Author Topic: Pyrs Back Toes?  (Read 12257 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Pyrs Back Toes?
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:54:00 pm »
My daughter has been looking at a Pyr at one of the rescues,The site says Full pyr but doesnt really look like one BUT has the back toes..so question is..can a pyr mix have the back toes? not dew claws but the actual toes with the pad(Extra Thumb some call it)Daughter says its a reccessive Gene(Sp?)so didnt think a pyr mix could carry the gene or toes.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Pyrs Back Toes?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 01:13:44 pm »
What do you mean doesn't really look like one?  How does it differ?  I ask because Pyrs can look different sometimes, My Naja doesn't have the fluffy long fur that Full Blooded Pyrs usually do, nor does Kathys Jake.  If this Pyr has off coloring it doesn't mean it's not full blood, just not up to standard.  Or it very well may be a mix, which doesn't make him/her any less loveable, just not all Pyr (and hey not everybody can be totally "Pyrfect"!  ::) ;))  The double dews may show up in a mix, it doesn't happen often, but it is possible, that gene may just have shown a little stronger in this dog then it did in it's litter mates.  ;)  Kinda like a child from a family with all black hair being born a blonde.  her parents may have black hair, and their parents may have had black hair, but her great grandfather may have been a blonde, and that's where the gene came from.  ;)  I'd love to see a picture of this pup if you or your daughter has one.  You know just to help answer your question a little more definatively, not for my own personal enjoyment at all.  ;) ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 02:17:41 pm »
What do you mean doesn't really look like one?  How does it differ?  I ask because Pyrs can look different sometimes, My Naja doesn't have the fluffy long fur that Full Blooded Pyrs usually do, nor does Kathys Jake.  If this Pyr has off coloring it doesn't mean it's not full blood, just not up to standard.  Or it very well may be a mix, which doesn't make him/her any less loveable, just not all Pyr (and hey not everybody can be totally "Pyrfect"!  ::) ;))  The double dews may show up in a mix, it doesn't happen often, but it is possible, that gene may just have shown a little stronger in this dog then it did in it's litter mates.  ;)  Kinda like a child from a family with all black hair being born a blonde.  her parents may have black hair, and their parents may have had black hair, but her great grandfather may have been a blonde, and that's where the gene came from.  ;)  I'd love to see a picture of this pup if you or your daughter has one.  You know just to help answer your question a little more definatively, not for my own personal enjoyment at all.  ;) ;)

Here is the link to view him,go to Kerri,he is in Raleigh, which is near us.
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10102137

His looks will not hender her decision but we took a look at him and said he didnt look much like a pyr.Doesnt matter to her,shes wanting a large dog,she has a rat terrier now,she loves Bear so decided maybe on a pyr..shes still looking around,but liked Kerri.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 02:18:23 pm by GreatPyr »
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 02:35:41 pm »
I agree,maybe they have him in the wrong rescue,maybe they thought pyr.It matters to a point because if they have the wrong breed labled on this dog or with any dog in any rescue situation that can play a part on the temperment and overall demeanour,size of the dog,so getting the breed half way right is important.Hes a real cutie though ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 02:36:27 pm by GreatPyr »
Tigger-barn kitty

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:55:32 pm »
The dog that I adopted out tonight was a Pyr mix with double dew claws. So yes a mix can have the double dew claws. He looks to have Kuvasz in him. Please have your daughter research both breeds before making a decision. The one that I adopted out tonight had a lot of the Lab personality. High strung etc. Finally after a lot of training he is exhibiting more of the laid back traits of the Pyrenees.

I know that a lot of back yard breeders breed two different breeds together and then call them designer dogs- well NO, they are usually a design flaw. Most of the ones that I have encountered seem to exhibit the worst of both breeds vs the good of the two breeds.

I think though that all dogs should be given the opportuniy to present thier true selves and that is hard to do in a photo on the computer- Go meet the dog- spend a lot of time and then decide- Kerri may be the best dog ever.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:03:43 pm »
When I clicked that link and saw Kerri I immediately thought, "wow, that's one beautiful, friendly looking Kuvasz mix".  He could be mixed with a Pyr, but his ears are far to high on his head, and muzzle too long and thin IMO.  He could very well have some lab in him too, he looks like he's got nice short straight fur.  Either way, he's adorable, and I think your sis should definately make the time to go meet him in person.  :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 11:00:32 am »
The dog that I adopted out tonight was a Pyr mix with double dew claws. So yes a mix can have the double dew claws. He looks to have Kuvasz in him. Please have your daughter research both breeds before making a decision. The one that I adopted out tonight had a lot of the Lab personality. High strung etc. Finally after a lot of training he is exhibiting more of the laid back traits of the Pyrenees.

I know that a lot of back yard breeders breed two different breeds together and then call them designer dogs- well NO, they are usually a design flaw. Most of the ones that I have encountered seem to exhibit the worst of both breeds vs the good of the two breeds.

I think though that all dogs should be given the opportuniy to present thier true selves and that is hard to do in a photo on the computer- Go meet the dog- spend a lot of time and then decide- Kerri may be the best dog ever.

Great info,Thanks...kerri is in Raleigh so she can actually go and see/spend time to decide.
Tigger-barn kitty