Author Topic: HELP!! When can puppies join the livestock?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline greatmini

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
HELP!! When can puppies join the livestock?
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:50:57 am »
My 2 Pyrs (Nick and Noel) are 3& 4 months old respecively and are presently living inside the house (small house!!!). They have been spayed and neutered (last week). They are soooo adorable and loving, but I got them to be guard dogs for mini horses, sheep, donkeys etc.. I have 10 acres of fenced pasture/yard. I do let them in to the barn while mucking stalls, but if one of the other animals comes in, the Pyrs run for the hills!! I had a HUGE dog house built inside the barn. They love being outside, but have also bonded with my other dogs (Westie, Golden, English Spaniel) and cats (Persian, Himalayan) who are mainly inside. How do I make the transition from inside to outside? Any help will be greatly appreciated!! It is getting quite crowded in here!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!! When can puppies join the livestock?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:51:36 pm »
I would think once they are fully vaccinated they can transition to outdoor living, especially now that spring is around the corner.

Maybe start by leaving them locked in the barn for a few hours at a time and see how they do?  Then work you way to overnights, then full days.  If they listen well off leash, you could let them wander around outside with supervision of course until they are able to be trusted with full roam priviliges.

Offline stryder

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:07:21 am »
Try PyrTalk@Yahoogroups.com
They specialize in Working Pyrs and their training.
THoM
Modified to add a good Pyr training person.
tanimara_great _pyrenees@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:56:00 am by stryder »
Spay before the first heat NOT after the first litter.
Neuter before he runs away.

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 10:01:50 am »
My 2 Pyrs (Nick and Noel) are 3& 4 months old respecively and are presently living inside the house (small house!!!). They have been spayed and neutered (last week). They are soooo adorable and loving, but I got them to be guard dogs for mini horses, sheep, donkeys etc.. I have 10 acres of fenced pasture/yard. I do let them in to the barn while mucking stalls, but if one of the other animals comes in, the Pyrs run for the hills!! I had a HUGE dog house built inside the barn. They love being outside, but have also bonded with my other dogs (Westie, Golden, English Spaniel) and cats (Persian, Himalayan) who are mainly inside. How do I make the transition from inside to outside? Any help will be greatly appreciated!! It is getting quite crowded in here!!

At 3 to 4 months of age already you would need to start getting them out there aquainted...th er are some really good sites on the internet that explains how to intergrate your LGD to the flock,you have to seperate them for a short time and let them wacth, get aquianted then slowly let them have time out with the livestock,correcting any rough houseing that may go on.Go to google and type in your search and there will be lots of good info.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse