vs female thingy then after all ;D
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 12:39:37 am »

Bigger is not always better.  It's not just a cosmetic issue either, bones, joints, etc. all have to be able to support that kind of size.   :(

If you will go back before the AKC standard was adopted the Pyrs weighed alot more then that,there size has been downsized over time,The original pyr stock where much heavier bones and bigger,now breeders try to get them to the AKC standards of course BUT there are still the original sized pyrs out there excedding Akc standard,normally they are found in the actual working stock instead of show stock,of course show stock would not exceed AKC standards or atleast try and not to.
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 02:34:21 am »

If you will go back before the AKC standard was adopted the Pyrs weighed alot more then that,there size has been downsized over time,The original pyr stock where much heavier bones and bigger,now breeders try to get them to the AKC standards of course BUT there are still the original sized pyrs out there excedding Akc standard,normally they are found in the actual working stock instead of show stock,of course show stock would not exceed AKC standards or atleast try and not to.

The original breed standard from Feb 1935 had stated that
dogs run 100 to 125 and bitches 90-115 lbs which is far away from 170!!!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:36:00 am by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 03:24:35 am »

The original breed standard from Feb 1935 had stated that
dogs run 100 to 125 and bitches 90-115 lbs which is far away from 170!!!

Most of the working lines are larger in size in bigger boned,stockier then your pyr bred for show.Most any related pic will show this,the show bred pyrs are further away looking from the original pyrs then your working lines.The working lines do seem to be heavier in weight and coat.I have seen some pyrs that look more like a samoyed then a pyr,if you look back at the really old pics of the Pyrs they do not look like most of the ones bred for show.Both Gorgeous nonthe less ;D
Sometimes the AKC likes to take foreign breeds and change there names and size to suite,we like  to twist them into what we want in the AKC called"Bettering the Breed"...not original, but AKC.I have a friend that works for AKC in Raleigh,NC so I am safe in saying that ;) give me UKC and CKC anyday.

Sorry..went off on an unrelated tangant..hubby gets onto me all the time for it ::)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:51:27 am by GreatPyr »
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2008, 04:06:37 am »
Ideally, show Pyrs SHOULD look like working dogs but clean. That is why there is a standard according to which a show dog should posses all the qualities necessary to serve its purpose...to be a working dog in the mountains. By saying that working dogs should look totally different from show dogs you are pretty much putting all the hard work Great Pyrenees people put into preserving the breed into a garbage can.

That is exactly why selective and caring breeding is so important. You get what you pay for...but you don't mind I see  :-X
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 04:25:43 am by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 05:04:30 am »
It's interesting that the fact that a pyr will just "shut down" was mentioned.  I think this is a trait of a lot of large dog breeds.  All of mine will do it if I repeat things with them, like sitting more than twice in a row, trying to get them to sit, when I stop walking, etc.  Jake will do it if he feels that something you want is stupid or just doesn't care. He can be sitting right in front of you but becomes totally deaf and won't even look at you.  Max was described by our trainer as being an ADHD dog.  He just shut down on her.  He laid down and stayed there, wouldn't move.  Done.  Cody does it as well, when the mood strikes him.  They will respond to me if speak normally, and continually change up what we are doing, but if I raise my voice for anything other than calling them to me, or saying no, they won't even look at me. I just cease to exist in their world. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 07:31:11 am »
Ideally, show Pyrs SHOULD look like working dogs but clean. That is why there is a standard according to which a show dog should posses all the qualities necessary to serve its purpose...to be a working dog in the mountains. By saying that working dogs should look totally different from show dogs you are pretty much putting all the hard work Great Pyrenees people put into preserving the breed into a garbage can.

That is exactly why selective and caring breeding is so important. You get what you pay for...but you don't mind I see  :-X

I think you missed my point ::)thats not quit what I meant,AKC has changed the original look/build of the breed as they do many.

Oh well...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 07:33:10 am by GreatPyr »
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 07:39:35 pm »
He always makes himself seem so well behaved at the dog park ;D

First of all I have to tell you that I am just in love with Miles. He is such an adorable fellow!!! post more pics! I love his face!!
I laughed at your comment above because I have this challenge with Marley. At obedience class he is a star.. does everything to perfection... ha ha THEN we leave and it is all out the window! they truely are rediculously intelligent!
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 03:35:14 pm »
He always makes himself seem so well behaved at the dog park ;D

First of all I have to tell you that I am just in love with Miles. He is such an adorable fellow!!! post more pics! I love his face!!
I laughed at your comment above because I have this challenge with Marley. At obedience class he is a star.. does everything to perfection... ha ha THEN we leave and it is all out the window! they truely are rediculously intelligent!

I have the same issue with Naja, she is at the top of her game in Obedience class, but as soon as we're somewhere like the dog park to practice the things we learned she completely ignores me, no matter how tasty the treat that I have to temp her tastbuds with. (haha, I love alliteration.. .Sorry  ::) ;))  I can be on the exact same level as her, my face inches from where I want her face to be, and it's as though my "Watch Me" command is in Swahili!  However I should mention that as soon as I get her attention, she is really good at following whatever commands I give.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 05:49:59 pm »
This topic is making me think a lot about training with Jenny. We are getting ready for our obedience class and it sounds like it will be a very different experience for me with her than with Tipper. Tipper is a Golden/Sheltie mix and lives to please, is very treat motivated, and too smart for his own good. He's done a ton of obedience, agility, and the CGC class.

Jenny does love treats, so I'm hoping she will be motivated to work for treats and I know that she's smart, she's caught on to stuff very quickly, but it sounds like Pyrs have their own opinions about whether or not they want to do what is asked of them.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 05:50:59 pm by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven