Author Topic: How much info is too much for a breeder to ask?  (Read 17541 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
How much info is too much for a breeder to ask?
« on: March 07, 2008, 02:20:23 pm »
Dan and I are starting to think about the possibility of getting a new puppy. I am leaning towards rescue, he wants a breeder that we research more fully. He wants one today, but I am not quite ready. So we have compromised that he can at least talk to breeders about puppies that are either just born or going to be born soon, so that it will be another two months until we actually get her.

We think we want our next puppy to be a different giant because I think it would be too painful for me to get another saint right now after loosing zoey. So we have been talking about it and we think we are going to get a newfie.
There's a newfie breeder that he has been talking to who just had puppies. He found her through the akc, so I know she is respected.

Anyways, he is talking to her and she is demanding a lot of stuff from us before she would be willing to sell us a dog. At first she was asking for stuff I was expecting to ask for - she wants to meet us, have us fill out an application including vet info, household members, etc, and she wants to see pictures of our backyard which she requires to be fenced. Now none of that bothers me because; in fact I was glad she was asking all that because I want to have a breeder that shows they care about their puppies enough to be careful about who they sell them to. However, now Dan tells me she is demanding three letters of recommendation; one from our vet, one from a family friend, and one from our employers. To me that sounds like too much to ask for. I mean seriously, a letter from my boss? Now, my boss would have no problem writing a letter for me, but that's an imposition I would have to put on her time that I just think it's ridiculous for a breeder to ask for.

The breeder keeps saying that she won't compromise on her requirnments, so if we have a problem with any of them, then basically 'have a nice day'. But at the same time when I asked for ofa certs she said she would show them to use when we met her but would not email us the info before hand (so we could search for them on the ofa website). It seems hypocritical that she isn't willing to meet my requirenment that only shows I am carefully screening a breeder, but she is asking for so much that I think she is overstepping bounds.

Am I wrong here? Or is it normal for breeders to ask for that much?
RIP former BPO

Nicole

Re: How much info is too much for a breeder to ask?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 02:35:52 pm »
I don't really know how much is too much, but I just wanted to add this.

Just because you found the breeder through the akc does NOT make them respected or good. The AKC is just a registry. Nothing more. Why don't you ask HER for references? Tell her that you would like to speak with owners of her pups, you want phone numbers, etc. Don't ever feel like you are over stepping bounds by asking for the OFA certifications before you meet her.

If she isn't willing to give you what you want right up front, move on. There is absolutely NO reason for her to withold that information.

YOU are the customer. Its understandable for a breeder to want to know that their pups are going to good homes, but when they are not also ensuring YOU that you are getting a quality pup, then it is one-sided.

I'm getting bad vibes, but maybe that's just me. I'd keep looking if you have any red flags. YOu want your breeder to be someone that you feel comfortable with in the future, someone you can call and ask questions and where you feel as if nothing is a secret. If you are ALREADY having reservations, just think about what could happen when puppy is like, a year or two old.

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:52:18 pm »
I totally agree.  And good luck on your search for a pup!!  SO exciting!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 03:57:46 pm »
when i was taking jazmine (dane) from the shelter, they asked for 3 refernces, resume, and credit check too. 

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:03:25 pm »
I know that I've said this before, so forgive the repetition if you've read it already, but.....

Please, please call the Newfy Club rescue person in the breeder's area for a reference on this breeder before you continue.  I know that you said that you're interested in a rescue pup/dog also, so you could explore that at the same time if you like.  Rescue will know if this breeder is as reputable as they say.  

Halley's breeder is listed with the AKC & even today is in "good standing" with the Pyr Club & her dogs keep consistantly winning in the show ring.  Though how she can be in "good standing" is beyond me.  You won't hear anything bad about her or her dogs unless you talk to someone in the local rescue or other local breeders.  Now, I might have discounted this type of info in the past as "sour grapes" b/c her dogs win so frequently, but not now. It's a tough call, but you have to decide who to believe.

After losing Halley at 3 y/o to bone cancer we found out that her breeder has a lot of cancer in her bloodlines & as she is closely line breeding, it is a very sad situation for the dogs & those of us that love them.  This breeder is also known to be a nasty b----- and she won't pull her own dogs from rescue without a big fight.  I checked her AKC & GPCA standing before we bought Halley, but I wish to Heaven that I'd checked with rescue & the other local Pyr Club people ahead of time.  I'm afraid that this is more common than most of us know/knew.  If we can all stop buying pups from the breeders whose dogs win at the shows, but die young from genetic problems, maybe in time we'll slow down their breeding program.  If so, we'll be doing the puppies a huge service, as well as saving ourselves the heartache.

That all being said (and sorry it's long), I'm sure that you & Dan will find a wonderful puppy or dog that will make you both smile and fill your home with lots of happy dog sounds again.   :)  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 05:52:59 pm »
I can't tell you what to do about this particular breeder but I can tell you that when we were looking for a flat coat we ran into some very demanding breeders.  They wanted a letter or a phone call from our vet; histories on our other dogs and one wanted us to write an essay about what we expected our experience with a flat coat to be.

I wish more breeders were demanding and then maybe there would be less people obtaining dogs they aren't prepared for.

Best of luck - how exciting a new puppy!! :D

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 05:54:13 pm »
Heather, if you know her kennel name or dam's name you can get on http://www.offa.org/search.html and see her dog's health records.
You must be super excited!!! Good luck :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 01:20:36 pm »
As a breeder I can tell you a written letter of reference is NOT worth the paper it is written on!  Anyone even a convicted rapist can get someone to write a letter of reference  And yes it is good to ask a lot of questions about the breeding program health problems etc but be mindful that the breeder actually has things to do like take care of the dogs and puppies and spending several hours a day answering long winded emails may not be in the best interest of the dogs.  A lot more info can be covered more easily in a phone call.  And if you get references of past puppy buyers you can call them too.  Rescues can also be a good source but only if that breeder's dogs are ending up in rescue.  Otherwise what is the rescue basing their opinion on??

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 03:08:50 pm »
I'd go through the Newf Club rather than AKC.  I think she should give you the OFA info prior to you having to meet her. Recommendation s from a vet I could understand but employer and such is being a bit paranoid. Does she have a website where you can get a list of her dog's names? If so maybe get the list and then look them up yourself. We're in the New England Newf Club...I'm not sure when the next meeting is but you should try to go to one once you get a list of breeders you may be interested in. They have a breeder's list on their website and I know there are a few good breeders local as well as in New York.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 09:54:02 pm »
Hi Heather, I think I can actually know which breeder your talking with. i think its a bit excessive what she's asking for but ultimatly thats for you and Dan? to decide. I will say I would give Cathy (rescuer Cordinator for NCNE) a call or email. I will pm you her info.

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 01:24:17 pm »
Dan and I are starting to think about the possibility of getting a new puppy. I am leaning towards rescue, he wants a breeder that we research more fully. He wants one today, but I am not quite ready. So we have compromised that he can at least talk to breeders about puppies that are either just born or going to be born soon, so that it will be another two months until we actually get her.

We think we want our next puppy to be a different giant because I think it would be too painful for me to get another saint right now after loosing zoey. So we have been talking about it and we think we are going to get a newfie.
There's a newfie breeder that he has been talking to who just had puppies. He found her through the akc, so I know she is respected.

Anyways, he is talking to her and she is demanding a lot of stuff from us before she would be willing to sell us a dog. At first she was asking for stuff I was expecting to ask for - she wants to meet us, have us fill out an application including vet info, household members, etc, and she wants to see pictures of our backyard which she requires to be fenced. Now none of that bothers me because; in fact I was glad she was asking all that because I want to have a breeder that shows they care about their puppies enough to be careful about who they sell them to. However, now Dan tells me she is demanding three letters of recommendation; one from our vet, one from a family friend, and one from our employers. To me that sounds like too much to ask for. I mean seriously, a letter from my boss? Now, my boss would have no problem writing a letter for me, but that's an imposition I would have to put on her time that I just think it's ridiculous for a breeder to ask for.

The breeder keeps saying that she won't compromise on her requirnments, so if we have a problem with any of them, then basically 'have a nice day'. But at the same time when I asked for ofa certs she said she would show them to use when we met her but would not email us the info before hand (so we could search for them on the ofa website). It seems hypocritical that she isn't willing to meet my requirenment that only shows I am carefully screening a breeder, but she is asking for so much that I think she is overstepping bounds.

Am I wrong here? Or is it normal for breeders to ask for that much?

I would vote overstepping.. letter from boss and backyard pics..a little out there..
Someone mentioned credit check..thats a little far,IMO.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Zoja

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 02:45:10 pm »
I can understand a letter from vet or friend reference, but a letter from your boss? maybe she wants to see if you can afford the dog- wierd. Has she given you any references- of course she may only give you the good ones, but at least you can talk to others before you decide. Do you have to commit to anything before she shows you the ofa papers? Does she show her dogs? Not all breeders are good that are AKC or CKC(canadian).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 02:47:30 pm by Zoja »
Shannon

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 06:40:54 pm »

Good for the Breeder - always better to hear about asking too much than too little.  No matter how much we try to educate buyers on what to look for, it is hard to get across the importance of just determining that the breeder cares about the dogs she is producing and wants to ensure they are going to one home, and one forever home only.  I don't think it is too much to ask for references, although it is not the important thing or can replace interviewing you all and evaluating your home.  She would be better served to be grilling you and your husband on training methods, diet to be fed, and where the dog will sleep to ensure it meets her standards.

You have received a lot of good input already as well on the AKC reference - please know that this means nothing.  My Breed club has been working with the AKC on their classifieds and getting many breeders advertizing there thrown off - so much false information is posted there, including whether they are in a parent club - and it is not the AKC who verifies this info - it is up to the Breed club, so if they aren't doing it...anyone can be advertizing there.

Golden Pyrs gave great advice to contact Newf Rescue in the area and check out this breeder.  No one knows best about breeders than the breed rescues and if they are getting any of that breeder's dogs...walk away.  The breeder sounds good and diligent, but be sure by contacting Newf Rescue.  The Club itself is a good place to start but also no guarantee as there are always bad breeders in every club, that the club cant get rid of once they're in.  The Rescues however have no obligation and know best even when they are closely affiliated with the club overall.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 04:00:07 pm »
We had a breeder  of Neo's in WA that required references and an employer was one.  That was the first step and that was also the last step.  She denied us because we are military and said that in the last 2 years she has pulled 5 of her pups from various rescues as far as CA because the owners were military and bought a small pup that grew into a large dog and didnt want to spare the expenses to move the dog with them or couldnt because they were moving overseas.
NOW, im glad things worked out the way that they did because if we had gotten that puppy then we wouldnt have Gunner now.

Go with your gut too, meet with her,  see her dogs, the certs and thier enviroment and then you will know exactly what you need to do.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Gentian

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 08:16:33 pm »
I don't think the backyard pics are out of line, since I'd prefer that to a home check. I hate feeling under the microscope. But the reference from the employer is a bit much to me. That's a part of my life that I don't want my employer to be a part of. Employment could be proven with a simple pay stub, but I would even object to that.

When we were looking into puppies, we thought we found a breeder we liked until we read the contract and saw that it required us to give a certain supplement for the dog's entire life, and that she was a distributor of that supplement. That's not so much a TMI thing, but I did think it was going a bit too far.