Author Topic: Buddy and Dollie and a traumatic weekend  (Read 5103 times)

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Buddy and Dollie and a traumatic weekend
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:00:15 am »
Hello Everyone,

This last weekend was the finale of cleaning out Mom's house.  I wanted to place collars on both Buddy and Dollie so they could get used to them and then bring them home the following weekend where there would be nothing else to deal with but them.  They are 3 and 5 and have never had a collar of leash on.  I was vetoed by both of my brothers.  I was very angry at both of them because they tried to overpower Buddy and had him very scared.  Buddy is so senstive and didn'thave any idea what they wanted him to do.  The only time he has ever been in a car was to be neutered.  He is a very strong dog. They think that we should have put both dogs to sleep.  You have no idea how angry that makes me just because they think the dogs are an inconvenience. I can not tell you how much this hurts me for them to be so callas and making decisions regarding the dogs when they are not the ones that are even going to be training or caring for them.    They are in the backyard I did not want him to be in and it is going to be at least another week and a half before my new fence will be completed.  I just wanted the dogs moved once because I knew it was going to be traumatic.  I think that we are going to have to tranquilize them to move them to my backyard because it was awful.  I hope to have my pictures posted later this week.  I think Dollie and Buddy are truly beautiful soles and deserve better then what my brothers think.  The sooner they get to my house the better. 

Offline bianis

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Buddy and Dollie and a traumatic weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:57:34 pm »
Ugh... i hate it when people are cold toward animals like that. Good for Buddy and Dollie that they have you, and that you have your own house.
My dad suggested i give up my dog too. And in my case it's worse because I'm living in his house. See, my mom doesn't like dogs. My dad does, but as my mom doesn't, he takes her side a lot. Weird thing is, my dad is the one who found the puppy on the street and brought her home. I immediately volunteered to look after her, cause my dad was planning on giving her away. Months later he suggested i get rid of her because she didn't 'function' as a dog. Meaning that she never barks when strangers approach the house. I don't care. I think it's better that she doesn't bark, otherwise my mom would be all annoyed because of all the noise. To me it's weird that they can't see that my pup doesn't have to 'do' anything, she's my baby!!! :D
Good for me that my parents put up with me. They may not feel the same way i do, but once we talked, they haven't brought it up again.
Also, i get made fun of by my sister. She tells me i need to have a baby or get a life, because i take 'too much' care of my dog. Those are the people that just have a dog to look pretty in the yard. They just go out to give them water and food and that's it.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 02:29:05 pm »
Aw....I hope the transition goes well for all involved. Not an easy situation I'm sure especially when you don't have the help of your brothers. Hang in there and in no time you'll all be one bigger happy family.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 03:04:26 pm »
Thank goodness that you understand what Buddy & Dollie are going through & that you are adopting them.  If not, what a sad, sad situation this would be for them.   :'(  

Is there any way that you could have someone else (besides your brothers) help you pick them up that would be more gentle about their approach?  If possible, maybe you could have the other person/people go with you to pick up & transport the dogs a day or so before your brothers are planning to help so that you could just say that "it's all done" and that their help isn't needed afterall.  My husband just suggested that if you have some strong but gentle & patient female friends that maybe they'd be a better choice.  He said that for a lot of guys it's all about how they can control the dogs & "get the job done", not about how the dog is feeling, so that's why he's suggesting that a woman help.  I think this is particularing interesting coming from another man.   ;)

One of my brothers told me years ago that he considered Pyrs to be stupid because Cara wouldn't roll over, play dead, or shake hands.   >:(  ::)  >:(  Unfortunately, for some people that is their criteria for how dogs show intelligence.  You don't want to know my reaction to his comment....  Anyway, don't be surprised if that is people's perception of Buddy and don't believe it for a second.   ;)  ;D  Thank you for what you are doing for these sweet dogs.  
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 03:17:35 pm »
I have already encountered Buddy's extreme intelligence but you only see how sensetive and intune he is when you are quietly watching him.  Most people that are not true dog people ever see this.  Most men that I know would not ever take the time or patience to work through this.  Of course I do know that there are special men out there that do take the time.  It is the most awesome experience I have ever had.  I plan on taking a leash and putting it on each of them and just letting them have it on them, there will be no pressure for them to go or do anything, it will just be there.  I need to know what is the best type of leash for what I want to do and later transportation because what we have did not work.  I do not want either of them ever man handled again because it serves no purpose.  It just stresses everyone out. It just made me angry and sad all at the same time.  I am sure that Mom is not happy.  Of course I am the youngest of three and the only female and so according to them I have no brains.  :-[

lookingfornewf

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 03:24:45 pm »
Could you tell us what state or province you live in. I would be happy to help you move them and there are probably others on here too that would.
You are absolutely doing it right and not just bullying them as your brothers wish. Poor dogs are probably scared to death wondering what is going on.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 03:33:27 pm »
I have already encountered Buddy's extreme intelligence but you only see how sensetive and intune he is when you are quietly watching him.  Most people that are not true dog people ever see this.  Most men that I know would not ever take the time or patience to work through this.  Of course I do know that there are special men out there that do take the time.  It is the most awesome experience I have ever had.  I plan on taking a leash and putting it on each of them and just letting them have it on them, there will be no pressure for them to go or do anything, it will just be there.  I need to know what is the best type of leash for what I want to do and later transportation because what we have did not work.  I do not want either of them ever man handled again because it serves no purpose.  It just stresses everyone out. It just made me angry and sad all at the same time.  I am sure that Mom is not happy.  Of course I am the youngest of three and the only female and so according to them I have no brains.  :-[

Ok, humor first.  My hubby just said that "they" are at a distinct disadvantage b/c of the blood draw to their midsections.  LOL  ;D  I love that guy!  Anyway, ignore them!  You are using both your head & your heart and that puts you at a huge advantage.  I also have 2 brothers & I learned to not take any guff from them from an early age.  Grrr....  As for the dogs, we have some wonderful people on BPO that do rescue so I'm sure that they'll have the best suggestions for you for leashes & other equipment that will help get them home with you with the least trauma.  I just wanted to see if I could give you a little smile in the midst of what must be a very tough situation for you. ((hugs))
Marie

And my pups:

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 04:26:16 pm »
everone on Big Paws are the best.  They always seem to come to the rescue when you need it most.  I just can't wait to get Buddy and Dollie with me.  Just so that I can give them the love that they so desperately need.  I know that I will spoil them a lot with love, but there are a lot worse things. ;D I have some friends that are going to assist in the final move and they are very caring individuals and are used to big dogs.  I hope to be able to lead them around in the back yard by the weekend, but if that is not possible that is okay.  They need time more then anything else.  thanks for the support I couldn't do this without you  ::)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 04:47:29 pm »
I have been very touched by your devotion to Buddy & Dollie and to your mom's final wishes.  I think that it's fair to say that we are all in your court & just wish that we were closer and able to help more.
Marie

And my pups:

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 09:37:23 pm »
Ugg!!! I grew up, the youngest of three, with two older brothers...I know how it can be, though the middle one did cry when i fed my snake on day with mice.  Poor guy.  Anywho, they can be so insensitive.  There is a reason why the dogs are still here and in your life.  I hope you all the best (of luck) and you will be in my thoughts.