Author Topic: help with anger  (Read 2374 times)

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
help with anger
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:26:55 pm »
hi everyone, I have been checking out the site now for a week or so and it seems like a great place to get some thoughts for Brooklily. first our problem, then some backround info if that will help.  Brooklily is furious and aggressive towards unknown dogs when she is on her leash. off leash playing in yards or parks she is happy and playful.  If she knows the dog we can walk with them no problem, but if we pass another dog she doesnt know , across the street, on a trail,even in a store she is like a different animal.There isnt even a warning , no stiffening or growling , just right to it. Teeth bared into attack mode. The other day a dog barked at us from the car and she lunged so hard she pulled me over. blood ripped pants , the whole deal. I hate to perpertrate the whole negative bully breed crap. This is a loving fun dog, just not on a leash with unknowns. Brooklily did have a rough beginning, she was kept in a cellar for first 6 months of her life,I dont know if this could be part of the problem.She gets ample exersize,love and is quite smart. She is some type of english bulldog mix.She is the love of my life and I want her and the dogs around her to be safe. thanks for your help and ideas    Brooklilys mum
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: help with anger
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 08:02:22 pm »
What shes doing is often called on leash aggression.
Here are some links that may be able to help you.

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/onldagg.html

http://www.4pawsu.com/onleashaggression.htm

http://www.sfspca.org/behavior/aggression.shtml#7

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:37:23 pm »
It sounds like being locked in the cellar for 6 months without interaction and sociallization(sp?)is more then likely the cause.I think maybe just slowly intergrating her back into society and accepting other dogs,situations.it may be a long process in helping work this out of her and she may never be at 100%,may be mental scares that can heal but do not go away.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 08:03:32 am »
Welcome to BPO.  People here rock.  :)

Ditto that this is most likely not an aggression issue.  The links got bookmarked, tyvm. 

When trying to learn to relax on purpose, there are three things to think about: breathing, heart rate, and leash tension.  Keep some slack in the leash at all times unless making a correction.  Tight leash means a tense owner. 

The other two can be worked on if you know someone who has access to a small piece of medical equipment called a "pulse ox" which measures heart rate and how well someone ix oxygenating their blood.  Dogs can hear us breathe and most can hear a heartbeat.  Slow those both down and the dog senses you as relaxed and then they can be relaxed. 
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua