Author Topic: Teething????? or chewer???  (Read 1988 times)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Teething????? or chewer???
« on: March 05, 2008, 11:09:54 am »
OK so Issy turned one in Jan.  For the most part I haven't had any trouble with her chewing stuff.  She carries around her "babies" all the time but hasn't realized, as yet, that she could shred them if she wanted too!!  Anyway, I woke up the other day to buttons all over my bed.  She had gotten a pair of my work pants and chewed all the buttons off of them (all buttons accounted for, none swallowed).  Yesterday I was awakened by a clicking noise.  It was Issy throwing something around in her mouth.  It was part of the zipper off of the dog bed I've had for 6yrs!!!!  She does all this while I'm sleeping, and obviously she's bored.  My question is; would she be having some kind of teeth still coming in?  It doesn't look like there's anymore to come in, or (more likely) is she going through a chewie stage? 

I'm going to do the freeze a wet washcloth like Julie suggests since she likes crinckly things and maybe get some harder toys for her, that might be all she needs.  Just wanted ya'lls thoughts!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Teething????? or chewer???
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 01:44:04 pm »
I would say chewing stage.  It also sounds like it is due to boredom.  You're sleeping and she's not.  I would try giving her the frozen washclothes, harder toys, and some lare raw bones to gnaw on.  A good bone, with a little bit of meat or gristle left on it, will occupy my guys for literally 2 - 3 hours.  Trying to get that little bit of whatever smells and tastes so good, is utterly engrossing for them.  Femur bones are good, pork shoulder bones, shank bones, etc.  Something that is big enough to hold with their paws, so they are physically biting and tugging on it, is great exercise as well as entertaining.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Teething????? or chewer???
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:16:32 pm »
That's kind of what I thought too.  She does love the femur bones!!!!  I'll have to go and get some more!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix