Author Topic: How much food at 2years  (Read 6254 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
How much food at 2years
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:13:49 am »
Just curious.. I know all dogs are different in activity, size etc.. but in general terms, how much food in cups does the average 2 year old pyr usually eat? We feed Marley good quality food and every time I take him to the groomers this self proclamed "large breed expert" says.. "are you feeding him? he is so skinny" I think Marley seems fit and don't know if she is just used to seeing overweight dogs  ;D or perhaps is she right?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How much food at 2years
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:29:15 am »
How much does Marley weigh & what does your vet say?  If you can feel a little fat & muscle over his ribs that's a good sign.  Also, remember that a lot of 2 y/o pyrs are lean and it's better to be a little lean at that age than a little plush.  He won't finish filling out for another year or so.  For whatever it's worth, Cassie is probably 3/4 Pyr (1/4 is ?) and she'll be 3 y/o in May.  She weighs 88 lbs and she eats 3 to 3 1/2 C./day Innova Adult.

Modified to add:  *If* you think that he's eating plenty and really is too thin, then you might want to take a fecal sample into your vet to check for worms, just in case.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 06:32:20 am by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:34:43 am »
Uh Oh only 3 1/2 cups.  My mom put a crock from a crock pot out one for Buddy and one for Dollie because they would fight over food, so I am sure they are being way over fed. Dollie (Lab) is defintely over weight, but Buddy looks pretty good, but since he will be 3 in April I was wondering if he will fill out any more then he already is.   

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:48:48 am »
Uh Oh only 3 1/2 cups.  My mom put a crock from a crock pot out one for Buddy and one for Dollie because they would fight over food, so I am sure they are being way over fed. Dollie (Lab) is defintely over weight, but Buddy looks pretty good, but since he will be 3 in April I was wondering if he will fill out any more then he already is.   

Bev, it really depends upon the kind of food & the activity level of the dog, so I wouldn't necessarily worry if Buddy's weight seems right.  Once you have him at home with you, you may want to take him for a little drive to the vet to step on the scale.  This is also a good way to make him more comfortable with vet visits, especially if everyone pets him & he gets lots of treats.   ;)  ;D  Anyway, if his weight seems in line with other pyrs of his height & gender, and his ribs feel fine to you & the vet, then I wouldn't be concerned.  It may be that he's just been eating a food that has a lot more filler in it, so he's needed more of it to be adequately fed.  That's one of the many benefits of Innova, it takes less food to feed them and thus they make less poop!   ;)  :)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 06:52:42 am »
Bev, it really depends upon the kind of food & the activity level of the dog, so I wouldn't necessarily worry if Buddy's weight seems right.  Once you have him at home with you, you may want to take him for a little drive to the vet to step on the scale.  This is also a good way to make him more comfortable with vet visits, especially if everyone pets him & he gets lots of treats.   ;)  ;D  Anyway, if his weight seems in line with other pyrs of his height & gender, and his ribs feel fine to you & the vet, then I wouldn't be concerned.  It may be that he's just been eating a food that has a lot more filler in it, so he's needed more of it to be adequately fed.  That's one of the many benefits of Innova, it takes less food to feed them and thus they make less poop!   ;)  :)
[/quote]

What is Innova?

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:54:54 am »
I think that the food maybe really bad, because it is a mixture of old Roy for large dogs which I know is terrible and then the Kibble and bits for large dogs. 

I am sure Mom used those because of the expense to feed them.  but I want to take care of them correctly and I think a better food would be a great start.  also when you change food don't you do it gradually by mixing them and gradually phasing out the old food or is that a misconception.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:02:11 am »
Innova is a high quality dog food.  Jake, my pyr will be 2 next month.  He weighs around 100lbs.  When I was feeding Innove Evo, he was eating 6 - 8 cups a day, plus 1/4 c pureed chicken and 1/2 c brown rice.  He still needs to gain weight in my opinion.  He is just very active, running, jumping and playing with Max for a good 3 - 4 hours a day.  Now that they are on raw, he will only eat about 2-2.5 lbs a day.  If you are changing from one dry food to another, yes, you do it gradually over a period of a week or more.  To go from dry to raw, you simply stop feeding dry and start feeding raw.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 09:27:08 am »
Jenny is 99lbs. and eats 3.5-4 cups a day. She is around 2-3 yrs old.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:27:32 am by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 07:29:50 pm »
How much does Marley weigh & what does your vet say?  If you can feel a little fat & muscle over his ribs that's a good sign. 

His last vet check was last year - next one in June.. he weighs about 100lbs and is eating about 5-7 cups of Nutro food daily plus treats. Will his thick coat (he is outside all the time) it is hard to guage how much fat if any is over his ribs. I guess I will ask the vet in June if he hasn't put on much weight.
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 07:35:01 pm »
If Marley spends his time outside in cold conditions he will need to eat more than a Pyr who lives inside. So while 5-7 cups might look like a lot compared to some of the other responses, it's important to take into consideration that he is an outside dog and as such, needs more calories.  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 11:41:42 am »
The level of exercise your dog has or is getting, plays a big part in feeding requirements as well.  Since it has been cooler here for the last few months, we have been getting out more and longer.  Jake and I, since he is my "never runs out of steam" dog, have been jogging a couple of miles and walking another 3-4 almost every day.  Max hangs in for the jogging, but peters out pretty quickly.  Cody walks a few blocks and his hip bothers him.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 11:41:13 am »
We walk 3 to 4 miles per day and Jack is an indoor dog who is 14 months old and weighs 110.  He is in the process of switching from California Natural to Innova EVO right now so he's tranistioning but he was getting 4 cups a day plus 1/2 a can of EVO and will probabl end up closer to 3 cups per day plus the canned once we make the switch to all EVO, which is more nutrient packed with no fillers, so they require less food.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 10:54:11 pm »
Jazmine my dane is 128 pounds and eats only 2 cups of food a day...Titan eats about 7 pounds of food a day. = approx. 9-10 cups of food a day (?) Maya the belgian who weighs approx. 50 pounds eats about 4-8 cups a day (super highly active) (her past owners ran her 14 miles a day and only fed her 2 cups a day.  It seems that she is maintaining her weight with this amount of food

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 11:29:31 pm »
The side of the food packaging that you feed your dog should have a good indicator.
But it kinda depends on your dogs activity level
Arkyd Weighs 140lbish has 6 cups a day but he comes to work with me and plays with a yella lab all day
Chav weighs 85lbs and has four cups a day if he came to work with me (he cant cuz he's a pain in the but) he probably get a bit more
Porter gets 6 cups a day but that is directed by the vet cuz when we rescued him he was really under weight