Author Topic: Buddy and Dollie and Cats  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Buddy and Dollie and Cats
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:07:48 am »
Hello Everyone,

My fence should be up by Thursday and so I think I will be transporting Buddy and Dollie, to my residence this weekend.  They have calmed down a lot since the traumatic weekend.  They are just so glad to be with people all of the time.  I was wearing a black coat and was petting buddy and I was white with his shedding hair, it was pretty amusing.

The only bad thing that happened was that a neighborhood cat wandered into the backyard and they attacked her.  My brother was very upset and the cat was very messed up, she had to be put to sleep.  It was very sad,  :'( because she was a pretty siamese.  They were protecting their backyard and they are both very territorial.  I am really worried about my cats, to the point that I am thinking about bringing them inside permanently.  I could really use some suggestions or advice. I also worry about my two little chihuahua's because I am afraid that they might do the same to them.  The chihuahua's or the girls' as we call them are indoor dogs.  I would appreciate any input anyone might have.

Thanks

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Buddy and Dollie and Cats
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 04:56:22 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about the kitty, how sad!   :'(  I would definitely keep your kitties inside full time after Buddy & Dollie arrive.  Perhaps in time with training you will be able to make them understand that cats are allowed in their territory, but personally I would never risk it after you've seen what they can do and how it only takes a second!   :(  Hopefully, you don't have a lot of neighborhood kitties that like to wander through your yard.  But if you do, you may want to consider buying a 10'x10' chain link kennel (Home Depot or Lowe's usually have them for around $200 or so) to put in the midst of your yard for a little while.  If the dogs are inside this secondary kennel within your yard, it will keep them from hurting neighborhood cats while the cats figure out that there are dogs on duty now and that they'd better find an alternate route through the neighborhood.  ;)

It's great that the dogs are becoming so affectionate with you!  That will make their transition so much easier.  It sounds like you are handling their move really well.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Buddy and Dollie and Cats
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 10:20:24 pm »
I would agree that it sounds like it would be best if the cats and the dogs are kept separate, I don't think you would want to risk your cats' safety since you've seen what Buddy and Dollie can do. I also wonder if it might be different when they come to your house because it won't feel like their territory right away, and maybe they can become acclimated to your cats more easily since the cats won't be on their "turf."
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven