Author Topic: stinky ears  (Read 3626 times)

Offline suzyc

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
stinky ears
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:11:37 am »
I rescues this pup I think he is a pointer/setter mix.  His ears smell really strong.  I asked the vet and there is no infection.  He just has a lot of wax all the time even though I clean them.  And he shakes his head when some gets dislodged.  He requires bathing more than the other dogs. I have a lab sheperd mix and I had a border collie newf mix. Yes as you can see he is spoiled. He steals the pillow when you get up in the middle of the night and stinks it up ;D.  We love him to death he is such a goof. Anyone else have this issue?
Tara 14 yr old lab sheperd mix
Memphis 2 yr old setter mix

California

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: stinky ears
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 08:17:51 am »
My friend used to bring his black lab to work and each morning he used to 'wipe' his ears out with these little pads.  Even when there was no infection it was very SMELLY! :P
BUT, I do know that if he didn't clean them every day then in no time the build-up would settle in and cause that ever dreaded infection!  Yuck-o!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:12:34 am »
yeast infection, ear mites.  Even if its not, if their ears smell that bad its going to be a breeding ground for infection, so keep them clean anyway!!!  I go to pet co and buy the cheep stuff that you put in and leave in once a week, it helps with my Pyr (always gets yeast infections, poor guy  :().

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:16:01 am »
I use a little bit of alcohol on a cotton ball to clean Rosie's ears. It helps dry out her ears and also has a nice, sterile smell to it afterwards.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 10:39:37 am »
The pics look like there might be some springer spaniel in there somewhere.  What a little cutie.  I used to use alcohol on my springers ears, but found they got too irritated from it, as it was too strong for them.  I started using a mixture of 1/2 witch hazel and 1/2 water.  It still dries them out, but is not as harsh. The big thing is to stay on top of keeping the ears clean as possible. A lot of times with problem ears, you will find that it is caused by a food allergy.  Jake had constant yeast infections for months.  We tried everything and are now hoping that the raw diet will help eliminate it.  So far so good.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:55:38 pm »
If the vet says they are clear of infection then I would clean them out good with a product such as Oticalm then after they are dry I would use a drying powder containing boric acid several times a week.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 08:03:57 pm »
Get that cutie pie pillow thief his own pillow, one with a protective cover and his own set of pillowcases. 

How big is the pup?  For a second he looked a bit Newfie.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 01:53:35 am »
If its been checked by the vet and no infection or mites.etc..the n I would look at his diet,could be allergy related.I would wipe the ears with alcohol,cant hurt.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse