Author Topic: Need some leash training tips  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Need some leash training tips
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:44:21 am »
Normally I know exactly how to move forward on training new pups but these guys have me a bit confused.

Neither Cisco nor Annie is leash trained- and they are stuborn as mules. She told me she had never put either on lead, which at the time I found odd enough especially for Cisco- I know if I was planning to show a dog I sure as heck would be working on gaiting and lead work way before 5 months, but to each his own. I guess she just had her hands full with the other dogs and hadn't started their training yet.

Neither of these guys are willing to train easily lol. I put a leash on them and they become limp solid furry boulders. I offer hotdogs and liver mush and squeeky toys and get down and pat the ground and try to get them to just WALK on a leash (even without me holding it) and they wag their tails and maybe take a tiny step then lay back down.

No progress so far! Any advice?

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Need some leash training tips
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:50:36 am »
Try putting leash on and totally ignore them...sooner or later they will move and after they move comfortably without paying attention to it you can start picking it up. :) ;)
Lily was like that with her back pack. She would stand like a stomp and not move. After a while she got tired and started walking  ;D
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress  :-*
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:56:26 am »
Off leash they come to me willingly, but the second I put a leash on their collars (they accepted the collars with no problems) they freeze. Peanut butter, cheese, hotdogs, liver, all is ignored as soon as they realize they have a leash on. If I sit down they sit in the middle of the floor and look at me pitifully as if they are stuck to the floor with glue. If I unclip the leash they unfreeze and go wiggling off. I'm stumped!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:50:45 am »
Well, I put the leashes on them at 10 am and they are just not starting to move LOL. Annie ran off first finally wanting to chase a toy, and now they are playing with the leashes on. Hopefully they will learn they arent snakes soon!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets