Author Topic: Do you have a GPS (O/T)  (Read 3071 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Do you have a GPS (O/T)
« on: March 20, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »
Hi everyone,

We are looking into buying a portable GPS system for our car.  It looks as though we will be doing some traveling this summer for my sons baseball team and I am GREAT at getting lost.

I know I want a 4.3" screen and voice command...but that is all I know so if anyone has a GPS they love or hate or just suggestions as to what I may look for please let me know.

Harley isn't overjoyed about this new travel but thankfully we have a WONDERFUL neighbor who will take excellent care of him!!

As always thanks for any advise

Randy

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have a GPS (O/T)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:02:53 pm »
i am great at getting lost too!!! If my head wasn't attached i would have lost that 20 years ago.  We have a magellian gps, and it is great. It tells you where all banks, gas, food is and it is by AAA so it has trip planners, it gives voice command or you can turn it on mute.  It is great and i love it... i would be lost today if i didn't have it!!!!!!

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 10:11:16 pm »
We just bought the Garmin Nuvi 250. (on sale at future shop Liz ;) ) It's the 4.3" screen and it has voice commands which I find rather annoying. LOL We tested it out a couple times today and it works pretty good. Price wise it's decent too.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 10:24:00 pm »
I so want one.  i can get lost in a paper bag with the lights on.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:14:14 am »
The one that's $169 was so tiny and hubby wasn't impressed with it so he went up one model. For the extra 50-60 bucks it was worth it just for the larger screen. He loves it.. he even mapped out the route to Timmy's and home to check how it works. LOL

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:45:24 am »
Thanks for the advise - I am going out today to look our first baseball excursion is in a few weeks we are going from Rochester NY - West Virginia!

Randy

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 10:18:41 am »
we have a garmin also. and i love it ... We had another, i think megellin (?) but it would get us terribly lost. it would have arrow saying "Turn left" and the voice would say Turn Right. Because in busy down town cities, you can't really watch the GPS so the voice is great to have sometimes. lol.
so we traded it in for the garmin and its awesome. mind you tho, we have to take it to get the voice fixed, it fell off our windshiled and the voice stopped. Still works amazing tho ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 07:23:39 am »
Well I bought a GPS last night - Magellin 4260 or something like that - it was more than I wanted to spend but I want the GPS for dummies model - I want it to speak turn by turn instructions - large screen (4 inch) and bluetooth so I don't have to wear that annoying ear piece.

I actually don't know if I will keep this one the guy at best buy seemed knowledgable but seemed to be going back and forth between the two models I was looking at.  This one was on sale so I brought it home, maybe the other one will be on sale this week?

I saw the pink one - hubby said "I don't think so it is bad enough there are stuffed bears all over the truck - the pink GPS doesn't go with the Harley stickers!

Holly - That is so funny!!  I think my GPS will go out the window if it starts getting snitty with me!

Thanks again,
I will report back with updates for people who are considering buying a GPS

Randy

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 11:08:43 am »
HaHa!  Good for you!  I know you've already got yours but I just wanted to add my two cents.  I've got the Garmin Nuvi250 somethingoroth er, with the voice commands.  yes it gets a little snitty, and sometimes it'll downright tell you to take a U-Turn if it thinks you're a complete dummy.  Mine gets me a little lost sometimes.  The other week I was on my way to St. Thomas and it took me through Wrong Turn territory!   Iwas convince I was either going to slide off a steep embankment during the snow storm we were having, or some crazy inbred hill billies were going to through a spikey chain across the road to kill me and roast me over an open fire!   :o ;) :)

I also need to update the maps in it, when I got it, it was missing the new highway going into Stoney Creek here in Ontario, so I'm sure any roads updated within the last 2-3 years won't be on it.

Other then those I absolutely LOVE it and kinda like the British voice, 'cause she sounds like an English School Marm!  lol  ::) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!