Author Topic: Newfoundlands and Cats  (Read 21036 times)

Offline PC

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Newfoundlands and Cats
« on: August 01, 2005, 05:35:35 pm »
We absolutely love, and are considering getting a Newfoundland. We have researched the breed and feel it would be a great fit for us. We have two cats who we feel confident will accept a dog into the house providing the dog doesn't growl or act otherwise aggressively toward them.  Has anyone with a Newfoundland had a dog who was aggressive toward cats. I know that getting a puppy increases the likelyhood they will accept cats more readily but we have a young son and were considering applying to adopt an older dog from a local Newf rescue group.

Any input would be appreciated.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Newfoundlands and Cats
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 06:06:19 pm »
We have two cats and a newfoundland pup (16'ish weeks).  The cats have been pretty accepting, but they both grew up with dogs also.  They've warned him off a few times when his puppy exuberance has been too much for them.  I don't think I have ever read about a strong prey drive in Newf's, but we're just newbies so maybe some of the more experienced members can help you more.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 07:37:33 pm »
My sister has a cat that is always really good with Bear. He loves stare at her and she plays with his tail but they don't "play" because he gets bored with her.  :D He is great with all animals though!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 10:57:29 pm »
I don't think I've ever heard of a small prey drive either!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 11:07:00 pm »
From what I've read & heard, Pyrs & Newfies seem to have very similiar temperment...O ne of the things that attracked me to the Pyr breed is that I read over & over that they not only got along with cats, they loved them...I have 8 house cats so this was very important!...Samson loves the cats so much!...Anyone have cats & Newfs?

Offline Khiori

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • SoloDancer
    • View Profile
    • Solitude
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 11:17:03 am »
I think it really depends on the dog and the cat.  My cat hated the dogs.  So Solo loved to chase her.  Leo liked to sniff her fur.  She hated that but Leo spent about 2 looooong years making friends.  Finally she accepted him - but only if no one was looking.  If we looked she'd wack him on the nose and run away then Solo would see her running and he'd chase her, and Leo would chase Solo to see what he was doing.  I think I had an evil cat. ha ha.  Seriously though - it's all in both the cat and the dog.  Newfies don't have a strong prey drive, but some are stronger than others.  I have a strong one.

Offline 3snotenough

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Rhonda's Newfies
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2005, 11:45:01 am »
Does this ease your mind? This is my newf Triton with his little buddies.

Offline mikesroth

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2005, 12:07:17 pm »
Bah... thats cheating Triton is that way with EVERYTHING!!!!  Or so it seems from all the pictures you have of him.

I think it would depend on both the cats and the dog.  For instance, we have 4 cats, 2 will absolutely want NOTHING to do with Harry (when we get him), just because they don't like dogs.  Tolerate them, but would rather not be with them.  The other 2 will be more interested, but it will be on "THEIR" terms.  From the pictures we have seen so far, I might get lucky and have my own 'Triton' dog when it comes to other animals. :)

If you are getting a rescue, talk to the people you are getting the dog from.  They should have a good idea how the dog will react.
Newfie on the Way.....

Offline 3snotenough

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Rhonda's Newfies
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 12:49:56 pm »
whatever do you mean Mike? :D

Mikes right though every dog is going to be different. Good luck!!

Offline sobe

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 01:23:04 pm »
We are owned by 3 cats , and it was a slight concern for me when Moose came home. The cats, Sobe, Cosmo and Baby Rue are used to living with Fwirly, who is a highly energetic dog and they do fine with him, but I didn't know if they'd be fine with Moose too. They are indoor cats only and this is a small house, so it had to work out.
Well....we brought Moose home, he was 3 months old when we got him. Cosmo and Baby Rue hid right away, which was ok. Sobe on the other hand was going to try and let this thing know who is boss in our house and was trying to get Moose's attention.
Moose had just been on the road for 5 hours, coming home with his new daddy and human brother and was tired, thank you very much, so while Sobe pranced and jumped in front of him and tried with all his might to get Moose's attention, Moose yawned and fell asleep.
You should have seen Sobe !  One does not ignore a cat !! But Moose would not chase or even come closer, no matter what Sobe tried to do. Finally, being so frustrated and fed up, Sobe walked right over to Moose, meowed at him and shoved his behind against Moose's nose. Moose was happy to oblige and took a nice long sniff . Ever since that moment they have been best friends. In total it took about an hour with Sobe.
Baby Rue thought Moose was one smelly area rug that we got, her curiosity got the best of her after a day, and she went to check it out. Moose showed a little interest but was not willing to chase her. When she finally got him interested enough to look at her, she hissed and lifted her paw which was enough for Moose. He backed off. Baby Rue knew who was in control and used her act a few more times, but has yet to be chased by Moose ( he's been part of the family for 3 months now).
Cosmo was very skittish at first and was petrified of Moose.  It took Cosmo about 4 days to come around and now they are best friends and Cosmo is even teaching Moose to hunt moths ( when I can catch them and bring them in the house, lol ).
What I noticed about Moose compared to Fwirly is that while he's interested , he doesn't really chase the cats. He will if they are playing but seems to be respectful of them if that makes sense. Mind you, I have seen the cats chase Moose more than the other way around because he does like to steal their toys and both Baby Rue as well as Cosmo will chase him to get their toy back.

Offline MuttigreeMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2005, 07:33:24 pm »
I used to foster cats and at one point had 15 of them in my house (6 indoor, 7 outdoor from a little a stray had under my shed). At the time I only had my Karma (lab/greyhound) and she got along fabulously with them. Heck she and Jack used to share a dog bed  :D

But I know your question is about Newfs....

When I adopted Boo (my newf), I was down a bit on the number of cats... some adopted, some put down due to illness, but there were still a chunk of them in the house. I also take him to my bf's parents house and they have 3 cats. He hasn't had a problem with any of them, even at the first meeting with a new cat. If anything he just wants to cuddle and lick the heck out of them :) I have never had any problems with any of my dogs and any of my cats. It took a few weeks for everyone to get used to each other and learn each other's boundaries, but nothing violent... nothing agressive... more like "Do you want to snuggle with me? No, ok then I'll leave you alone" kind of thing.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 09:13:11 pm »
We've had the same success with our Newfs and cats as everybody else.  I have three cats and have had four Newfs and everybody seems to get along fine.  The puppy, (5 months) Chester will chase the cats that will run, but we have one ornery old guy that refuses to move.   If Chester nudges him with his nose to play, the old guy pops him one and that seems to settle it.  Chester will sit and bark and him but he won't get within a cat paws length!  The youngest cat, actually baits Chester to chase him and then hides and pops out again to start the process all over.  I've never heard of a Newf having a problem with a cat!

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 11:26:23 pm »
Does this ease your mind? This is my newf Triton with his little buddies.

OH that's priceless! ;D My little Pyr Pippin has taken a strong like for my 2 bunnies...He has decided he must gaurd them...lol...I t is so cute how these big scary dogs love all life forms! :D

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 03:23:29 am »
Hello!

Ours are best of buds with the kitties.  Our main cat is very old, and so the boys actually protect her.

As for prey drive, depends on what you mean.  Newfies are a type of retriever and working dogs.  Ours have a prey drive and would rather go about chasing birds or leaves than pay attention if we allowed them to.  We try to focus this attention on what we feel is more positively productive in socialization.  I've heard many a times where someone was real upset that their newfie caught a bird or other animals.  Or dragged an already dead animal in, or rolled in something foul.  Sometimes the little critter was dead, not because the newfie killed it on purpose, but just carrying it around being drooly or giving the poor thing a heart attack.  No bite marks at all.    One person, years ago, was upset to the point of thinking her newfie was murdering little animals and that she had gotten a poorly bred newf and was scared her Newfie would go after the cats and kids next.  She was going to take her newfie to the shelter and have it put down  :o :o

It's totally natural for most dogs to have a bit of drive at the very least.  Little birdies, mice, etc.  Just depends on the situation.   A friend of mine her two newfies herd fish (yep that's right), corner them and catch them in their mouth.  They are gentle souls, but they are dogs who love to fish.  That is a prey/herding drive if you think about it.
 So many variables exist in any breed because they are dogs.  Some animal behavior folks will say the pouncing of puppies and the head down/ butt up...are all different play practices.  Some being prey.  It just never develops the way it may have had to years ago when they lived in packs.

The only reason I mention this, is that some individuals really do panic if their Newfie shows any type of "dogness".  It is honestly normal to a point, and please don't fear a Newfie if it drags in a bird, or slobbers a mouse to death.

Luvmenewfs.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 03:54:27 am »
Angus could care less ablout our cat, who is scared to death to come down stairs and walk past the dog. I introduced them and Abby the cat decided right then that she did not care to be part of that friendship. I've only seen her 3 times the last 2 weeks though her food is dissappearing! Angus's prey drive is focused on white moths only, I think his new diet is moths and puddle water.