Author Topic: Tree eating/fence eating *update*  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Tree eating/fence eating *update*
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:03:35 pm »
Titan has been slowly eating our tree in the yard, and today, he ate aportion of our fence.  Why is he eating wood? Does he need fiber? Why would he be doing this? He is like a horse...cribbi ng...i dont know what to do... i could stay outside with him, i could cover the tree with a sheet of metal, but i just wondering why he would be doing this. Any  ideas?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:02:01 pm by jaz and titan »

lorim2

Re: Tree eating/fence eating
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:05:30 pm »
My dog will do something like that if he is bored.  Thats the only thing I can think of...

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:28 pm »
I have found that dogs, like people have distinct preferences in what they like.  When Max was teething he would chew on anything he could fit in his mouth.  Some seem to prefer wood, some paper, some cloth, some leather.  Is he teething by chance?  That's what it sounds like to me.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:40 pm »
OH no...not teething..when he was teething he lost all  ALL of his teeth in the same day....it was horrible..the blood...oh the poor thing.  he is not teething...the re was a leash wrapped around the tree..and i thought he was chewing on that..then i removed the leash and he now is eating the bark on the tree..into the wood.  And with the fence, it is a stockade wood fence...he is eating the support beams, and the pointy ends of the fence... i dont know what his issues are...i didnt know if there was anything else i shuld do

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 08:23:53 pm »
When they eat wood, I am always worried about the splinters getting lodged inside them and doing damage.  I would just tell him no, when you see him do it and offer him a chew toy or something appropriate for him to chew on.  Jake will chew on our fence, but he is only trying to pull the wood off so he can get out.  He escaped that way one time, when I had them outside while I was mowing.  Now, I don't let him stay out very long, if I am not watching him constantly.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 08:36:06 pm »
i guess i thought wrong in the fact that there are 4 dogs outside to play...and since it is such a nice day that they would finally love to be outside to play all day...although ...not at the expence of a tree or fence...oh well learned my lesson!

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 12:20:19 am »
My dog will do something like that if he is bored.  Thats the only thing I can think of...

I second the bored option.  Many year back my beloved Voodoo dug a whole the size of a VW at the corner of my old house one sunny afternoond.  I did not realize the hole was there until it rained 4 inches that night and my basement was flooded.  Sometimes dogs , even when they are not alone, well do destructive/obsessive things when left unattended.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 12:25:56 am »

Mine would spend hours chewing the bark off anything if i would let them! I get worried about them eating the bark i can't see how that would be good in there tummys and then to be pooped out ewwwwwwwwwww
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 12:37:25 am »

Mine would spend hours chewing the bark off anything if i would let them! I get worried about them eating the bark i can't see how that would be good in there tummys and then to be pooped out ewwwwwwwwwww

Butter does the same thing if allowed.

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Tree eating/fence eating *update*
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:41:56 pm »
the fence is not pressure treated.... ;D and the tree is a red maple (it is just a baby, maybe 8 inch circumfrence on it.  So iit is just a twig? lol..perhaps to titan it is.  I the fence part that he is chewing is the way to get in and out.  So perhaps he is doing it to get out? But it is movable, and i just attached it to the house. The reason why it is closed is so the dogs dont play on the cement by the door...which they are doing as i am typing this.  And they play somewhat hard (just thrashing around, falling, so on)i can leave it open like i did today, although they stand at the door...it is 50 degrees out, they need to be outside. They have been couped up and need time outside!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:53:40 pm by jaz and titan »

marypyrs

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 09:08:37 pm »
Red Maple is extreemly toxic to horses. The leaves that is. But I am not aware of the effect of bark chewing on dogs.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 10:11:25 pm »
Maple trees are sweet like candy in the spring when the sap is rising.  A red maple won't be as sweet as a sugar maple, but will still be tasty.  Red maples, depending on the exact type, can be very expensive and fragile.  I would protect the tree.  Friends in Wisconsin with sugar maples and a dog who would come home with his face covered in sticky sap.

Zita figured out fast that I will trade her a stick for a treat or toy.  I should take a picture of the box I keep the sticks in until dumpster day...
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 09:55:34 pm »
I came home from work today, and all the dogs (4 of them) stopped doing what ever they were doing and all lied down.  I questioned what was going on...only to find out they ate all of the bark off the tree!!!! I guess red maple tastes great!  SO... i put some extra laminate flooring we had, and duct tape on the tree until i can afford a tree protector..tha t usually protects from deer...but i guess i have a bunch of deer and cows that eat everything!!!!