Author Topic: difference in guarding behavior  (Read 9378 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Re: difference in guarding behavior
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 02:48:22 pm »
Not H%ll bent on anything other then read up on your pyrs then,they are different then most breeds,they have an ancient Guarding instinct bred into them.Besdies the pyr thing,Jeny barking at mom at the door is not unusual at all in a dog period...I said if she had growled or tried to snap then theres a problem,but to bark and let her know someones just entered the house is being a plan good watch/guard dog or whatever you would like to call it.I would not expect any different especially from a PYR.

While I'm sure you are well-intentioned, GrPyr, I must caution you to air on the side of caution in your expectations of the Pyrenees and socialization of the same. A "small amount" of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing. Reading articles over a few months does not qualify a person's expertise.

I know you love your Babe. He's a darling boy. But I question what your end goal will be.

I have taken in many "rescues" over the years who required more work and socialization than you could ever believe. All because their "People" thought it would be cool to have a guard/attack dog. It backfired. In this day and age - there is NO need for such a thing. AND in this day and age, there is no more need for that than having a loaded gun in the house. (IMHO)

[/quote]

My intensions with Bear is to be a wonderful companion to me and my family as well as a Guardian for us and property and other animals...that s what they are bred for,why would that be such a horrbile thing? And indeed this day in time we need all the protection we can get ;)
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse