Author Topic: Do you brush your dogs teeth?  (Read 6903 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Do you brush your dogs teeth?
« on: March 12, 2008, 07:53:00 pm »
Hi everyone,
My brother just came back from the vet (he has a Jack Russell) and was told that he should be brushing his teeth regularily. My vet has never told me that and I have never really read much about it either. Is this something that you all do?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Do you brush your dogs teeth?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:58:51 pm »
I don't brush Lily's teeth because she would not let me put the brush in her mouth BUT I do use tooth wipes every week or so and I scale your teeth myself...for some reason she doesn't mind that. She just lays there and let me scrape the heck out of it, LOL!
I do think it's important to take care of dog's teeth because bacteria causes all kinds of diseases in dogs :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:02:13 pm »
Teeth wipes and scaling teeth... can you explain more I am not familiar with either of those things.. ??? :-[
I feel like a bad mom all of a sudden!
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:27:33 pm »
Here is the scaler
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000M5NA1E?ie=UTF8&condition=new&tag=nextag-pet-mp-20&creative=380345&creativeASIN=B000M5NA1E&linkCode=asm
I just scale all the yellow stuff of of Lily's teeth every 3 months or so. It's really easy to mess up and only takes 5 minutes :)
Teeth wipes I use are these but there are plenty of other brands

http://www.allivet.com/D-D-S-Dental-Wipes-p/16002.htm

P.S You shouldn't feel like a bad momma  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 08:36:01 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 09:03:27 pm »
Hmmm :-\ I don't clean Rosie's teeth either. I just try to prod her to chew more on her dentabones and dentapears.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Ida

• Gnawer
  • Great Dane Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:22:37 pm »
We brush our danes teeth several times a week.  Doing it since they were puppies.  They get a treat at the end, a dentabone!  :D
Ida

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:24:33 pm »
I don't , but my Vet always checks them and always says they look good, when she says thy dont look good i'll probably see how the boys take to it

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 08:03:49 am »
I brush Sierra's teeth.  I try to do it once at least once a week, but she doesn't like it and if she fights me too much on it, I'll give up.  It's not worth getting full of toohpast slobber and the vet has said her teeth look good though.  When there starts to be a probelm, I'll be more willingto get messy.  Until then, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 12:40:55 pm »
I rub a little toothpaste on Najas teeth with my finger and massage her gums with my finger as well.  She won't tolerate a toothbrush or that silly finger brush thing either.  I try to do this at least once a week, but have been slacking as of late.  :-[  I've been thinking of getting a scaler myself but haven't noticed any build up so I guess it just never occured to me while at the pet store.  She does also get lots of Denta Bones too though.   ;) :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 12:50:28 pm »
No tooth brushing here,I give my guys plenty of chew things like knuckles,rawhides..extra...the vet checks them each vet visit so far so good,not saying its not a good thing to do but I just dont.I can barley get my son to brush his :P

Ps..I love the new Avatar of Marley,that is a really good pic!
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 02:14:57 pm »
It depends on the dog.  My boys get plenty of Denta-Bones, Marrow Bones etc... but they still occasionally get plaque build up.  As gross as this sounds I use a finger nail to scrape the plaque off, they are both OK with that.  I was not a big believer in the whiole  brushing thing until a friend who is a vet gave me the low down on what mouth bacteria related to plaque can actaully lead to,  I had no idea all the bad things it can do.  I initially thought it was more of a vanity thing but he attributed part of my danes long life (12.5 years) to good dental hygeine.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 08:06:56 pm »
I do religiously

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 11:03:59 pm »
I had been doing them all about 3 times a week for several months but have slacked off as of late.  They have about 6-8 bones (have no idea what kind, shank maybe) laying around that are constantly chewed on.  Well, except for Keiko she gets them when they are new but after a few hours she's done.

But her and Gunther's teeth are pretty good, although her gums aren't great.  Nigel's are also okay, but Posey's teeth are the ones I have to keep an eye on and do scrape the tartar off with my finger.  I want to get a scaler as all 4 allow me to pick at their teeth.

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 02:09:23 pm »
We try to catch each of the pups 2-3 times per week.  We have to work one at a time with the others either crated or outside the house.  They absolutely love the toothpaste part - the toothbrush is another story.  We have moved back to the finger tip brushes and seem to be having a much easier time. Anything having to do with what a mal considers "food" works well and can be done!  Our vet was very very concerned about making a good attempt to brush a few times a week.  We try out best - but we could do better.  We also use the dentabones and always have a supply of a variety of bones around the house and in their crates.
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

marypyrs

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 02:24:22 pm »
I do the finger tip brush every day and the brush a couple times a week on my guys. HOWEVER ~ let it be known ~ 

#1 I have no children at home.
#2 I have no husband at home. (hahaha)
#3 I am (thank God!) Retired!

So I do have a lot of time that many & most of you do not. Brushing or finger tip brushing a couple times a week and raw marrow bones worked well for my guys over many years & many fur babies.  ;)