Author Topic: Shedding  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Winston

• Gnawer
  • Santa Paws
    • View Profile
Shedding
« on: August 02, 2005, 03:00:37 pm »
 :-\Our English Mastiff puppy is shedding really bad this summer and his hair feels so dry.  We have him on Advanced Puppy Diet and he also gets IAMS Gravy mixed in with his food once a day for a little more vitamins & nutrients.  Anything else we can do to help him produce more natural oil in his coat?  He is indoors other than walks, play & potty times. This is our second English Mastiff and never had the problem with the first.  Thanks! : :-*
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill

Offline tessajane

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Shedding
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 04:07:36 pm »
I have an apricot 1 year old that sheds quite a bit in the bigging of the summer, our lab/oem sheds tons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Our new puppy who is about 3.5 months has not started sheding.  With the lab/oem mix we try to brush her every day and that seems to help.  I would love to hear so other solutions too.

Offline Winston

• Gnawer
  • Santa Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:12:45 pm »
What wonderful girls!!!! Brushing doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.  Seems like shampooing and cream rinsing helps more but I really don't like to do that a lot as I think eventually that prohibits natural oil making.  Appreciate the pics and feedback though! Thanks.
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 08:28:45 am »
Try living with 2 Shilohs & a GSD (don't even notice cat hair with them around). Kiya just blew out her coat, shes getting better but still don't hug her if you have a black shirt on. Apache's coat is so thick, but he doesn't seem to shed like Kiya & Chazzy. If its any consolation even my horse is shedding, he's gonna be getting fall coat. I dont shampoo more than maybe 1x a month, & brush, brush, & more brushing.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 12:53:36 pm »
Maia doesn't shed much.  She almost 15 months.  I rake her about once a week and still don't get much hair. 
She also won't spend more than 30 minutes outside if it's hot.  So, her days are spent in the air conditioning trying to conserve as much energy as possible.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs