Author Topic: Little pet pet peeves  (Read 8637 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Little pet pet peeves
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:43:53 pm »
Alright, I have a question for all of you....

Who else has little animal pet peeves that just drives you absolutely nuts? What are they?

I get applications all the time and the FASTEST way for me to deny you is miss spelling the breed of dog you are interested in or the breed of dog you have. Ok, ok, simple miss spellings that are obviously accidental are one thing, but I get people who apply for the dachshund we have in rescue, and on the application it will say "Dottson, doxsond, dotsine" etc. Or, Rockweilder for a Rottie. Or, minature doberman when applying for a min pin. Or, people who don't know what they have, for instance "I have a green bird." I get a lot of people asking about siberians who call them "alaskin huskees". I had one guy tell me he had a mastiff and when I got there to do the homecheck it was VERY OBVIOUSLY a greyhound. WHAT?!

I had someone just apply for a cockatiel we have here and they said they have lots of bird experience and own a "blue McCaaw" then later in the application they had it "blue Miccaw"

Am I the only one that thinks that if you don't know the spelling of the breed, you obviously don't know what you are doing?!

OK there are much bigger pet peeves that I could rant on and on about (And probably will at some point) but man alive this little one drives me bonkers!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Little pet pet peeves
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:00:39 pm »
Okay, mine is peole who apply to adopt a dog but want to change it immediately or something else equally stupid.  They want to adopt a pyr and then:
They want to know how quicky their hair grows, so they will know how often to shave it, cause they don't like fur in the house. 
They want to know if the bark collars work, because they have heard that they bark a lot.
They want to know if they are all that big, when you take your dog to their home for a home visit.  They thought they were a lot smaller.
They don't tell you they have any other animals, then when you do the home visit and see the lapdog(s), who proceed to attack your pyr, they reply, but I thought you meant what other big dogs do I have.  "Fifi" doesn't like big dogs, but she stays in the house, so they would never be together.
They say on the application that the dog will be kept in the house, then on the home visit, you find a kennel in the back yard with a dog house in it and they say, "Of course the dog will only stay there in the daytime.  We are buying a crate so it can sleep inside at night."
The more I learn about people, the less i like them.
Kathy

Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 10:31:09 pm »
My peeve would also be getting the breed wrong.  Especially when it is totally obviously not the breed they think it is.

There was a guy at the dog park once that in the point of me and another gal talking to him he mentioned his dog was a chesapeake bay retriever.  both of us were like, "are you sure?"  he said yes, his dog trainer said it looked like one and he looked it up on the internet and his dog was the "spitting image" of a chessie.

Only thing was, his dog was obviously an aussie.  Curled tail, medium length hair, tipped ears, medium sized, same build.

Or how about people who don't even know what they have?  When I worked in the petcare dept of Petsmart I sold crickets on a regular basis.  While counting them out I always made small talk and asked what they were feeding.  A commen answer was "a lizard".  What kind of lizard?  "oh, I don't know, it's about this big" and they show me with their hands how big it is, as if that's supposed to give me some clue.

A major pet peeve of mine, especially now that spring is coming up............ .is people taking animals out of the wild and trying to keep them as "pets".  Mainly, at least when I was in MN it was painted turtles, and to a lesser extent, snapping turtles.  They would come into the store and want to know how to take care of them.  Of course the first thing I would do is say to let it go back where you found it.  If they weren't willing to do that then I would tell them how to care for it.  But most people don't realize not only how big of a cage they need, even as hatchlings, but how dirty they are and fairly difficult to keep in terms of frequency of water changes.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:57:19 pm »
I have two blue and golds and a greenwing, and I love the "is that a" questions I get when people meet my birds.

"Ooohh! Look mom, a cockatoo/tiel!" or "A pirate bird" "Is that a hyacinth?" (at which point I jokingly say "Yes! And he's for sale, $12,000 sound good to you?") My birds are learning to answer. I had a little girl ask me when I had Milo out one day "Is that a real bird?" and Milo said "What's that?" I said "It's a little girl Milo" and she said "MMMMMMMMM Good!" and I said "No, Milo, we don't eat little girls." And she said "Aw....bad bird...I'm sorry."

That freaked the kid out.

Cockatiels become cockatoos. Budgies become cockatiels. DYH Amazons become "that green bird, you know, the one that talks" African greys are "The real smart ones, um, like, oh what's his name (Alex.)"

My favorite was someone who told me they had a breeding pair of green macaws that they needed to turn into the rescue and when I went to pick them up they were quakers.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:45:13 am »
Hey - I just this very morning saw a Craig's list listing for a "Rottweiler/Bull-Masstive".

The Milo and the little girl story is freakin hilarious!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

chaosndestruction

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:41:49 pm »
I have two blue and golds and a greenwing, and I love the "is that a" questions I get when people meet my birds.

"Ooohh! Look mom, a cockatoo/tiel!" or "A pirate bird" "Is that a hyacinth?" (at which point I jokingly say "Yes! And he's for sale, $12,000 sound good to you?") My birds are learning to answer. I had a little girl ask me when I had Milo out one day "Is that a real bird?" and Milo said "What's that?" I said "It's a little girl Milo" and she said "MMMMMMMMM Good!" and I said "No, Milo, we don't eat little girls." And she said "Aw....bad bird...I'm sorry."

HAHAHAHA!

Blue and Gold Macaws amuse me! I really want one someday, I know I can't afford one right now (time wise or money). Even though I know it's a number of years off I've already began to research them and have decided that I'd like to get some hands on experience with them before making the big commitment.

I hate when they misspell breeds as well. To me it shows that they haven't researched the breed they want.

I was getting my tires rotated and this guy had a bird (i'm unsure what breed) but he was trained to hide just out of reach of his owner and the owner would ask some un-suspecting stranger to help him buy grabbing the bird and putting it back on his shoulder. When they tried the bird would nip them. Not hard more like barely touching them at all but still scaring the crap out of them! 

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 01:08:34 pm »
lol i hate seeing on sites people who have or are looking to buy a chiwawa. LOL what is a chiwawa exactly? or a shitsu.
or when people buy our giant breeds and get rid of them by 6 months because 'i didnt know they got that big'  >:( idiots.

Modified to add:
also i hate when people ask me if my bull terriers have locking jaws like their pit bull cousins. um, NO.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 01:09:28 pm by Gevaudan_Jo »
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 01:17:07 pm »
i went with my sister in law to pick up a pitty. The guy who was sellin them was a complete idiot. First he tells us the pupps are in the backyard only to find that he lives on the corner of a busy road and an average road with no fences!!!
so these pups are just running loose
Then he says the dad was an ex fighting pitbull who he rescued 
2 years ago then says that he's only 18 months old!!!
he says the dad weighs 130lbs when he blatently didn't cuz he was half the size of Chav
Then he says the mother is a purebred akc registered pit but she is mixed with walker hound???

She got her pup anyways but wtf???
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 01:17:50 pm by arkydo »

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 01:24:39 pm »
sorry this is turning into a  novel of a  rant

Another thing that annoys me is when i'm walking my dogs and if a police car drives past they stop to ask me if my 'pitbull' is licensed,upto date and if he's aggressive
Chav aint no pitbull bar his colourings he's got nothing in common with one either

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 03:29:55 pm »
Ummm... Chav doesn't look anything like a pit bull.  His head is much leaner and his nose is longer and narrower than a pit.  You would think if the police are trained to look out for a certain breed they would at least know what the breed looks like.

Chav is a cutie!!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

AudgePadge

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 06:34:37 pm »
I can't stand when I take Monty to the dog park, and someone asks if he's a fighting dog...WHAT?!?!

If he was a fighting dog, would he be here playing with your little Fou Fou? I don't think so. Grrr...

I hate when people tell you what breed your dog is, and especially with Monty...I'm always getting told to be on my guard, because one of these days he'll turn on me and I'll be dead... Yep...what would I do without the general public's advice?

Offline Jennalyn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 05:05:12 am »
I get peeved when an adult calls my dogs "Beethovens" - They're Saint Bernards people. I understand it when kids say it, but ADULTS talking to another adult whith no children present is a sign of ignorance to me. 

"is that a Beethoven?" - puh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That and the "don't they have problems with aggression?"
AGGRESSION?  Have they even MET a Saint before now?!?!?!?!

OK,  I know CUJO was a scary movie, but really, if you broke into my house and I'm not there, Rusty and Brisco are more likely to lick you to death and show you where I keep the good china and my jewelry...my dogs can find much tastier snacks than stupid human...

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 01:00:34 pm »
hhahaha I cant stand it everytime we go for a walk. 

I have people stop me and say O I love your lab and cocker.  Ok Bell looks nothing like a lab.  Have you ever seen a Blue Lab with a docked tail.  HMMMM I dont think I have either. 

We then proceed to tell that she is a Weimeraner.  But what gets to me even more is Baxter.  He is an English Springer Spaniel.  Something very common to see.  He is liver and white and has the very classic white collar and blaze between the eyes with white on his tummy.  I have never seen a cocker that looks like that.  and I guess that he is a pretty big cocker.   >:(
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel