Author Topic: How much info is too much for a breeder to ask?  (Read 17520 times)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: How much info is too much for a breeder to ask?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 08:42:38 pm »
As I'm sure others have said...
Just because a breeder is listed on the AKC site or has "AKC dogs" does not in any, way, shape or form make them a good breeder....doe sn't even mean they are not a mill.
 I think this breed has either had really bad experiences with people or is very protective. I have no issue with the vets name ect but I think the 3 letters is a bit much.
 As for pics of your yard...when I did rescue if a home was to far for us to check it we would Google Earth the address to check for a fence.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 11:42:41 am »
I think that the questions were okay for the breeder to ask...I don't think that the employer one though is something that she needs to have.  We will be breeding our wolfhound this winter(hopefully, if her health checks are good) and I have a list that is fairly similar to that of that breeders.  A breeder needs to know almost everything about the new potential owners.  She is putting so much trust in what you tell her about yourselves.  If she has never met you that is all that she has is the answers that you give her.  Likely she has had problems in the past with people that have not met her expectations.  Newfs are giants and come with a giant responsibility .  Something not to take lightly.  I think that you are on the right path, but if you are not comfortable with her, move on....there are great breeders out there and you can build wonderful friendships with them.  We have been so lucky with our breeders, managed to find three great couples and have awesome friendships with them as well.
If you would like you could PM me and I could try to find you a reputable breeder in your area.  I know a lot of people that have been breeding for quite some time and maybe they could help too.  Maybe you want to come to Canada to check out the newfs here!!!
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 11:47:29 am »
I just found this list, maybe this will help too...
http://www.hanc.net/PDFs/Checklist.pdf
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 12:28:42 pm »
Letters of reference maybe from your vet but the others are a bit much. As for pictures of your yard... how the heck is she gonna prove that is your yard?! I understand her concern those are her babies but lets be reasonable here...your boss!?! How the heck would most folks bosses know how we treat our dogs? I think she could tell tons just by visiting your home and seeing your dogs now. I agree with everyone else, sounds like she has been burned in the past. If she makes you uncomfortable find someone else.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline BostonsDad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Hound Dog Solutions
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 09:47:24 pm »
Are you getting a work visa? Perhaps a license to kill?

The breeder SHOULD ask questions. It's the right thing to do. Three letters of reference and urine sample? Too far.

The DNA samples, however, are just frightening. Look out for frame ups.

Seriously though, our local Humane Society asks questions like that. If you have a back yard. If you give medicine and are willing to spend thousands of dollars. If you sneezed on your dog at age 3. If you ever wrote for a communist-friendly dog magazine.

I hear horror stories of the place (I'm a journalist) from people who wanted to adopt a cat. One lady told me her mom went to adopt one. She was turned down because she was old (and thus wrinkly, something for a cat to grab onto or something weird like that), and didn't make enough on her pension.

So the lady went to the next town over and wound up with two cats and a sizable donation to the SPCA.

A good standard from a journalist's perspective: if anyone asks you a question that may come up in court during the murder trial of your wife whom you insist was done in by the one armed man, don't answer it.

Advice to pass on to your husband: After talking with a few breeders and meeting a few, the experience of going through a rescue was a wonderful and in fact, we're rescuing another. Also, it doesn't cost $14,300,383 for a freakin' breed that doesn't exist (see 'doodleplex').
"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."
---
“. . . there was about him a suggestion of lurking ferocity, as though the Wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept.” Jack London

Offline My Kahlua-Bear! :-]

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 12:46:35 pm »
Two things
1: As stated before, being AKC certified means nothing, it just means that they spent the money to register their dog. It does not necessarily equal a reputable breeder. I can sort of unerstand 3 letters of reccomendation, kind of like ok you sound great but i want to make sure you're for real. Even with that mindset its pushing it a little. But the boss thing sounds a bit much. All that aside, the fact that it is an extremely one sided policy is not right. I see red flags. A reputable and responsible breeder should be willing to show you reeferences so that you know you're getting a quality pup. I would say move on. There are hundreds of other Newf breeders. I'm sure plenty of people here would be willing to personal message you with the info on their breeders.

2: Wow, you are just like me. I was born with a Saint in the house. Her name was Remy. Funny thing my Sis's name is Zoë lol. My beloved "2nd mommy" who was the sweeter than the sweetest thing immaginable, passed away when I was 6 due to heartworm complications. When it came time for another giant, what did we go for - NEWFIE!!! I think you are right not to get another saint. Partially because no matter how hard you try, you will compare her/him to Zoey, and no two dogs are alike, and the other reason is you get to add to your giant knowledge with a new breed and thats always fun. Good luck finding a pup! I'm sure who ever you choose will be perfect!

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 03:54:24 pm »
A letter from your employer is over the edge. When my beloved Siberian Husky had pups, I pleaded for pictures of the pups *Wonder Years* I never lost contact with the six families. We actually had a one year birthday party at my house. Probably considered *over the edge* too!...but they were my grand :-* pups! I had my SH's for 14 & 16 years and I haven't been able to get another one.. (YET)   
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 03:59:56 pm by yellow_dog_mom »