Author Topic: Calling all single Pyr / single dog families  (Read 5313 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Calling all single Pyr / single dog families
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:09:01 pm »
Just curious... what behaviour does your pyr display as a single dog in the family? I frequently ponder getting some livestock or perhaps another dog...only because I think my pyr's independance or lying around a lot is boredom. My husband on the other hand thinks I think of him too much as a human not a dog and most dogs like to sleep alot when not playing... any thoughts?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

bigdogs@5501

Re: Calling all single Pyr / single dog families
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:38:32 pm »
So you are thinking of another dog because he sleeps a lot? There are 7 adult Pyrenees in my home now and they all sleep a lot.
I think that a companion for your dog would be great- dogs are pack animals and they learn so much from each other, but he isnt suffering any damage being an only dog either.

Also not all Pyrenees are live stock dogs- I have a few of the throw aways here at my house because they were not live stock dogs.

Offline elaine

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:51:44 pm »
Hi,
Liesl is still only a pyrpup( nearly 10mnths), but she is quite busy doing her own things. She has a treat ball that makes the rounds of the house, chews toys etc, watches what's happening out the window etc.  We also have 2 cats, one of which she plays with regularily though out the day and the other that she licks!
She has a dog friend that she walks with everyday and really enjoys being with.  I don't think that "only" dogs become any lonlier than multi dog homes.  It always depends on the attention the individual gets, personality and distractions available.
I would love another dog, but my husband definately wouldn't!
Elaine

Offline Tobias our Big Boy

• Gnawer
  • Toby is such a gentle giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 06:35:41 pm »
We have a 1 yr Pyr and he is fine alone. He is busy running along the fenceline with the neighbor dogs and getting attention from us. He wants to play, but he is happy just playing with our two little boys, taunting our 8yr old cat, and sleeping on the kitchen floor. He sleeps alot, but we take him on evening walk or morning walks, whenever it is colder. We keep him busy by taking him every Saturday to a local nursing home. Giving them a purpose, or a job, makes them happy. He is so gentle and is very patient. I would advise trying something like that. If you are worried about your Pyr sleeping or feeling alone, give 'em something that is for them only, a job. A visit somewhere or yard helping. Anything that keeps them involved like a kid. It works for us and he is great.
Tobias (Toby) 1yr 3/4 Pyrenees/ 1/4 Anatolian
2 little boys 3 1/2 yr and 1 1/2 yr

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 07:15:06 pm »
I had an inquiry here one day about Pyrs and my friend answered the phone.  When asked what Pyrs are good at without hesitation he says "They are really good at sleeping"  Pyrs sleep a lot even as young dogs!  That being said I am a firm believer in that dogs should have a dog buddy- they are really not humans and they should have an opportunity to just be a dog.