Poll

what food have you is the best for your LBD? Least amount of nutrients lost in stools?

Fromms
0 (0%)
Inova
9 (37.5%)
Nutro
1 (4.2%)
Other?
14 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Best quality dog food ie: least loss of nutrients through stools  (Read 4614 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Thinking of changing Marley's food as he seems to eat quite a few cups compared to other users experience... just thinking about it right now and trying to gather your expert opinions :D
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Best quality dog food ie: least loss of nutrients through stools
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:42:09 pm »
I am by no means an expert, but I like Innova Large Breed formula for Jenny. I had tried Merrick, which she loved, but I felt that she did better "stool wise" with the Innova. I also like that it is specially formulated for Large Breed dogs.

Tipper has been on Innova adult for years and he is in amazing shape, has the softest coat, and has been in great health. I recently tried Innova Evo for him for some protein source variety and he did great with that as well.

I also give them both the canned Merrick varieties as a treat on top of their dry food about 2-3 times a week. They really love that, too!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:43:22 pm by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 08:49:11 pm »
Of the foods you listed I vote Innova as well. It's a great quality food that I'd probably still be feeding if I could get it a little more locally.

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:05:39 pm »
In my experience,the Innova and Natural Balance are the ones I have noticed my guys have less waste(not as much poop)so they are actually digesting it much better then some other foods we have been on.I am also a fan of Taste of the Wild,I like the ingredients in all of these foods.

I do the monthly food switch..every month I cycle between these foods to offer a variety of protein sources and ingredients each food holds,my dogs get a variety of nutrients and meat source.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:48:37 pm »
Well, I voted Innova, even though I feed Miles California Natural. Both foods are made by the same company though. This is the ony food (Herring and Sweet Potato in particular) that Miles has had good poo on. We think he may have alot of food allergies. The California Natural is pretty hypoallergenic with only 9 ingredients in all. His poo is large (but what do you expect from a big paw!?), but he does not go as often as he did on other foods...theref ore I would say he does go less and absorb more nutrients.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

List

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 10:36:26 pm »
I agree with Holly. Grain free gets the best poops with Boston.  So far he's done best on Orijen, Solid Gold BATM and Legacy (from Horizon). We rotate through grain-free foods, since he just doesn't seem to tolerate grains (in particular, rice) well. He's been on Canidae, Innova, and Wellness SS, and all of these resulted in horrible giant loose poops.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:26:31 am »
I voted other.  I feed Canidae All Life Stages for both my big and little paw and they both seem to be diong well on it.  Naja poops 2 times a day somedays 3, and they are always well formed and relatively small (well small for a pyr I guess lol).  Moo Poos a little more often, but all in all they are healthy, happy, with soft coats and lots of puppy energy.  :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:14:16 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. We decided to try Canidae and so far it is a success. Marley loves it and seems full on about 4 cups as opposed to the 6-8 of Nutro. This is why I love this site! so much experience and great information! Thanks again everyone.
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 10:14:21 am »
I'm so glad that you found a food for Marley that you feel good about and that he's doing well on. Congrats!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 12:02:01 pm »
We just switched Jack (our Pyr) and Greta (our Swissy) over to Innova EVO (actually we're still in the process of transitioning).  Already there is much less poop and it's a better consistency.  They are also eating less food and seem to still be full.  Yay EVO!!!
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!