Author Topic: Lucca the Saint pup is coming home -checklist and suggestions (?) plus pics :D  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
The longest week ever has officially begun. Lucca, the gorgeous saint bernard pup, is coming home Friday evening. The breeders are coming to Denver, and decided to use the trip to deliver him as well. I thought he would be on the young side (at 6 weeks), but they assure me their vet said it was fine... I'm still a little worried... Do you think he'll need supplements or something like that?
Well, here's a list of things I have either done or am in the process of doing -or will be doing in the immediate future -as soon as it stops snowing and I can get out :)

*get food -CHECK! -stored and ready to go
*beds -at least 2, one for crate and one for living room
*crate -brother bringing it today :)
*food/water bowls
*collar, leash, harness, tags
*treats -age/size appropriate
*toys
*mild shampoo
*brush and furminator!
*make appointment with the vet for check-up as soon as possible!
*finish puppy-proofing my apt.

I think that is about it for now... any suggestions? what else could I be doing to make Lucca's coming home as ideal as possible? anything else I should be getting? He'll be delivered in the evening, so he might already be exhausted by the time he gets here. I plan on introducing him to frida outside and then bringing them inside, maybe after a little walk. Not that I think it will matter much, Frida is wonderful with other dogs and welcomes them home really easily, but just to make sure there are no issues from the beginning...
I will also be taking a week from work to spend 100% of the time with the dogs those 1st 10 days -and start socializing and training from day.. uh.. 2? (I thought I'd let him relax on day 1 -should I not?). After that, I get to come home from work once or twice during the day, every day for potty breaks and walks and stuff (I work close by). As soon as I feel I can, I'll be getting a dog walker (haven't needed one until now because Frida is wonderful :) and paper-trained just in case she can't hold it... I don't think I want to paper-train Lucca  :D)

that's my game plan. I think. I wanted to run it by other, more experienced BPOers just to double check myself and make sure I'm not forgetting something important... or maybe things I haven't even thought of... so any suggestions and input are greatly appreciated  :P

Sorry this is so long! but as promised, here are some puppy pictures of Lucca growing up (so far)! I might be biased, but I think he is just gorgeous!  :-*

-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
oh, I love the pictures!  You must be so excited!  When I was a child, we got a Beagle at 5 weeks old- I know, I know, big no-no_ but she really bonded incredibly with our family.  However, I would recommend meeting as many dogs as possible as Penny never quite realized that she was a dog and was rather fearful of other dogs.  Can't wait to see more pix!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Awe! Congratulation s!!! I wish I had bought stock in bounty when Rella was a puppy for those lake sized accidents.  ;D

Don't forget, not to much socialization before shots. No need to get sick to be friendly!

Good luck and have tons of fun! I just love my baby (even though of the 4 she is the biggest, lol)

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
Awe! Congratulation s!!! I wish I had bought stock in bounty when Rella was a puppy for those lake sized accidents.  ;D

Don't forget, not to much socialization before shots. No need to get sick to be friendly!

Good luck and have tons of fun! I just love my baby (even though of the 4 she is the biggest, lol)

oh good call on the paper towels! I should start buying them by the bulk! and yes, first thing Monday morning, I will be calling the vet to get an appointment as soon as possible. At least Lucca does come wormed and with at least the first puppy shots :D His dewclaws have also been removed -which I have never found necessary, but at least it means the litter has been to the vet more than once by now...
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)