Author Topic: Great Pyr and chewing and mischief  (Read 7811 times)

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Great Pyr and chewing and mischief
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:42:29 pm »
I have a question about Great Pyrs and clothes lines.  I thought of this last night right before bed.  Do you think I can safely hang clothes out and leave them for any lenght of time with out Buddy tearing them off the line?  I know that he currently has chewed up garden hoses and anything left in the yard, so I would assume that the clothesline wouldn't be safe either. 

I also wonder if this behavior subsides with time or if it is a training issue.

Thanks

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Great Pyr and chewing and mischief
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:57:30 pm »
My two will chew up just about anything left in the yard.  We've also lost a few garden hoses to their overactive chompers!  And don't let me get started on the digging problems!  That's why we decided to make our boys indoor dogs for most of the day and night.  Now they're only allowed in the yard with supervision!  Especially since we landscaped and layed new sod in the back yard.   ;D  If we can't monitor them, and we don't want them in the house, they go in their 10'X10' kennel for short periods of time.  It's worked out great for us! 

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 11:10:15 pm »
I know that any time we leave Kana unsupervised in the yard and he is bored (which is often) he is prone to mischief.  We have lost many garden hoses, coolers, potted plants, plastic bottles, our SCREENED IN PORCH you name it...
I think supervision is great, but also providing enough stimulating doggie toys will help. We have Kana-proofed our yard and garage and supplied it with many toys for him and we peek out there sometimes and he is having a blast with his 'approved' toys. 
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:11:55 pm »
Haha!!! My pups are 'pretty good' when it comes to the cloths line. Whisper young & can still be a bit of a pistol though.  :-\ So I always keep a good eye on him.

A few years ago I had bedding hanging out. I had also let the horses out of the pasture and into the yard as I do on occasion. I heard a ruckus and glanced out to see a huge flash of bright pink flying up the hill to the edge of the woods. Montana, the Appy, had my lovely bright pink sheet in his mouth and was h*ll Bent for Leather with his prize!  :o

Then there's "Bugsy"! (NSH) Nothing is safe from Bugs!  ::)

My Pups LOVE to play with and drag around those huge rope toys & the huge wobbly balls.  :)

I think you're going to have some fun times ahead. Be sure to carry your camera at all time!  ;)  ;D  ;)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:12:41 pm »
If he chewed up a garden hose I would say that clothes lines are unsafe :)

When Lily was a pup she didn't touch a thing in the house but she did chew an extension cord in half 3 times and the corners of patio chairs and all the boxes we left outside.
She doesn dig though!!!
All we had to do is to take EVERYTHING form the backyard and only leave her with chews.  :) Now she doesn't touch anything but boxes which is OK...I need help shredding those anyways  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:28:37 pm »
I'm not remembering how old Buddy is...it seems like if he is young then chewing is part of a young dog's life and giving him approved things to chew is important. If he is older, it could be a sign of boredom and it would also be important to give him approved toys, maybe some that are more mentally challenging.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 12:39:57 am »
Phoebe is the queen of mischief and chewing, it will be interesting this spring once the snow clears and the plants start to green up how many plants and shrubs have actually survied Phoebes jaws.  She has goine thru extension cords this winter from the Christmas decorations and she even started knawing on the cedar pillars on the porch.  Her favorite thing to destroy is shoes especially flip flops and Crocs.  I have found the only toys she can have are the really big thick knotted ropes which she eventually knaws thru those too but they do last longer than stuffed toys.......She is not really on my hubbys list of favorite dogs right now he really hates losing money on her antics.  I try to keep alot of her messes under wraps.  I have used the really hard marrow bones and stuff them with peanut butter and kong toys she has no problem cleaning them out in a matter of minutes.
I would say no to the clothes line maybe give him a trial run and hang old towels or rags and see what he does.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 12:50:46 am »
I'm not remembering how old Buddy is...it seems like if he is young then chewing is part of a young dog's life and giving him approved things to chew is important. If he is older, it could be a sign of boredom and it would also be important to give him approved toys, maybe some that are more mentally challenging.

/quote]
Buddy will be 3 years old in April

marypyrs

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:54:25 am »
I took a suggestion from Patricia McConnell a while back and put in a 'dog digging area' in the yard. It's over out of the way under pine trees and they love it. I had some sand brought in & mixed up with the soil & did the intro thing with them. It's saved the yard & yet they have a blast. They can dig to their hearts content. Bury bones. Dig to cool off. And the rest of it doesn't look like a blasting area.

At 3 yrs old Buddy is just coming into adulthood.  :)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:59:05 am »
I took a suggestion from Patricia McConnell a while back and put in a 'dog digging area' in the yard. It's over out of the way under pine trees and they love it. I had some sand brought in & mixed up with the soil & did the intro thing with them. It's saved the yard & yet they have a blast. They can dig to their hearts content. Bury bones. Dig to cool off. And the rest of it doesn't look like a blasting area.

At 3 yrs old Buddy is just coming into adulthood.  :)
We have a large sandbox for the kids in the backyard and currently we have it covered to keep her out of it but she just loves to dig in there.  We decided this spring to just let her have at it to keep the yard safe.  It was a hassle to keep her out of it last summer and fall, not to meantion the dirt she would drag into the house.  Shes such a sassy girl.
Becky

marypyrs

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 01:13:41 am »
Aw! That's cute! Phoebe's going to have her very own sand box now! 

How's Baby Girl feeling today? Still a little sleepy? Hope she's comfortable.  :-*

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 03:10:30 am »
Aw! That's cute! Phoebe's going to have her very own sand box now! 

How's Baby Girl feeling today? Still a little sleepy? Hope she's comfortable.  :-*
She is doing well today sleeping alot.  She was up most of the night crying.  Poor Baby, which means I got no sleep.
Becky

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 03:37:20 am »
I am glad that your girl is doing okay after being spayed.  She looks like such a pretty girl. 

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 03:59:59 am »
Since clotheslines pose such a great danger for strangulation, I always train our dogs to leave them alone before they get left alone with them.  Some dogs have a really hard time resisting anything that moves.  Zita took months before she was safe with laundry, but Wally never bothered it.

I also have decoy hoses, extension cords, and furniture.  The dented pie plate collection works great when training dogs to stay off the kitchen counters.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 04:28:19 am »
Since clotheslines pose such a great danger for strangulation, I always train our dogs to leave them alone before they get left alone with them.  Some dogs have a really hard time resisting anything that moves.  Zita took months before she was safe with laundry, but Wally never bothered it.

Buddy and Dolly have never been exposed to a clothesline, and I know that what little time I have spent around buddy that he is very curious.  It could be that I am making mountains out of mole hills, but it never hurts to be cautious.