Author Topic: Weight Chart?  (Read 71442 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Weight Chart?
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:21:31 pm »
Does anyone know where to locate a Pyr Weight chart? I have found the chart by kgs by a breeder and I found the saint and newf charts but nothing pyrs.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Weight Chart?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 02:41:16 pm »
I Did..But the scale is her own personal dogs,,,I want a generic Pyr chart,allthough its something to go by.
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:20:40 pm »
to be honest a scale ain't gonna be no help cuz Bears gonna grow how bears gonna grow but i'll have a snoop round the net for one
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:21:01 pm by arkydo »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 10:25:39 pm »
to be honest a scale ain't gonna be no help cuz Bears gonna grow how bears gonna grow but i'll have a snoop round the net for one
LOL! You are right about that!!!
The only thing you should go with is not to let your pup grow more than 2-3 lbs a week. From all the pyrs pup I've known is
3 months=30 lbs
4=40
5=50 and so on on average
Males are usually about 5-10 lbs heavier than females
It all depends on parents and pups diet
As long as puppy is lean and playful you shouldn't be worry about growth chart  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 05:03:45 am »
I would like to compare to see if he is in the normal range,meaning to heavy or to small...I weigh him each week but doesnt tell me anything if i dont know what the norm weight is at that time ;D

He is 4 months and weighs 53.4

People whisperer,Was that scale for a female?
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:21:45 am »
At 4 months males are usually 45-50 or a little more
Bear is a nice big pup :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:22:30 am »
Try this. I used it as an example to follow Trippers weight gain. It's in Kilos so just convert. I think he is average for a large male. Trippers weight was pretty much like your Big Bear.

http://members.tripod.com/pyrmont/chart1.html

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:38:36 am »
You do not go by a chart but how the body feels when you put your hands on him.  Each dog grows differently and the key is to keep him in a lean weight for his body structure  That is you should be able to easily feel ribs and even just the points of his hips.  There are many different bloodlines in Pyrs-all with different weight and growth patterns and the national'average' may have nothing to do with your individual dog.  He is a beautiful pup by the way

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 09:58:05 am »
I said I used it as an example. Just to see where he was at in his growth. Yes I agree with what you said, but Bears mom being a first time pyr owner from what I can see is just wondering if he's in the norm. I was the same way. Obviously we don't have the same experince as yourself seeing as you're a breeder. So I don't think looking at a chart to compare growth is a bad thing or misleading.

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:42:34 am »
I do follow the feel the ribs rule,My vet really stresses this to me,Bear body wise is not fat,he is thick but stomach not fat and ribs are easily felt,he is alot of fur more then anything else :D  But I do like to see if he is in the norm for most pyrs.

Tigger-barn kitty

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 10:54:48 am »
You do not go by a chart but how the body feels when you put your hands on him.  Each dog grows differently and the key is to keep him in a lean weight for his body structure  That is you should be able to easily feel ribs and even just the points of his hips.  There are many different bloodlines in Pyrs-all with different weight and growth patterns and the national'average' may have nothing to do with your individual dog.  He is a beautiful pup by the way

You are right,I know they all grow at different rates and sizes,but if i had a I guess on the average chart it would give me an idea of where he is.I do follow the feel the ribs rule pretty good.

Thanks,he is a real sweetie!
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 06:55:26 pm »
The growth charts can be misleading cause what is normal for one bloodline is not normal for another   Example I currently have 3 11 month old puppies.  The small female is 26 1/2 inches tall and only 65 pounds- absolutely normal for her age and structure and she is winning in the ring.  Her littermate is almost 30 inches tall and weighs 105 pounds- still absolutely normal and within the standard- he already has his championship. Both of these pups are on the thin side. The second female, a different litter is almost 28 inches tall and 95 pounds and she is a little overweight although her height is absolutely normal- (her weight comes from her mom who just looks at food and gets fat and she is the same way) All three are the same age but the weights range from 65 pounds to 105 pounds and they all would be considered normal for their body structure. At maturity, knowing my dogs lines and growth patterns I can bet the male will be about 120 pounds and both of the females will be taller and about 100- 105. Yep that little 65 pounder is easily going to be 100 pounds at maturity! My male puppies usually get their full height in their first year whereas my females seem to have 2 growth periods and usually go up another 2 inches or so after their first year.  When I first started breeding I can remember obsessing that the female pups were tiny but learned they just grew differently  Now I obsess over these male puppies growing so fast in their first year!  But these are the characteristic s of my lines - other lines are different-  there are still areas of the country that seem to breed smallish Pyrs and other areas have giants>  So what is 'normal'is a hard call to make

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 09:00:52 pm »
The growth charts can be misleading cause what is normal for one bloodline is not normal for another   Example I currently have 3 11 month old puppies.  The small female is 26 1/2 inches tall and only 65 pounds- absolutely normal for her age and structure and she is winning in the ring.  Her littermate is almost 30 inches tall and weighs 105 pounds- still absolutely normal and within the standard- he already has his championship. Both of these pups are on the thin side. The second female, a different litter is almost 28 inches tall and 95 pounds and she is a little overweight although her height is absolutely normal- (her weight comes from her mom who just looks at food and gets fat and she is the same way) All three are the same age but the weights range from 65 pounds to 105 pounds and they all would be considered normal for their body structure. At maturity, knowing my dogs lines and growth patterns I can bet the male will be about 120 pounds and both of the females will be taller and about 100- 105. Yep that little 65 pounder is easily going to be 100 pounds at maturity! My male puppies usually get their full height in their first year whereas my females seem to have 2 growth periods and usually go up another 2 inches or so after their first year.  When I first started breeding I can remember obsessing that the female pups were tiny but learned they just grew differently  Now I obsess over these male puppies growing so fast in their first year!  But these are the characteristic s of my lines - other lines are different-  there are still areas of the country that seem to breed smallish Pyrs and other areas have giants>  So what is 'normal'is a hard call to make

In that respect I would say you are right,I have seen small pyrs and ones that are as large as Saints,I guess thats  maybe why there are no pyr weight charts available,You can find a weight chart on many other breeds but the pyrs,I wonder if this is why,to variable?

Since you breed pyrs and know of the growth...what do you think of Bear..he is 4 months and at 53.4 pounds,he is not fat but looks stocky,he gains about 4 to 5 pounds a week,is this typical at this age does it slow up speed up etc? any info would be great!
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 09:58:05 pm »
Sounds like Bear is growing just fine ;D I was sooo obsessing over Miles' weight in the early months since he was very underweight from worms. I was searching for charts and everything else. I took Miles to the vet, (my third try on vets) and he said Miles looked great for his age. He said he would be a relatively small pyr (probably 90 pounds at maturity...alr eady surpassed THAT estimate)....it was like after he said that...he just shot right up! He was pretty small the first 4 months of his life, then totally made up for it in the months after.

His first vet visit, I remember he only weighed 9 pounds. This was when he was about 8 weeks old. He looked healthy for his height and weight though (even though he was NOT! haha).

Bear seems perfect!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 10:06:16 pm »
He is a beautiful pup but looks a little plump in what I can see in his pics.  Hard to tell with all that puppy fur as they can look plump and still be really thin underneath.  Now pics can be deceiving too but 54 pounds at 4 months is BIG!!  Could be he is just fine just going to end up a big male. And they do have different growth spurts  A lot of times they seem to gain weight right before they shoot up.  So they go thru plump skinny plump skinny until they near the end of their height growth. However My big male pups are only about 40-45 pounds at that age. Now at 5 months they are in the 50 pound range but not at 4 months.  I do keep my pups very lean during their first year.  Actually I don't- they self regulate as I free feed kibble and there is food down 24 hours a day.  Oleysa had a good answer- a weight gain of 2-3 lbs per week seems to keep a nice condition on these pups as a rule.