Author Topic: NDR but URGENT - reptile folks, I need help!  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
NDR but URGENT - reptile folks, I need help!
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:27:38 pm »
My Ball Python, Tasia, is having problems, and it's too late to reach a vet now, but I'm freaking out. Her history: she is about 1, I adopted her from the H.S. about three weeks ago or so. She came home from there getting ready to shed. She also came home from there with mites.  >:( I bathed her in betadine, disinfected the cage, did everything for mites. I then followed up with the H.S. vet and he saw her and gave her an injection. By then, the mites had already affected her shed, and it was patchy. I gave her some plain water soaks to help her along, per vet instructions. Her belly skin was the last to be ready - I didn't force it or pull it - I just left it all ragged, figuring she'd get it off herself. I fed her one week ago and she ate with no problems. I then left her alone to digest and finish her shed. Today, after a week, I took her out to clean her enclosure and OMG!! Her underbelly scales are mushy and brown, some are crusty and scabby looking and it is horrible!!! I don't know what is going on! Skin infection? Burn? She doesn't have a hot rock and I've been really careful about keep her enclosure safe from burn sources. Her under the tank heater has a carpet substrate over it and she doesn't get under the carpet (velcro). Any suggestions? I will try to photograph the areas, but she balls up really tighly and flinches when I try to get a look.  :'(  :'( Help!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: NDR but URGENT - reptile folks, I need help!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:01:06 pm »
I'm no expert, and i can't remember exactly what it is called, but it sounds like a commen infection that can occur with snakes that don't shed completely.

Defnintely get him to a vet when you are able to. Mites can really mess up with their shedding cyles.

Humidity levels can also cause problems with this as well. 

angelsmama

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:29:20 pm »
it sounds like scale rot.. it can kill her fast if not treated.. is her tank too humid & damp? that's a main cause of it... for now paper towel bedding & dilute peroxide and water.. put it on a clean tissue and blot her belly where its bad.. she needs immediate care, as it can affect them internally as well..

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:47:27 pm »
Thank you!! I plan on getting her seen tomorrow ASAP. It looks so bad. Her tank is really not that humid, but I was giving her lots of warm soaks to help with her shed. However, I dried her off afterward. Poor thing. I can't stand the thought of me having dome something wrong.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

angelsmama

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 11:53:43 pm »
oh it takes a while for this to kick in.. they have to be like that for days in a soaked environment.. probably from her previous owners.. might've been kept in a nasty dirty soaked tank.. i put my 2 ball pythons in the tub all the time (never together.. one is twice the size of the other) so a soak here n there wont do it.. here's different pictures of it

that look like her belly?

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 11:55:28 pm »
Yes - the top one, the really gross one. It's so awful...
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

angelsmama

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 12:00:03 am »
it's  severe scale rot call first thing in the morning tell them how bad it is.. this will kill her if untreated